Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. knackko

knackko Registered

2. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Race: Fanatec 12h of Sebring
    Scenario: Adam Pinczes in the car about to finish his stint with 4 hours into the race. I joined spectator and have been riding with him for 2-3 laps.
    Video below shows Adams POV: Suddenly he lost the front right wheel, had to crawl back to pits and instead of driver swap, AI took over.
    My POV: Screen freeze, then seemingly the car had become under my control mid-driving, it hit the wall and stopped in the grass. Other cars kept driving, but it showed our car to be stopped. So it appears as we were in two parellel realities at once. I quit after 20-25sec but couldnt rejoin before AI had control of the car.

Video:

My logs attached
    Adams logs:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hx1alQ1iAqS8i2_0osH2BGgDsV3peLXZ/view

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. geepee

geepee Registered

I am not sure if logs from someone NOT having the freeze issue themselves but noticing a moment in another car can be helpful, but here is my trace and replay file anyway

in replay around timestamp 802 car no 81 transported right in front of me and a sec later transported right behind me
    https://geepeester.stackstorage.com/s/pnAfQ7Mro5UVjqd

4. ude

ude Registered

5. felippe kiss

felippe kiss Registered

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Marcel Offermans and @Christopher Elliott May i repeat my wish, to get the possibility to completely deactivate this logging?
    Please give it to us. :)
    It's really unnecessary to have it running permanently for those who have no problems, which is the majority, i guess.
    And the ones who need to log it, can still use it.
    Or is there a special reason to have it running permanently?

Alex72 and Davvid like this.
  7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Maybe i could do this if i was one of the devs, but i will also collect all your data, steam account, etçª just in case you have a problem related and would be offered NO support...

Kevin van Dooren likes this.
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry i don't understand what you try to tell me, but it seems that you have a problem with my wish.
    So what is your problem?
    I don't want to take something away, i just want to have the possibilty to deactivate the logging, if it's not needed.

9. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

Why do you want to turn it off? I don't think it needs a lot of resources.

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I don't have problems with your wish, i have problems with people selfish like you! If rF2 has bugs EVERYBODY should help, you might not have problems, but suddently you might have! And then? That's why i said that people that don't want to contribute to help developers should be placed out of any kind of help if they eventually have problems...

Do you have any special info about the performance hit with this turned on?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Adam Helyes likes this.
  11. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It seems as if you don't want to understand.
    I stop this senseless discussion with you now.

12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, i don't understand, i'm just waiting for for you to tell me where 1GB of files that go rotating or performance hit you saw that makes you want to turn it off...

13. Filip

Filip Registered

How will his log file help anyone if he doesn't upload it to the devs?
    What you are talking doesn't make sense.

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

My God...

Of course nobody will send it to the devs if they don't have problems, but the question is (and that's why this was implemented), what if they suddently have problems? Can you guys at least understand this? Guess is not that difficult!

Damian Baldi and Adam Helyes like this.
  15. Michi Hoyer

Michi Hoyer Member

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I have mentioned in another thread that I have lag and rubber banding and have noticed that it seems more prominent when there are a lot of cars (tested off line so AI) pitting / re-joining. Not sure if it's relevant but may be worth looking into??

17. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

I am watching Michis youtube channel from time to time and lags after turn 10 are noticeable on every Sebring race videos he made.

18. Filip

Filip Registered

Aha!
    You are afraid that if I suddenly get problems I will not be able to reproduce it later with logging activated?

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

Calling the user bernd selfish is really ridiculous.
    He is one of the people here in the forum, that always try to help.
    And you should learn to accept, that people can have other opinions like you.
    It's obvious that you don't understand, that the option that he wants to get, to deactivate the logging, is just an option.
    Everybody could use it or not.
    But the people that don't want to have the logging as a permanent activity, should have the option to deactivate it.

Prodigy and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  20. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Let me answer the very valid question that @Bernd is asking. As most of you know, the problems that a few people are having with "freezes" are very hard to reproduce and (so far) diagnose for us. They have been reported for quite a while and we have always tried to follow up with users reporting them, but what has made it hard for us is that nobody can really reproduce this easily and for some people the problem only happens maybe hours into their session, at a frequency of maybe once a month. And this has caused me (it was my decision) to decide that in this special case we wanted logging to be on for everybody, at least until we gather more data and get a better grip on the problem. And this was done for two reasons:
    1. The obvious one, we want to make sure that, if someone reports such an issue, we at least have a basic log file (only that option is on by default) that will show us the freeze and some information about it.
    2. We are actually also gathering some data from users who do not have problems, just to make sure we also have a good understanding of the data we see when things are fine.
    Just to be clear, this logging is only enabled by default for a limited time. As soon as we have a better grip on this issue (or issues) we will change this logging to become optional. I hope that clarifies our decision, and I also hope that people keep reporting freezes they have. So far we already have a few logs that help us, but we can still use more, so let's keep this topic "on topic" by posting those so our developers can keep analyzing data instead of wading through pages of discussions (which you are free to have in other topics, I'm not telling anybody to shut up).

1frey, boblevieux, Dookie and 22 others like this.