Lighting and cockpit displays bug with 8x Anisotropic filtering

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Davy Jones, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Was messing around with the settings to improve the shadow effects e.g. on cockpit dash without sacrificing performance and when setting Texture Filtering to 8x Anisotropic I get a lighting bug, see screenshots below showing the settings on and off

ON
    [​IMG]
    OFF
    [​IMG]
    SETTINGS
    [​IMG]

2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Any difference with fullscreen instead of borderless? Just in case.

3. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

I was able to reproduce it by switching from x4 to x8 Anistropic and back again and now when I went to see if switching to fullscreen would help the bug was gone it seems...

Unrelated, when first loading into a session what looks like a 2-pin AC adapter icon appears and disappears, never seen it before and don't now if it's something from rF2, odd...

[​IMG]

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The icon just means loading plug-ins.

5. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ah ok thanks, odd never noticed it before. Is there an FFB meter plugin available for the DX11 build yet?

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can you send me your Player.JSON and Config_DX11.ini when it happens.

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

SimHub has FFB meter.

8. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Sure can do :)

9. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Was changing settings again to try and improve anti-aliasing on the AI cars and had placed texture filtering at 8x anisotropic once more and the lighting error occurred. Screen and files zipped below

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Chris for what it's worth some example settings below that appear to work well for a GTX 970 / Core i5 / 8GB @ 1080/60. These took me a LONG time to figure out, well you know what the rF2 loading screens are like ;)

The two images above it are the buggy ones with >= 8X anisotropic, trilinear or bilinear texture filtering. Am still testing on an ongoing basis but for a race against 15-20 AI at Sebring it doesn't look so bad...

[​IMG]

11. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

Something like this happened to me, too, after I changed some other display settings. I thought it was because I alt-tabbed during loading and started doing something else (lurking the web, watching videos...), because I had no problem if I didn't do anything and just waited looking at the loading screen.
    [8GB RAM, 980 Ti]

12. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Yes good point and indeed somebody had asked above if the same occurs when in fullscreen rather than borderless. I've been using borderless mode and when I first noticed the issues I wasn't alt-tabbing away from the load screen. I was later while testing to try and improve things but definitely not when it first occurred.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I have seen this bug happening when a setting is changed or when I switched to another resolution. I think it's not aniso as such that is the problem, but rather that something in the shaders break when a setting is changed. One way to solve this is to always empty the shaders and cbash folders in userdata/log folder. This has solved the problem for me 100% of the time, though it's more like a workaround.