Released Released New Material Editor! (Car Paints)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok sorry

FuNK! likes this.
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

In that case yes, if a folder already exists and you press reload, it will generate a mas file. That is the intended behavior.

3. Jimmy

Jimmy Registered

4. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

5. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

@Christopher Elliott: is there a way to know the correspondence between part of the body in the template and in the car? i can not understand how to make sure that the red strip also touches the areas i indicated in the image

[​IMG]

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Struggling with this in gimp, since there's no ctrl+click option to select multiple layers.

7. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

You're right for now. But if they let you make your own grass, and let you choose it in the editor, or even let you share your grass (grass1, grass2...) with other modders, that would be even better :)

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You have think different with GIMP. To solve such problems move your desired layers into one group. Now selecting the group will will select all layers in that group. Also you can rightclick on the layer group and make alpha to selection. Very useful for the region stuff.

@all Please don't give up too quick when using GIMP. There is nothing PS can do but GIMP not. Most of the time it's only a different way of doing things. Feel free to ask!

EDIT: I've not played through the workflow with a sample skin yet. But I read the whole instruction and there is NOTHING that you cannot do with GIMP! I'll gladly help and answer any question if you ask!

Alex72 likes this.
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

So I need to move the bits I want metallic to the bit with the RGB Black White bit?

10. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

I didn't see it posted (maybe I overlooked) but does this work in Dev mode as well? Also, I saw someone say it works with newer vehicles only, is this due to a newer shader than the paint+damage+rain shader or that the other vehicles are not using that shader?

One more question probably not related to this post but is the car shader page of the modding documentation on s397 no longer up? Has anyone else noticed this and is this due to the paint+damage+shader no longer the shader being used?

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Guess you mean how you can change the region maps to suit your design, right? But let me know which step exactly if I'm wrong with my guess. Let's assume you start with black layer like in the official docs, so I can use the same colors/names.
    • You start with selecting the region 1 layer, then rightclick on it and click on "Add Layer Mask", then click on "Black" and confirm.
    • Now scroll to the layer with the grey design parts of your skin, do a rightclick on it and click on "Alpha to Selection". Now you should see a mask around your design.
    • Go back to the region 1 layer, click on the black layer mask. Make sure the layer mask is selected (white frame around that mask shows it's the current active editing layer).
    • Select the "Bucket Fill" tool, set primary color to white, enable "fill whole selection" in the tool options.
    • Now fill the mask with white by clicking somewhere within the selected mask.
    • Last step would be to remove the selection with "Select" > "None".
    • Continue with the next regions.
    • When finished with all regions, make sure all are visible (the small eye symbol). Then rightclick on any layer and click on "New from Visible" to get a flattened layer from your regions. This is the layer you want to export to DDS in DXT1 format without any alpha.
    Hope that helps! ;)

12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Okay, think I’ve got the right idea here. I just have to manually do the layer masks as opposed to linking them.

FuNK! likes this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Well, whaddya know? It DOES work with GIMP! Cheers @FuNK!

I might even be the one to make the video tutorial for it. 20190203191153_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I really hope this system works for all cars and tracks, could get content to look more consistent this way.
    They do need to improve tho, their own content is not yet using all their engine can do.

15. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Read before you download a CS2 product
    Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems; Adobe no longer supports them.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.

Doesn't sound free to me!

AMillward likes this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Exactly. Just get GIMP, it does exactly the same thing and opens .psd files.

17. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

someone knows how to edit the windows template? i would put a red "Audi Sport" text on top the windshield of the Audi R8

18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Basically, make your changes to the Audi window template.
    Create a mas file with your window and car templates.

19. MBS

MBS Registered

So when I created a new skin for myself via create car. How can I share this with friends? Which files or folders do they need?
    Thanks

Hocician likes this.
  20. Carr

Carr Registered

I have asked in the first reply in this thread about what is required for this to work on the car, but there has been no response. I would assume that it more likely to be somewhat universal considering that it uses an additional map to generate the effects, but until we get clarification from @Christopher Elliott or someone else from S397 we won't know for sure. I have a feeling that it may be restricted based on where the object is loaded in the .GEN file and only work on objects in the main instance and not work for debris objects (just like damage). Hopefully they will clear this up for us soon, or even provide an example car or parts of one if there are specific requirements.

As for the modding resources, are you referring to this page - https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/ . A lot of it isn't really used anymore but there is still some good info.

DaREALMastaD likes this.