Too much time sinchronizing with steam

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by fernando.chicozamora, Mar 7, 2019.

1. fernando.chicozamora

fernando.chicozamora Registered

Every time i start the game, rf2 takes a lot of time with the warning "sinchronizing with steam workshop".
    At least 5 minutes o more, it's a nightmare
    Somebody can help me to reduce the time of loading

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The only way I've read is to reduce the number of mods, cars, & tracks. The more items you have installed, the longer the syncronizing.
    This may be something S397 needs to investigate with Steam though, it is becoming a fairly common topic.

Brack Jabham likes this.
  3. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

As per above, I unsubscribed to heaps of stuff -mostly stuff I never (or rarely) use. This helped a lot. Of course it takes a lot of time to unsubscribe when your subscription list is long...

4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It would be good if they made a 'Skip Syncronizing' button. I guess I don't need for it to check my tracks and cars every time I play.
    5 minutes is a long time, mine only takes about 30 seconds but.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think if I was racing in a league, and using rF2 to practice a-lot prior to races, I would make a 2nd lite install with just the league files. Of course I would have to LEARN how to make a lite install in Steam but I hear it is possible.

6. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

Clear download cache in Steam, it should help a bit too

7. svictor

svictor Registered

While it is slightly off topic, there is one important thing I'd like to mention regarding workshop.

By uninstalling RF2, all the mod that subscribed from workshop will be deleted (the whole RF2 workshop folder will be gone) alongside the game without ANY WARNING!
    That means if you have subscribed like 50-100Gb of mods, you will lose all of them and have to re-download that massive amount again (which is ridiculous).

Even transferring the game to another drive/folder is not easy, as not only steam will move RF2 game folder to the new drive, but also all the RF2 workshop stuff as well. That means if you have a SSD (which every bit of space is precious), you will have to give up a lot space for the workshop stuff (unless using some kind workaround, like creating symbolic link for workshop folder etc.)

But I guess there is no easy solution.....

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yep, that's how STEAM works. It will happen with ALL workshop stuff not just rF2.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

If you uninstall a game, why do you expect part of the game to not uninstall? Generally speaking uninstall means you want to remove a product, in its entirety.

I often uninstall games I own on Steam that I don't play often and I surely expect that the entire game gets deleted, not that bits and pieces are left taking space on my HDD.

To answer the question of OP, either remove mods or move the game to SSD is only way to speed up the synchronizing phase.

10. Filip

Filip Registered

There is also a possibility to backup .rfcmp files somewhere, unsubscribe from workshop, restart rf2 for it to pick up changes (items get deleted) and then manually install those .rfcmp files.
    They are not recognized as workshop items anymore so no more synchronizing.
    Of course this way you loose any future automatic updates of those tracks/cars.

11. svictor

svictor Registered

One reason is reinstalling game (pretty common thing happens all the time). Normally user would first uninstall a game then install it again, which in this case is absolutely a bad practice. There is of course the way of re-installing by removing everything in game folder then verify integrity with steam. However you wouldn't expect average user to do this kind stuff and many probably have never thought of this.

Edit: also I don't consider 3rd party mods & workshop content as part of the game/product. And there should at least be some kind warning/notice for user when they gets deleted, but that's the issue with steam I guess.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Since when is reinstalling the game common thing?

13. svictor

svictor Registered

Just by looking at this forum section there are a lot mention/suggestion about uninstalling/reinstalling when people encounter a game breaking issue they couldn't solve (just search keyword uninstall or reinstall).

14. zzigg

zzigg Registered

i had this problema too with 1tb hdd for Windows and steam games.
    now i have a ssd 970 evo 250mb for Windows and ssd 970 evo 1tb for steam games and it takes 9\10 seconds to sinchronizing with steam workshop for the first time and 4\5 seconds for the second time.

15. Filip

Filip Registered

Probably in most cases would be solved by simple restoring original configs or uninstalling plugins, checking integrity etc.

svictor likes this.
  16. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Delete .rcd (virtual drivers) file in your settings dir

Seems this solve the problem