is there a live weather plugin which i could use for offline racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by back86, Feb 26, 2019.

1. back86

back86 Registered

I was just wondering if there was such thing as a live weather plugin for offline racing like there is there for Online racing

2. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Alex72 and gRaider like this.
  3. gRaider

gRaider Registered

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Somebody explain to me how real time weather, and I've asked this before and it was answered, (clearly I can't remember the result) but...
    I'm in the Pacific NW. It's after 7pm or so here. I want real time weather for Bathurst, so it's probably after midnight there. How can weather, specifically temperatures, at midnight make my racing at 7pm more realistic?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie it's a live weather plugin. You'd be racing with the real live weather. It doesn't do historical. Others have previously, but for various technical reasons aren't working anymore. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yes, but live for me could be middle of the afternoon where-as the track may be far far to the east. Most F1 races start around 5am out west, so the live weather is gonna be 8 to 12 hours out of phase. You might be wanting to simulate Sebring's day into night. But a European or Asian racer would see temps plunge during the day and then rise as the sun sets... see my confusion? Actual live weather only seems to be appropriate when the track is within a couple of timezones to the racers. And as we know, rF2 drivers are scattered all over just about every continent.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

But wont it set time of day as well?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

that I dont know.

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

No, it can not set time because plugin interface does not offer to set time
    You also run live ambient temperatures, which means if you set 12pm as Session start time, you drive at daylight but you get local temps which are currently grabbed at night if your Location is +- 8 or more hours utc.
    One could take temps of the past or temps of future prediction to match session time, but nothing is live and may differ to live weather, e.g. if there was or there will happen a temperature drop due to serious weather change

Alex72 likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As I said, it only does live weather. So no, it's no good for different time zones, unless you're playing at night and where you're playing is day time. Though of course you can also choose to use weather from closer to you, so you're racing with real weather suited to your timezone albeit not from the actual location. But that's what the plugin does, so that's it. Your confusion is warranted, but there's no answer.

Speaking of confusion, if it's 7pm where you are it's not (just) after midnight in Bathurst. Somewhere around noon in fact. You're rotating the earth the wrong way in your head.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Lol! wouldn't be the first time I spun the world wrong!

12. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I wrote a simple historical weather plugin in Python several years ago. It used weatherunderground. I haven't run it in some time, and when I tried to do that tonight, it didn't work. Apparently, WU doesn't hand out free API keys any more and they don't honor ones they gave out years ago. I don't know that I have the energy any more to rebuild it, but if anyone wants the code, I'd be glad to supply it to them as long as it didn't get used in a commercial product.

F1Aussie likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ah gotcha. Thought it took both data, weather and time of day.

14. Matthias

Matthias Registered

WU does not work anymore.
    Darksky is closed for new signups.

Anybody know a weather side with API where i can get live weather data?

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Matthias likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Registered

Thanks for the qucik reply, will test it.