Released Released New Material Editor! (Car Paints)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I need to know how to turn off the wireframe on the Callaway_Corvette_GT3_car.
    I can see how to with the Aston, just uncheck the box, but there's no box to uncheck with the Callaway_Corvette_GT3_car

SS

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Your joking right???
    upload_2019-2-22_19-47-16.png

Personally I'll just use the old template, already set up, Don't need or want any off this Photoshop crap and the Regions is simple. Don't need any off that either.

All this shit is just confusing people and for no good reason.
    I'm having a really hard time understanding why well seasoned, experienced people, painters are having such a hard time with this stuff.
    It's as easy as!!!

I've updated 5 cars today alone with new Alpha and region maps on the old template.
    And by the way! ALPHA "needs" to be on the Region map DDS, meaning you save as DXT5. If you don't!! The Alpha region "dose not work!" Leaving you 4 "Not" 5 region options. Fine if you don't need 5 but just a heads up!

Ernie and Chris Lesperance like this.
  5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

That was my shower thought the other morning LOL! I know I missed that on one of the two Porsches I just released in the past few days. I have one of the _region as a DXT1

I agree! The actual set up isn't hard at all. I've had to change a couple ways on how I do my layers to make that part easier. My thing that I need to get my head around is to better utilize the system. What parts are "CARPAINT" vs "Shiny vinyl" etc. For example, a car like this I would believe is all shiny vinyl.

6. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Thanks D.Painter, I really didnt know it was that, I was looking for the "wireframe" not the UVW, whatever it is.

SS

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Just try to not over thing it. Use what looks best to you.

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The tutorial could have been worded better, but if you actually do it slowly step by step instead of reading it expecting to get it instantly then you’ll get results.

Ernie and alexSchmurtz like this.
  9. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Thought I would have a crack at a new skin for the Bentley, but it seems I've stumbled already.
    Why am I getting the Skin markings of the car I put the DDS file into showing through?
    Any guidance would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Two options;
    Ignore it for now.
    Make a base Region. A DDS map that should be in with your livery. This is automatically generated for you when you create a new Driver folder in the Player/settings

A region DDS is what this new system uses to set up paint variance. Paint, Car Paint, Matte Vinyl, and so on. A base region could just be a black DDS. Open the CarPaintEditor as described in the tutorial. Set the Black region only to Car Paint, Reload the car in the tuning.

Your folder should look similar to this,
    upload_2019-3-2_13-53-5.png
    This is a complete working livery so you'll see that the region DDS has been set up for the livery. A example off what you'll need to do eventually but for now just black it out to hide the region map from the other livery.

Hocician and BigDuke6 like this.
  11. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Thanks a lot Doug I will give it a go. :)

12. Hocician

Hocician Registered

yeah... these layer will disappear when you create a new driver/team and have your own regions.dds in the new generated folder... same for windscreen..

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Does this new painting system apply to all cars or just the new GT3s

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I think right now, it's the GT3 pack and Endurance pack only. All new cars will have it, and maybe some older cars will be updated for it.

juanchioooo likes this.
  15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

copying the folder region of the template I could use it in the toyota celica gto

16. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

whenever I try to Change something in the webclient, I get the following s. Attach
    The dds are saved as dxt5
    Any idea what could be the error? If I Exit rf2 and go back the Change seems to be applied

Attached Files:

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

And there is an obvious bug in the webclient, if you switch from paint to car paint, the current Colour in the webclient is NOT updated (actualized) to that of the new category. You can go now in Colour menu and hit apply without changing slider, still a Colour is applied that does not match that visible in the webclient field (but that of the json file for the new selected mat Group probably). Only if you move at least one slider to a different value in the Colour Group the Settings are synced correctly (by apply)..

18. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

One more Question (Maybe answered allready but so many Postings): In case no Region file and json is provided, does everything work as before?

19. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Registered

Hi everyone,

Not sure what next to try on this one as I'm a bit stuck.

I've done the a previous design to use the new shaders.

Created the region information as in the various guides, saved as a separate file. Saved all files as DXT5.

Went into the hanger showroom, applied the various settings, all looked ok.

[​IMG]

Go to Sebring and the main paintwork is chrome, go back to the showroom, reload the livery and it's gone back to chrome again.

Tried refreshing the variables window whilst making changes, no luck.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, it all looks ok.

Two things that are worth mentioning. I used the original template and copied over the region layers from the new template. I also copied over the newer alpha layer as I see that's more white now.

Maybe I should try the other way and copy the deign layers over to the newer PSD template file. However I thought the region layers and the alpha channel layer were the only real changes.

It's late now and I've got a headache so I'm off to sleep for the night! lol. But if anyone has any tips, please share.

I'm usually good at sorting this sort of thing but this one has me stumped, almost like it's not saving the shader data.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  20. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

@Andrew Harper Yes, once you're done editing, you need to hit 'Reload' in the showroom, or it doesn't save the materials...:confused:

As for the template, you also don't need any shading now.

Andrew Harper likes this.