Problem in VR with pimax 5k

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mario Moretti, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

Hi guys,
    I Just received my pimax 5k , tried It with AC and other games and All works well
    With rf2 i dont have a stereo Image but one Image for each eyes. I use pitool version .95. i have tried to unchek reprojecton compatibility in pitool with no result. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

you may be the first to use the Pimax. Folks here may be asking YOU for tips :)

3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Just hold on a minute..... you have the 5K?? Do you have a thread somewhere?

4. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

Yes, l have got It 5 days ago.

5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Don't hold out on us. How is it? Did you have anything before and how does it compare?

Alex72 likes this.
  6. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

I own all the HMDs that are there (I'm a fan of VR) samsung odyssey plus, rift cv1, Vive pro, and Pimax 5k. i use them only for driving simulations (Ac, Rfactor2, Rrre, Iracing).
    Summarize my impressions:
    samsung Odyssey + Excell in quality price ratio, little sde but very blurred image in the distance, good color and brightness. VivePro sde little visible but present, clarity of Image excellent in the distance, very high price but the comfort and build quality are really good. Pimax sde little visible but present but less than the pro, image quality slightly better than the pro , but color rendering, brightness and contrast slightly lower, FOV very good already set to normal (I think it's about 160 degrees) ; setting it on small , about 140 degrees , is still a step ahead of all other HMDs, it is very important for immersion in the virtual world, the binocular effect is over. The constructive quality of Pimax is certainly less than the Pro but acceptable.
    The comfort requires to change the original system with the deluxe head strap of the Vive, which I did. Ultimately, the ideal HMD would be fov and sharpness of the Pimax, sde of the samsung, colors, contrast and brightness of the Vive pro. however, the visual quality is very dependent on the Sim used: Ac, which has a very light graphics engine allows you settings of SS and graphics in game very high (Pitool 1,75, SteamVr 150%, all in max in the game, except no PP and reflections on static) is a show with Pimax, clear and fluid like oil, at monitor level , stable 90 FPS without the slightest uncertainty. FANTASTIC, this is the new generation that we are waiting for so much. With Rfactor instead, the heaviest graphics engine does not allow the use of high SS to have 90 FPS stable, so the image quality is at vive prol evel but obviously with a much larger FOV.
    Last consideration: using the large FOV (200 degrees) slightly worsens the quality of the image. ultimately 5k is a decisive leap forward compared to rift, samsung and original Vive, a good improvement over the pro especially for the FOV and the minor sde.
    Translating impressions into Number and condidering Rift Cv1 or original Vive sufficincy ( 6 on a scale from 1 to 10):
    pimax 9,5
    vive Pro 8

sorry for my bad english

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Always wondered how the 200FOV would feel. I also Always wondered if there is any black when looking around with 200FOV Pimax? With 110FOV VR if you look with your Eyes far left/right/up/down you can see black right? But with 200FOV there is image all around? Like the whole image your eyes can see when looking around is covered by 200FOV Pimax? A bit sad that the quality goes down with 200FOV though. But hey, the technology is pushing forward. :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

No black in 200 FOV e very small black in Normal Fov (160°). In my opinion normal Fov is Ok.

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Does the Pimax 5k have problems with the software, each time entering or leaving the game? Do you have good pimax support? Thanks

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Thank you for sharing your findings. It is valuable to us because it is exactly the type of comparison that we sim-racer's can use to plan our future upgrades for VR and, the HMD's are being used in the titles and ways that we tend to play. :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

In Europe, where did you buy them? Price for Europe? OK thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Mario, thanks for sharing your observations. I've two questions:

* do you use vive bases, if so, how many and in which mode?
    * is there any kind of ASW/reprojection/smoothing with Pimax so that half framerate (45FPS) play is comfortable? If so, have you tried it in rF2? I am quite happy with smoothness of CV1 at 45FPS + ASW, and I wonder if there's something similar with Pimax, as 90FPS won't be possible with rF2 at good settings.

PS: did you have any tracking issues with rF2?

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

The 5k plus by Pimax workshop, Samsung odyssey+ imported from USA

juanchioooo likes this.
  15. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

Hi i have two vive basis and use them in the same manner than with vive pro, but for driving simulation only one basis is sufficient.

In the latest beta version of Pimax software (Pitool) motion smoothing has been implemented, but i dont have this version installed.
    In my opinion the only smoothing that work very well is ASW from Oculus. When i used my "old" Rift CV1 i cant tell difference from 90 to 45 Fps with ASW activated. Steam smoothing dont work as well as ASW , then , after got the vive pro i built a PC that let me got 90 Fps without any smoothing active (i7 8700 5 ghz, 32 gb ram ddr4 3 ghz, Rtx 2080 ti). With my system 90 Fps are possible in Rf2 with Pimax and with Vive pro, with good graphics. From comment read in Pimax forum their implementation of motion smoothing is similar to Steam Vr.

PS: if anyone is interested i will sell my used : Rift Cv1, Samsung Odyssey plus, Vive Pro.

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

A very good post thanks

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thank you. How would you compare fit/comfort of Pimax vs CV1? Can you adjust Pimax to sit really tight on your face? Also, any tracking issues?

Do you use bases in A+B mode?

I agree with you on ASW being good and 45FPS being enough. However, I have identical system to yours and with large grids at settings I like FPS drops to 45FPS+ASW a lot in rF2, so I really hope some smoothing/reprojection/whatever_it_is_to_allow_run_at_half_fps is coming to Pimax (I am on the pre order). I also had Odyssey for 2 weeks and their "motion reprojection" was no worse than ASW in rF2/R3E.

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Registered

Yes i use them in A+B mode.
    With my system in Rf2 90 FPS are with 12 AI not more.. and AA set to 5 .
    Confort in Cv1 is better , but with Pimax you dont need to sit it really thight to your face, the FOV is enough ...

juanchioooo and The Iron Wolf like this.