Violent force-feedback sometimes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Frankalexandre, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Frankalexandre

Frankalexandre Registered

Using a T500rs sometimes i get a too strong force feedback, specially on hard bumps and razor curbs. Not a very good fealing and feels like it will break the wheel. Only way i've found is reducing the force gain to 0.5 and increase smoothing to 20, but of course it makes all the other forces too low. I searched on the optimum force feedback thread but cant find the solution yet. Any tip?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Generally, the preset for any given wheel should provide good baseline settings that are optimal with that hardware. If you have used a different preset or the generic one, some forces may be too strong as you have described.

It may be worth your while to start with a fresh preset and build your profile from there but, first save your current profile under a unique name that is easily recognized. Then delete the preset for your wheel manually and use the Steam Verify Integrity feature to download a new preset for your wheel. Set your axis and buttons and save the new profile with a unique name, then test and see if that solves the issue.

Be aware that some default settings may be applied to the steering that you will want to change when using a new preset (Speed Sensitive Steering, etc.).

If that does not help, you can still manually edit the parameters in your custom controller.json relative to those forces that are too strong. I don't recall the specific parameters to edit but, that shouldn't be too hard to find. It's not uncommon to use .5 for the force strength in rF2 but, that seems like a lot of smoothening.

3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

this has been a (lets say flaw) in rf2 ffb for a long time, going offroad or hitting kerbs have been unproportionally strong compared to the overall feel. Would be nice for a separate slider for these effects but as its all in the physics - suppose you cant.

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I wouldn't call it a flaw. I'd call it hitting a curb. Load's of curbs arn't even meant to be driven on. They're there to stop you going off the tarmac, like a last chance buffer to stop you sliding onto the grass. They unsettle the car so much that time is lost. They max out the ffb in the same way that they will smash delicate suspension components.

As for off-road - there is a multiplier in the player.json for that.

atomed likes this.
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

but were using plastic toy wheels not a race designed steering rack.. :) need to compromise lol

Kelju_K likes this.
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Turn up caster, turn down multiplier.

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I actually don't think the newer cars have this issue any more tbh, ive found it in older cars and the painfull civic!

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I agree. This is something that needs to be fixed in rf2 internally. That rumblestrip magnitude setting in the controller file was working in rf1 but it has no function in rf2.
    That said, maybe track builders could take this into consideration when making the rumblestips to tracks untill there is a working setting ingame to adjust the volume of the rumblestrips. OR, alternatively ( dont know if this is possible, just a tought) make them rumblestrips to be offroad part of the track so that we can adjust the volume of the output with that offroad multiplier setting.
    Like LokiD said, most of us are using plastic toys that are not designed to this violent forces to be outputted constantly.