Released Released New Material Editor! (Car Paints)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

EXACTLY!!! I did. For good reason.
    Aren't people confused enough for you already? Why make it worse?

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

But what if someone wants a metallic trim and a simple black, white, blue etc base? Just becuase the way someone else does it is different to they way you do it doesn't mean they're wrong.

On the Umbrella car in my tutorial I made the red metallic becuase that looked better to me. On the McLaren I did I made the teal metallic because that looked better to me.

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So REFMAP0 wasn't his problem then?

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Official documentation says region dds should be dtx1 no alpha..is this incorrect?

5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

You can make them in DXT1 if you don't use the alpha material layer (R G B Black White "alpha") but use DXT5 if you use the alpha layer.
    I use DXT5 for all mine and they seem to work. (I think the file is bigger so uses more resource? not sure)

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I used it and it worked at NOLA and Bathurst.

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Again for the last time.
    If you use BLACK region for CHROME, You can't have METALLIC FLECK BECAUSE!!! BLACK region is the "only" region that uses the FLECK feature! You where the one who pointed that out, Why is it so bloody hard for you to get it??

If you still don't get it then Don't make any tutorials, Your leading people wrong!
    I don't care what that official tutorial said. That's 90% used toilet paper that just want flush!!

8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

No, It appears not. More that the region isn't staying as set. I can't reproduce it here so I can find a reason for the trouble he's having.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Agree.
    I've found that if you don't use Alpha DXT5 on both Skin and Region the Alpha doesn't do what you want it to. (Not work)

10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Since S397 have shared and acknowledged it, it’s not exactly wrong...

Or why not do one yourself then? Since you’re the guru and the way you do it is so right.

I also never said black is for base. I said black is only used for metallic and I chose in the two instances I used to use white for the base because I wanted to use metallic on the red bits, which I also pointed out is the only part to use metallic. I then used blue for chrome. People were warned. You're implying that ONLY the base layer is allowed to be metallic, the black paint on the Umbrella car in the tutorial for instance and making anything else metallic (the teal on my McLaren or the red on the Umbrella car) is wrong.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

there are people who think they are the best, they are ridiculous and egocentric

Leonardo Nogueira likes this.
  12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Crikey - can we calm the jets a bit and try and work this through.

For starters, what I have have tried to in my (as yet private) guide/whatever is to find a path through the maze that works for GIMP and works for people who probably won’t be regular car painters. Personally, I just like to create a personalised skin for each vehicle we race in our leagues (rather than replicate an entire field) and so only paint a handful of vehicles through the year.

For me (with basic but workable experience of the older methods), the S397 guide hasn’t hit the spot yet - partly because it concentrates on PS (which few occasional painters will justify) and partly because it does assume a certain level of knowledge and so makes a few leaps here and there that could be better explained.

Anyway - I have used the same regions and basic workflow as the S397 guide - and that seems a sensible approach to get started. The arguments about Black vs non-Black regions are a sideline to working out the non-persistent nature of my Chrome sections (I don’t really care about metal flake at this point unless the default flake/lacquer settings are causing my issues - which I doubt).

I’ll give the DXT5 (with alpha) a go - and if that doesn’t work, I will send my skins to a friend to check on their machines.

@AMillward - thanks for the info. on NOLA etc. I’ll try there but I don’t hold out much hope that it’ll be the breakthrough.

Seven Nation Army likes this.
  13. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Is it required to make your skin as a virtual ride to use the new PBR shaders?
    I vaguely remember, there were some livery problems in multiplayer when leaguemates are using the same car as copy for their virtual ride. But i haven't tested this the last months. Maybe the problem doesn't exist anymore.

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ernie - I don't think so - but only on the basis that you can Create Dir in any of the standard liveries and just drop your car in to the folder that is created.

...but then I can still (even after double-checking @AMillward's video - noting that he exported the main skin as DXT1 instead of 5...) not manage to get the shaders to work outside of the showroom (and then only on first load....)

ps - using NOLA did not help. I've also unsubscribed and resubscribed to the 720s just in case that's a factor. I *do* have v1.26 and v1.27 showing in the Content launcher though - both show as Workshop Items and neither as being tied into any mods....

15. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

*SOLVED*
    Oh how I laughed.

Nothing wrong with my skin. Or region file.

Environmental Reflection was turned off in global Options. It needs to be at least Low to work...:mad:

Chrome *will* work in (some) third party tracks etc. - I tried it at VLM Sebring (which presumably doesn't have the REFMAP0) and it was fine...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Chris Lesperance and AMillward like this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

lighter silver out of tune

GRAB_170.JPG GRAB_169.JPG GRAB_168.JPG

Emery, Nimugp, Nitrometh and 3 others like this.
  17. Seven Nation Army

Seven Nation Army Registered

Well, we have a patch out today so I hope that fixes things. :)
    I would love to get into this but at this point lack the patience to spend hours trying to figure out what to do, I'd rather watch the night part of the 24 hours of Le Mans straight through.
    So - hopefully someone can distill this process in a way I can follow and I can contribute. Looking forward to it but kind of given up at the moment. Too much of a mess. :(

18. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I think we’re getting close, @Seven Nation Army - but I admit that once I found my fix/workaround for the disappearing-Chrome issue last night, I stared at the blank canvass of a new skin for a while but realised I’d lost the will for the day.

The good news is that, bugs aside, I think we’ve got the basics nailed now and between the likes of @AMillward’s video and what I, for instance, have written up, the GIMP side of things should be accessible.

Seven Nation Army and bears like this.
  19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Do you take your own shots of the night sky for your skins? Looks pretty good.

juanchioooo likes this.
  20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Emery and MarcG like this.