Uploading to Steam Workshop?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by SL1DE, Feb 10, 2017.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Anyone know how it's done? I saw a tutorial on rFactor 2's Steam discussion page which said to use SteamCMD, I've had that uploading for about 3 and a half hours (my internet is slow), my mod is 990mb in size and I checked NetLimiter (which is a program which monitors internet activity) and it says I've uploaded 1.05GB through SteamCMD.exe and it still hasn't finished uploading.

So I don't know if I should close it or wait it out for a few more hours until I go to bed. It takes about 3 hours with my crappy internet.

I wish Steam had a more user friendly method, like a GUI or something, with percentage information on how much it has uploaded and how much is left. You'd think they would, with Steam Workshop being such a big part of it, and Valve/Steam being professional... But nope.

Maybe I'll stick with Mediafire lol.

Anyone know what's going on? Could my upload speed be so slow that it reset the upload or something, like some sort of upload time limit?

Edit: I ended up leaving it for an hour and it finished. Weird that it uploaded more than the actual size of the file, but anyway... It's done, /solved.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

probably because you lost some data packets going that slow and it needed to upload some packets again

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I completely agree that current uploading system is prehistoric considering steam is quite a modern platform.

I understand that modding is more difficult which implies anyone who can properly create content, is also able to use properly current system.

However, that shouldn't be an excuse. A better system would be welcome.

4. Rodrrico

Rodrrico Registered

I would love it if someone could make a video tutorial of how to upload to Rfactor Steam CMD. I have struggled to follow the guide on the Steam discussion page for RF2 and can't even login correctly.

I have a whole bunch of tracks that I made for Rfactor just waiting to be uploaded to Rfactor 2 on steam. Please help.

bravotangosix and Mauro like this.
  5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

I know you tracks on rf1 Rodrrico http://formularodrrico.blogspot.it

Are you working for release them on rf2?!?
    If yes it's a great news!
    I love Imola '60s, Reims, Nivelles, Brands hatch '50 and Donnington '37 :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Same here,i whant to upload some of my mods to Steam,no ideia how :(

bravotangosix likes this.
  7. @Rastas heres a file for you.
    https://simracing.club/files/steamupload.rar
    First off unpack all files to your desired directory

modname.bat > you will need to open this in notepad and change:
    1. Z:\SteamCMD\SteamCMD.exe <-- make sure this is the path to the SteamCMD application
    2. Change username and password to your Steam account´s credetials
    3. Also change the lines from Z:\MOD\dev\workshop\modname\metadata.vdf to lead to your own metadata.vdf

Now go to attached folders, more precisly, go to: MOD\dev\workshop
    1. Rename the directory to whatever track you want to upload, example SRCA in this case
    2. Change the preview.jpg
    3. Open metadata.vdf LEAVE: "appid" "365960" <- this shows it is rFactor 2
    4. Change the content folder dir (to lead to whatever you changed in the dir)
    5. Change the preview image path
    6. Change title, description and change note
    7. Put in the track rfcmp or car or whatever you are uploading into content folder

Finished? make sure you dont move around the files, once you are done go to the bat file you edited first and double click to run it.

Now do not edit this file again, if you are uploading another item, use the template files again, otherwise you might overwrite stuff.

8. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Thank you broski,i go see if i can do this ;)
    Sucess hehe,BMW 134 now in Steam too :D
    Thank you again broski :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. Rodrrico

Rodrrico Registered

Hi J
    Hi Jimmi, I managed to upload one of my tracks 'Alesia GP Course' but then when I tried to upload another track 'Bulgarian GP' it overwrote the Alesia track, even though I made a separate folder for bulgarian gp with a separate content and metadata file linking to the new folder.

Can you please help me further on this?

Cheers.

10. Rodrrico

Rodrrico Registered

Hi Mauro, that's the plan. To resurrect my old track to rf2. But I need to community's help!

Mauro likes this.
  11. Yes but as explained you need to make a new content folder, which means it can be a new workshop file. If you reuse it (after it talks with steam) and get an id for the mod it will overwrite.

Mauro likes this.
  12. Mauro

Mauro Registered

13. Mauro

Mauro Registered

14. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Without being ironic but the reason is probably that the only thing Valve/Steam is focussed on and conserned about is earning money on all the ads sprouting out of their platform.
    Thats also the reason its impossible to get rid of all their socalled "news"(ads) about new or older games that is "evented" in some way.:rolleyes:
    Have you ever wondered why its only a few game genres you can lock out of your "personal Steam" - and not all game news(ads):cool:

15. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Sorry to bring this up again,but i forgot what i should put in this part in the batch file (+workshop_build_item),i have lost the old batch file after a imagration to ssd,now i need to upload a new mod and i totaly forgot about this :)
    Thanks in advance :)

16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The location of what you're uploading, i.e. +workshop_build_item G:\MOD\dev\workshop\IowaSpeedway\metadata.vdf

Mauro likes this.
  17. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Solved broski,thank you :)

18. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Is it possible to upload a workshop as invisible/private but distibutable by link from steam? If i remember correct SRC does this. Maybe @Jimmi Allison could help?

19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

There are three visibility settings, 0, public, 1, friends only, and 2, hidden.