rfactor 2 Still The King.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Mar 7, 2019.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I seen this video and I have to agree. But I had this feeling again with these new DLC's. Not a big fan of newer cars in general but they are just so good I really have a hard time driving anything else.
    I really hope they are making money for S-397? Is there more cars in the future?

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Nice video, seen before. He says "after all these years", and rF2 say:
    [​IMG]

True about something about rF2 being fresh all the time. But you don't need to stop using it for months to experience that. It could be days, or even switching different track, or different car, or different conditions... There is just whole lot of uniqueness in it, because it is good.

As for what was said about FFB, I think it shows how much people are misunderstanding whole concept of it. I don't think there is anything like force feedback engine, or if it is then it is something major though probably important too. As much as i understand the big thing about FFB is actually pure physics, which the signals of FFB are based on. Good physics is the main thing. So I suppose that great FFB engine is actually great physics engine. FFB is a bit over rated comparing to physics, and it is the case in whole simracing community.

Korva7 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  3. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

I stopped jumping around between sims awhile back.
    rFactor is the best, that's why it's the only racing sim installed on my PC.

ACC shows promise when optimized as I do love a good progressive licensing system, but it currently runs terrible on my 1050ti and hurts my eyes after 5 minutes.
    It seems blurry even with the sharpening tools provided.

Spitfire1, Leynad, bwana and 2 others like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Agree but physics and ffb alone doesnt sell sims.

Were getting there with content. May lbe not so much tracks .But polish and Consistency still lacks in rf2 ~ core ai issues and wet racing still has years old problems.

But yeah driving at its core rf2 is untouchable.

5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I guess my next question is, how is this old software holding up?

6. kimbo

kimbo Registered

RF2-AMS the best

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Same reason as Microsoft Windows :)

TOCA2FREAK and vegaguy5555 like this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I have only heard guys saying good things about AI.
    Wet racing is not a software problem but more of motion cockpit problem, which I am working on.

10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I have to ask, which one is the king?

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

theres issues with ai pitting and using wrong tyres etc. in the rain/./

the ai issues can be found among this forum. :)

Ai is falling behind the likes of RR and AMS (vo ams hasn't got the defend move ) :(

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  12. tpw

tpw Registered

To be honest I’m not buying into the “rF2 AI is falling behind” arguments. R3E and AMS AI are certainly much more racy and pushy, but both achieve the illusion of greater competence by being much more planted than the player and much less concerned with driving into them. If they decide that they want to be where you are, then they’ll shunt you and you are the only one who’ll pay the price from the collision. I regularly see AMS AI snap back onto the racing line in 0.2 sec after being completely sideways. Under the same circumstances RF2 AI will get into a tank slapper and lose it just like the player.

rF2 AI has issues, but their core racecraft and believability are not among them. When I’m beaten by rF2 AI it’s because they simply drove better than me, I never feel that they were unfairly advantaged.

OzzyNeil, Dookie, bwana and 4 others like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Wet physics aren't very strong in rF2. I think it could get better.

Looking forward to your motion system becoming reality, I myself have got one idea, but I don't think I could ever create even the crappiest prototype lol Ideas without actions really is nothing.

ECAR_Tracks and vegaguy5555 like this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Can you please elaborate on this? thanks

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

no need read the forums. Just do a ai race in the rain youll see. Thought you would know about this..

and yes most ai now in modern sims even AMS, can now overtake you in a draft .. not rf2.

Having said that just testing the new reiza dlc, and the cars have gone back to tapping brakes down the straight,. I asked Renato if he could tell S397 how to fix it!

felt like gone back in time there.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

There's a good example in the video of an ai getting pushed around.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok

LokiD likes this.
  18. Supa

Supa Registered

No its not. AMS is better all round and had proper gearbox mod

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  19. gluon

gluon Registered

This guy mentions something crucial, which is the way rF2 sends you cues about your grip, the over the edge feel. It's not only the FFB but also the actual tyre model and even visual/sound cues working great together to transmit to the driver what we cannot feel outside a real car, the G forces inducing yaw movement on the car.

This over the edge feel (when you're really pushing and close to spinning) is very gradual in rF2. First you notice there's slightly less grip, then you notice that if you keep your foot down you have even less grip, then the rear really gets loose and you feel the car starting to rotate but you still can do something about it if your reaction time is good enough. This gradient feels very nice and realistic, at least from what I see on real racing cars. On some other sims, there's much less gradient over the edge, instead you get a much more digital transition from 100% grip to 0% grip which feels unrealistic to me. You don't get enough cues to feel that there's less grip and you're either pointing forwards or the car spins abruptly without a real chance to catch the slide. It's like a hard line between grip and spin, instead of the nice gradient you get in rF2.

AlanK, jual, vegaguy5555 and 2 others like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It also depends how individual car physics are made. You can get super gradual grip drops, and you can achieve fast grip drop depending on the work that tire/car does. Is it grip loss due to slip angle, slip ratio, load sensitivity, camber sensitivity, temperature sensitivity, speed sensitivity..... car too stiff, car too soft, front vs rear grip.... and so on ? How much base friction ? How much kinetic sliding friction ?

Thats just my understanding. But I look at onboards, and external racing footage, I don't see them sliding around very hard in dry, majority usually have multiple smaller slips and slides and only sometimes big powerslides unless you are Chris Harris , that tells to me that those cars speak fast there, and doesn't have low grip early on, but continues with decent grip till it starts fading away and fading can happen in various speeds. I don't have any data numbers for tires or a lot of competence, but thats what I follow modeling my car now - gradual grip drop, but if you abuse it, or drive to greedy over the limit it it gets less gradual. Mainly at the rear because it is RWD. Also that gives more feel of leading at front end, You may loose all the grip in rear end, but still have enough front end grip to control the vehicle for split second if you are quick to act, that thing is exactly that gives gradual loss of control, in my mind. Thats especially amplified in the wet, I think, you loose all the grip at driven axle with a powerful car as you hammer it, but you still should have all the grip at the front for a moment.

There are many cars in rF2 that are absolutely not gradual at grip loss in the wet, and it is bad IMO. It makes sense to me if we talk about grip loss due to load sensitivity, but for slip ratios and angles grip loss should be same or even more gradual than in the dry IMO because car is moving at slower rates in the first place.

Here is good example of what I mean, you can see driver is able to deliberately slip the rear end and he does keep fine grip at the front.

ECAR_Tracks, vegaguy5555 and gluon like this.