Released Released New Material Editor! (Car Paints)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

2. Carr

Carr Registered

Your right, I completely overlooked that page missing, MAYBE they will replace it with an updated one, not likely, but maybe.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They said a few times they are working on documentation for the new materials and pbr for mods. So why the "maybe"?

4. Carr

Carr Registered

They have been "working" on documentation and information updates for years, yes there were a couple of physics blogs that didn't cover a lot of stuff and some painting tutorials, but that is it. There are lines in the physics and tyre files that aren't even mentioned in documentation anywhere, and no specific details about what changes in the updates do or sometimes even what they changed. The spreadsheet is all well and good, if you can understand it, but fails to provide information about what stuff is or what data range is appropriate. You have to work it out yourself.

Making content for rF2 is the hardest game to do, it has the most complex physics, most restrictions on how the shaders interact with the model objects (like no damage on debris objects), tyres that even engineers have trouble understanding and yet there is a lot of documentation that is either redundant or missing. Further making things difficult, they don't support troubleshooting for 3rd party content, meaning we have to work it out through trial and error. The forum here can be useful, but only by other members, and discord is almost as bad if not worse. There is also a distinct lack of example files which can make things a lot easier to understand, even their own content doesn't follow the current dev guide in many circumstances unless it is paid content.

I have put in well over 3,000 hours in creating a mod and love the game, it has just been a lot harder than it needed to be. Having to rebuild stuff and spend many hours troubleshooting things that could have been avoided by having decent documentation or having a question answered on here.

Here is a simple question. Why have features in a game if people aren't able to make content that fully make use of those features?

Juergen-BY, TheGame316 and Ari Antero like this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They've updated the documentation with some of the new stuff like rain update. The PBR part has just been released. Give it time... not even Reiza which will sell licensed content has finished that yet.

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You can't expect people to learn it all instantly. I've been skinning in Flight Simulator, the Geoff Crammond Grand Prix Games, GTA and such for years and it took me a good couple of hours to even grasp the basics of this new shader business.

DustySticks likes this.
  7. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

i can't edit the text on the banner of the Audi windshield. i would change the banner from red to black and add Audi Sport text, but don't know on which level do it. i tried but i see still the original text...

8. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

And if Reiza(which was announced for release over a month ago) cannot have this new info for paid content, how long will the free modders have to wait. All it would take is for one of the free content vehicles to be updated and provided as dev files, so the modders can at least start to work out the system(like they always have had to do).

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Not even the rest of paid DLC cars have this yet (they all should be updated already imo).... give it time

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Duvel likes this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

One thing that would be good for newbie painters is a resource pack of shapes that can easily be changed in terms of colour so they can get started and make something that isn't 'bland'

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Is there a bug with ehe McLaren template? The original design is still there.

GRAB_290.JPG

EDIT: Never mind, needed to create a region for it

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

No it's loading the original region.dds, you have to go to the next step of the procedure, whether you have or not your custom region.dds you have to create a virtual ride, click on "create" and fill in the forms with driver name, team, description etc.

13. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

is there a way to make the grey of the body as the original? Chrome is too much shiny and Car paint too little :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

That WAS on a Virtual Ride.

15. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

One Word: RELOAD your skin!

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

bent.jpg
    That 540 porsche doesn't look so good now. This shot was taken by me at the Bathurst 12hour. Thanks to a local Hero, Pappas survived the fire. At this point he was still unconscious in the car.

17. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I heard about it in the German news.

18. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

He was going very fast when he backed it into the wall. This is at the chase and is right after the fastest part of the track. I don't think he slowed much at all.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I heard about this. I didn’t know what to believe when I heard a member of the crowd in flip flops had grabbed the extinguisher and put the fire out.

20. Comante

Comante Registered

... a fire extinguisher with a broken hose, look at the pic: the foam pour from the dangling hose and from the valve. Look like 50 years of motorsport didn't teach the lesson....