Long-standing, developer-ignored problems LIST

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UsedMomo, Feb 15, 2019.

1. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

List updated in first post.

I forgot about both of those things, thanks. Although Mazeo's suggestion should fix the frequency of FCYs, the AI doesn't bunch back up correctly. This makes the FCY last too long.

Another problem with the damage is cars are often knocked way out of alignment from very minor hits. So there's work to be done at either end of the spectrum.

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@davehenrie sure offline development and more physics features are desired from all racers
    just the fact that we all like to race onnline against eachother and online racing is very popular in general makes things like rain AI
    stay at the back and watching

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Once you race online you can never go back. ;)

Alex72, patchedupdemon and Rui Santos like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

guys who can't find a group that match their pace will probably stay offline. It's great fun to watch everyone sail off into the distance. I used to race exclusively in an online league, but when that folded, I found myself going online less and less. I am extremely intrigued by driver swapping team races, but finding a group where I don't end up causing havoc is not the easiest thing in the world.
    I KNOW online will be the focus of rF2, I applaud that, but don't ignore/forget/disregard the concerns that offline racers have.

5. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Australians race when I’m getting my kids ready for bed.
    Europeans race when I’m asleep.
    Americans race when I’m at work.

Some of us need AI.

Dookie, bhendrik, bears and 3 others like this.
  6. Karei

Karei Registered

The most important feature missing in rF2 is dynamic track temperature. Some say it affects the issue of lowest tyre pressure giving faster lap times no matter what. I hope it's just that.
    It still isn't clear if/which tyre model has graining and blistering.

7. TJones

TJones Registered

Dynamic track temp would also on top of my list. It should be pretty easy to implement, and effects all cars. I also heard, that internal test team already run some tests over a year ago. Biggest problem, and that's what also Marcel said, is to test existing content with all available tyre sets, eventually udate tyres. This process may take a while. IMO actually we're wery much on the save side with compounds, which means i'm able to use very low pressure and softest compound on most tracks without getting overheating issues. Track surface temp in the sim is static at about 30°C ATM. So i hope there shouldn't be to much changes necessary. It should be also clear, that for tracks like Suzuka or Silverstone a soft compound should overheat quickly.

I dont think graining/blistering is possible with existing tyremodel.

SRGP likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Are these things about static track temps and lowest tire pressures always being fastest true ? Or are they myths ?

I remember trying higher temps at Monaco, and doing faster laptimes than with low pressures.

Also As I look at the track temperatures in [standings] window, in the cards temps indeed appears static, but under it is written that temps change, both track temps and ambient, just as I set in the session settings.

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

You can if you live in a timezone E that makes it difficult to hook up with others, and have minimal time when you can play.

bhendrik and bears like this.
  10. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Btw are they working on lighting model still? So called rear lights without rays and reflections/ pure white dots instead of headlights and so on is bothers me.

11. TJones

TJones Registered

For me in most cases, lowest pressure is the way to go. Usually, i have the most grip, because of the large contact patch, and (bit surprising) at least wear because i dont skid that much. Now with low pressure, i get higher carcass temperature (in reality and rF2), But in rF2 there isn't that much influence on tyre surface temp. Surface temp is mainly affected by friction and moving air. Inner or carcass temp are usually higher and a lot more stable. There doesn't seems to be much temp conduction from carcass to surface, but I wouldn't get so far and say it's definately to less.
    Only downside with low pressure is bit more unprecise or sometimes sluggish behaviour, especially in the first few laps. This is very well done at rF2, i like to add.
    In reality with very low pressure, i may risc fatal tyre damage, blistering (example: Kimi at Monza) or together with high camber, i may rip inner sidwall driving to wide over some rough curbs at the apex.
    But rF2 doesn't have tyre damage.

Sorry for OT.

Karei likes this.
  12. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Are you sure this is not related to the In game Online Bandwidth Settings?
    If you (or for streaming the stream computer) only have set it to lower values (like 256kbps) you will not get all cars transmitted from the server, only the cars directly around you - so it's fine for racing, but cars disappear in replays. The higher the value, the more cars you'll see and the smoother the movement of the other cars will be.

13. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

The last time I saw lots of ghost cars happened when I set up a local Server with 40 AI and raced on it also by rf2 Player app (LAN connected). Obviously the load for the Server was too high. The AI Driver Symbols in the track bar jumped around like crazy.
    I only hope for true online gaming, with low net Settings (and many use 256k actually, with ADSL you quite often have a say 6000bit download but only 500k upload, so 256k makes perfectly sense as assymetric Settings lead to Micro warps and stutterings) that you do not get temporarilly cars in front of you which result in very short periods of reduced downforce (dirty air), Maybe so short you do not even notice them but enough to get the tire into a drift

14. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

List updated in first post. I added the problem with incorrect aid settings, as I've encountered the same thing. I encourage others to see if they can confirm the other things you mentioned.

15. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

You can also change the length of the FCY in the .rfm I have it set for my road races so the safety car only does one lap unless there is still a car jammed in the fence or something similar. My biggest beef with FCY is the AI drive erratically.

16. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@Daniel Surace
    "8. Simplistic gearbox/drivetrain.
    never on the road map to fix, although works in most cases bar history use. but agree."

I own Corvette 69 427 CUI historic GT car with manuel gearbox. If my vette had in real life clutch/drivetrain model like rF2 I had broke loads of gearboxes and most likely I would bee dead many years ago. :(

TJones likes this.
  18. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hahaha, thankfully kids these days don't jump from SIM racing into such classic cars that that would shift in the manner they learned in RF1 and 2.

Ari Antero likes this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats awesome ! Do you take it to the limits on the track ?

And why do you have more troubles with gearbox than you would in real life (considering we don't have that car, but we have cobra and some mores 60s cars), does your car require slower shift, better revolutions matching, or what ?

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

My car is tuned to racing , yes I take it to the limits on the track.
    Corvette 69 427 has original 560 hp and compression ratio 10.25:1 my car has 12.7:1 and of course bigblock engine require slower shift and good rev match. If rF2 had Corvette 69 427 I can not imagine that it is possible to simulate this car like rF2 clutch/drivetrain model is today, not even close.
    I bet Cobra is the same but I don`t have any experience with it in real life. However we must remember that there are many types of old (60`s >) gearboxes and some of them don`t require use of clutch when up-or downshifting, only at start and when you are shifting to lower gears like 1 or 2 etc.

mantasisg likes this.