Triple monitor bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Javi288, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

After a while with VR I have returned to the triple screen. I have noticed that the right monitor has a small horizontal misalignment with the other two. I show it in the following image, it is a gap of about 2 or 3 mm.

LD0000514849.jpg

My three monitors are equal in size, I have them physically aligned and the configuration of
    the multiview mode is correct (both in NVIDIA properties and in rFactor2).

This doesn't happen with the rest of simulators that have multiview mode.

Is there a configuration file where it can be adjusted individually for each screen? I have checked config.ini and player.json and I do not see anything.

Thanks and regards.

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Delete Config_DX11 and try again.

3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

We have no way to vertically adjust the screens, they should indeed always be perfectly aligned if the hardware is.

4. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Thanks Ari. I'll try this.

Ari Antero likes this.
  5. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Thanks Marcel.

The height adjustment of the seat is a vertical adjustment of the three screens at the same time. If you could make this adjustment individually on the screen ... Are these values saved in a file that you could manipulate?

I have the three screens perfectly aligned horizontally.

6. Marcel Offermans

There's no easy way to do that, the seat adjustment is really an adjustment of the viewpoint (eye) and we use the same one for all screens. There must be something else going on in your case, although I must admit I don't know what.

7. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

After doing many tests on different circuits with different cars, I realized that the problem is that it shows the image on the side monitors larger than the center. I show it in a simplified way in the following image.
    Captura.JPG
    The first thing that caught my attention the other day, was the dashboard of cars with left hand drive. That's why it seemed to me that the right monitor showed the image at a lower height, but it wasn't that.

I have measured my three monitors again and they are equal in dimensions. Angles, distance from the eyes to the screens, bezel... all these values are correct in the multiscreen configuration tool of rFactor2.

I solved it by slightly increasing the dimensions of the side monitors in this tool (by increasing those values a little, the image shows smaller). I really don't know if it is a bug of this configuration tool or there is something else that I have not taken into account.

I have left to do a test eliminating the file config_dx11, in case the problem was there.

8. Marcel Offermans

Can you post a screenshot of the multiview widget with your settings? I am curious what's going on here.

9. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Now I'm not in front of my three monitors, this afternoon I'll show you a screenshot.

Thank you very much for your interest. Greetings.

Marcel Offermans likes this.
  10. zaphman

zaphman Registered

Question, is it really horizontal lines that are misaligned? If not, the following should do it:
    1. Using non bezel compensated resolution, i.e. 5760x1080 (and not the bezel compensated one like ~6000x1080)
    2. Multiview enabled (check from thread start)
    3. Triple tool setup, especially bezels and degrees (check from tread start)
    But if the misalignment is for pure horizontal lines (I don't know :eek: ) All lines should actually be able to align correctly between monitors, even though they might "deflect" somewhat when "passing" from one monitor to the other, if non optimal settings are used.

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

You have the value for monitor size vertically at the lower left of the triple screen app. Make sure that one is the same value for all monitors. Your side monitor that is stretched vertically tells me that value is different on that monitor. I can make it look like that if i want to by raising the value of this option. Mine on 1080p 24 inch monitors is around "340". If i click the chain link twice it sets it automatically to "337". But you have to do it for all 3 monitors. I know one of mine was also off. Make sure you go over ALL numbers on all 3 monitors in the app bly selecting them one by one at the top.

12. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

The horizontal lines were a simplification in my previous image, the problem is that the image on the side monitors is shown on a higher scale. This is more easily detected by looking at horizontal lines (especially at the ends of the screen, bottom and top).

All the points that you indicate to me I have executed them with care.
    - 5760x1080 from the nvidia control panel.
    - multiscreen mode activated from the initial configurator of rFactor2.
    - degrees and frames correctly measured and entered in rFactor2.

This afternoon I will show some screenshots where it is clearly seen.

Thanks zaphman. Greetings.

13. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Those values that you indicate me I have taken into account, both the vertical measurement and the horizontal measurement of the monitor.

I have physically measured my monitors and those are the values that I have set. Then I have been increasing the values of the side monitors until I have matched the image of the three.

I know that this app has an 'All' value that affects all three monitors at the same time and an individual value ('Left', 'Center', 'Right').

Thanks Alex72. Greetings.

14. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

And you still have this issue with one monitor being stretched? Hmm, very strange. It sounded like you put in the values but then maybe accidentally clicked the chain link or something similar where it messed up the vertical value. If its all the same but looks weird like that then i have no idea. Really strange. Nvidia Surround is turned on properly? Nothing in there you accidentally changed that would impact the screen?

15. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

I have reviewed all the details of the configuration several times and I don't see anything wrong. Many years ago I have this configuration of three monitors and I play many simulators (car, trucks, airplanes). I have even studied the mathematical formulas that are used for multiscreen configurations, but even so I may be doing something wrong and I have not realized it.

I don't know what can happen, maybe a poltergeist?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  16. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

In this screenshot you can see the same configuration for the three monitors and you can see a little the difference between the central monitor and the right one (although in the photo the perspective is deformed, in front of the monitors it is clearly seen).
    IMG-20190321-WA0005.jpg

I have a humble configuration with three monitors of 21.5 inches (26.8 cm height measured by me) and I stand with my eyes at 55 cm. away from the central monitor.

In this other image I show the adjustment I do with the side monitors and thus I can see it better, since I reduce a bit the image of the side monitors.
    IMG-20190321-WA0007.jpg

And so the values remain in the Config_DX11 file.

ViewParams = (0.476, 0.268, 0.550, 50.000, 0.035) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView = (0.490, 0.276, 0.550, 50.000, 0.035)
    RightView = (0.490, 0.276, 0.550, 50.000, 0.035)

17. Louis

Louis Registered

i think its wrongly bezel corrected and not same angle of multiview tool is showing
    (when using triple screen resolution, i use nvdia surround tool to make these adjsustments and left gap on multiview tool in zero)
    edit 2: using like this for a long time. At the time, was supposed to get better fps counting. But i really stopped trying to use multiview tool to correct the gap because its ok during a race but if you saw the replay and eventually get screenshots, it becomes cropped.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

If all your monitors are the same the screen, screen height (m) should be the same.

Edit, disregard unnecessary post.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA Javi is showing the lines after editing the side screens to try and better match the main one. That's why they have larger values. In the first example all 3 screens have the same values as the ViewParams shown. And now that we can see Javi knows where the values are I think we can discount an error using the UI :)

@Javi288 The fact you're seeing the view 'enlarged' is good, it's not some strange offset (up or down) that shouldn't happen. You may just need to adjust the distance for the side screens a bit as they probably aren't the exact same distance as the centre. Also check the bezel gap - I quickly found I couldn't use an actual measurement (though I have my own issues that may have influenced that), I just added and subtracted and used freelook (U by default, then you can move the view with your mouse) to move the camera left and right. By visually checking that objects like banners appeared the correct size when spanning the bezel area, or people appear to move smoothly from one screen to the next when I turn the camera, I found I could get to the correct figure. Sometimes it's easy to get confused about whether they're too skinny or too wide as they change screens, but a few clicks in either direction usually clears it up.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:oops:
    That's what happens when you don't actually read what you are reading.

Paulfield and Alex72 like this.