Slow, heavy car with poor online times

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Harri Mac, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Harri Mac

Harri Mac Registered

This isn't just effecting me, it's happening to quite a few players in our league. When playing online, any car, any track, the lap times achieved are very variable. This seems to be dependant on other players in the server, I don't think it's just down to ping but have no idea what's causing it other than possible packet loss. I've pressed CTRL C, the purple bar is not maxed out, my CPU still has some way to go before that. My internet connection is good, I've tested it for speed and packet loss. I've checked for FFB clipping, not there.

The effect I and others experience is a heavy car (slow to move, hard to steer, hard on the hands and arms) that goes slower (around a second a lap slower than single player, has been as bad as 3 seconds). It tends to result in over driving to compensate for time lost, shredding up tyres very quickly but still results in no better time (progressively slower), it just gets worse and the cars handling (already poor) deteriorates quickly. It's quite exhausting and very annoying. It seems to be caused by various players (sometimes more than one at a time), through no fault of their own and the issue is only resolved when they leave the server. The difference in the performance of the car is instant, like a switch being turned off or on. For me it usually results in immediately crashing the car as it is suddenly, light, responsive and the throttle works! The exact opposite of before.

The players who have this sort of "lag bubble" seem to be rubberbanding/warping a lot, they have the same slow, heavy car problem and see also those experiencing the heavy car issue rubberbanding/warping.

I've tried turning down the graphics settings, slight improvement, fiddled with the multiplayer.JSON and the specific controller device JSON. The issue is still there.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Trying to drive like this for an hour at a time is not fun.

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

So what you are saying is - same car, same setup loaded, but it drives differently in multiplayer opposed to singleplayer?

Are the server settings good? Not forcing some default setup or custom setup or something like that? Forcing differen tyre wear settings or fuel settings? What about RealRoad settings?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

This is usually a telltale sign that your CPU is running out of realtime. Typically it happens either because a) CPU is too old or b) poorly optimized modded track/car with lots of opponents. The CPU purple bar should normally never go much above 50%, if it goes even close to 100% you risk getting buggy physics.

4. Harri Mac

Harri Mac Registered

Same car, same track, even same rubber from server. CPU is not maxed out, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz cpu and 16GB RAM, GTX 660 graphics. G27 wheel.

I forgot, if a high ping player enters the server, my ping quadruples. This I don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

Gtx 660.. Old school..

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ctrl-C purple bar doesn't need to reach the right edge to be an issue, if you have more than one thin vertical line below it (on the very left) you have CPU issues (ignore CPU use reported by other tools).

Otherwise suspect the server, assuming you get this also with various ISI content. Is it a dedicated machine? How's it performing? How much bandwidth does it have and what is it configured to? Try disabling skin transfers as well.

7. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Ctrl+f X 3 for fps. If you run "any" programs after rfactor has been started they can cause a large frame rate loss, which gives some symptoms you describe.

I run an R9 390x and can be reduced to less than 20fps by inadvertantly running a hot keyed fan controller "after" starting rfactor. Everything in rfactor,menus, etc slows down. Perfectly fine if started before. Just a thought.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yesterday I had first online experience in rF2.

At first I participated in practice session of GT3 cars at bathurst in server that had ~15players. I picked up BMW GT3, and I discovered that I have more troubles handling the car than I usually do in multiplayer, I felt significantly less confident, did unusually many and big mistakes. In general car felt more twitchy, like if FFB would have had significantly reduced refresh rate or something like that. Originally I thought that it was messed up setup, but setup tweaking hardly changed the thing, couldn't test more because they switched off server.

Then had a practice and a race with group C mod in Matsusaka with 7 players. I disliked steering feel very much, cars wasn't much harder to drive though because I suppose of more forgiving physics. I expressed my dislike in the mod forum thread, and only after that it topped to me to try if in single player it would be any different. And it felt significantly better in singleplayer, steering felt more detailed, and more believable, I had more confidence controlling the car.

Later joined Aussie Legends server in Bridgehampton with four players. I have driven the Holden quite a lot in singleplayer, and I recognized that online it felt a bit different, felt like got a bit less information from forcefeedback. It wasn't very bad with this car as it is slower and like more slip angles, but felt like I had to put a bit more effort to drive it.

It would make sense to me that I experienced some issue with refresh rates.

Looking forward for more online racing, and more insight. Also gonna try the ctrl+c thing.

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

"Online first time".

Online nerves is a scientific thing. :D Ok im joking a Little bit even though i also get more nervy online. Especially if its serious people doing serious racing. Not being relaxed leads to dumb mistakes. Personally i havent noticed any difference, but i have also not been online a lot in rF2 yet so my opinion isnt Worth much.

10. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Check if steering help is turned on offline, or any other assists you may have enabled by accident that are disabled on the server.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I looked at that in the first place, stuff was off. I wonder if higher ping could have possibly make an effect on physics in rF2 online, I don't know what my ping was.

@Alex72 I am rather chill online, and I do relatively little mistakes and can handle close fights without causing any scratches (well rarely little bumps, only few occasions when I caused bigger crashes by braking too late while overtaking through the inside) and I use not so big single screen, never used helicorsa in AC :D, probably had at least half of a thousand online races, I am also more motivated when online, which means I do actually perform better, as motivation has an effect on concentration. Not an alien though :D