Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

That's a bloody good point. I really just likened the dashboard to a steam clone. It is very true they're trying to create their own eco system separate from the other DRM's but I suppose it just never bothered me personally. TBH most of the time I just start a game from my monitor and then by the time I've put the HMD on I'm in the game so I rarely even see the dashboard.

2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

yeah, if you start game like that, there's even a way to kill Dash using my WOC .dll. You just need to write a command, something like this::

timeout 5 & taskkill /IM "whatever dash process name is"

Anyway, I am done with Oculus for good.

bravotangosix likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The "ADs" in Oculus Home are no different from Steam, Origin, Epic, Vive etc etc. Easy to ignore just like ads on web pages, or on the television. Personally in Oculus (as in other aforementioned programs) they're fine as sometimes there's a Gem of a game that comes up that peaks your interest, the rest of the time they're easily ignored. :)

4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Sorry Marc, but that is not true. Don't know about Origin, but Steam/Steam VR allows to turn ads (suggestions) off. Battle.net even allows to run game without Battle.net. WMR does not display ads on desktop, and in HMD I believe they are not in your face. But I absolutely agree it does not bother most people, and it isn't as horrible I may make it sound. If you are fine with it - good for you. But to me experience feels exactly as if Windows opened Store every time you login, and you had no control over that. It is absurd example, yet that is exactly what Oculus does.

What does Vive have? Is there anything mandatory other than Steam VR?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Steam for me do open a store recommendation every single damn time i start Steam. Not sure if it can be turned off. It doesnt take you to the store but it opens one separate window with recommendation/news (now with Steam Awards it was that one popping up every time). On triple monitors that f-ing window also pop up on the side monitor...

6. docsimo85

docsimo85 Registered

Hi, I received the Pimax 5K+ some days ago. Now I'm running rf2 with everything off in setting (except the first 5/6 settings to low). I have a GTX 1080, did you find a sort of good setup to achieve good fps and an acceptable graphic?
    Thanks.

7. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Hi docsimo85, I don't suppose you had a rift or vive before the Pimax did you? I'd be interested to hear how they compare visually from someone who has direct experience of both.

thanks

8. docsimo85

docsimo85 Registered

Hi Jon, I started VR since the dk1, I got dk2, pimax 4k, cv1 and I tried for some days a friend's Vive.
    The fov is amazing in Pimax, for the first time I can clearly understand the distance. Talking about graphics the Pimax is absolutely fantastic, with that resolution there's a big increase in view comfort. Absolutely no sde (I tried so hard to find a sort of pixel pattern but I am not able to see it), no ghosting, no godrays and no stuttering. The tracking (for the moment I don't use receiver base for pimax) is very good. No drift or center loose (after a 30 laps race I still have the perfect center, very good job pimax). I must admit, tbh, Pimax 5k needs some improvements, especially in rf2 (I use it as my main sim), where you must flag the old rendering type (reprojection) and to achieve at least 75 fps you need to lower the graphic settings a lot (that's why I wrote the first message up here ;) ). maybe some other user has some good info to make the experience better :D

MaD_King, EsxPaul, RaceNut and 3 others like this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

That thing must need A LOT of juice. :D 200FOV and 5K resolution... Sounds fantastic but the PC must be from NASA, lol. I actually see i can afford that one soon and 200FOV sounds awesome as it would cover your whole vision? Side ways at least, but how does it cover looking up/down? Do you still see black parts or are you totally immersed?

10. docsimo85

docsimo85 Registered

Really good question Alex, I must admit for the moment I didn't check it (my bad). Surely i'll do it tonight and i'll report to you :) I received Pimax only 7 days ago and 4 days ago I received all the parts for the "bass shaker addon" that I finished mount to my rig yesterday, busy days for me xD

11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Alex, you can configure that. Check out view->settings->user interface (especially last checkbox)
    upload_2019-1-15_7-27-2.png

Also, I've -silent switch on my Steam shortcut:
    upload_2019-1-15_7-27-53.png

So that steam starts like this:

upload_2019-1-15_7-24-16.png
    Games can be started from tray menu or command line, no need to open Steam.

Here's how it looks maximized:
    upload_2019-1-15_7-31-14.png

No hacks or workarounds, all official functionality. Steam VR also has setting to opt out of Home.

Attached Files:

12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks brother.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

When I start Oculus, I see the dashboard that shows VR games available in the Oculus store, one click and I can go to my game library, settings or just ignore it. It's hardly intrusive imo and what we have to endure on Television is far, far worse these days, let alone political battle ads and rhetoric everywhere. Oculus' approach feels pretty tame by comparison but, sharing of personal data (FB) is another matter. :confused:

bwana, Jeferson Richart and GrimDad like this.
  14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Congratulations on the new HMD! :)

May I ask how do you find fit/comfort compared to your previous headsets?

Also, is 45FPS + reprojection playable with Pimax? On headsets I had 45FPS+ASW (CV1) or 45FPS+motion reprojection (WMR Odyssey) experience was ok, I could barely tell the difference from 90FPS. Is that not the case with Pimax? Cheers!

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've recently been using SteamVR for RF2 (over OpenComposite v1) as v1.1.4 was decent with no lagging or massively dropped frames, it was smooth and just fine to use. So today they update to v1.1.7 and suddenly the SteamVR of Old is back o_O lagging, dropped frames etc

So I put the OpenComposite v1 DLL back in and voilĂ , back to smoothness that I had with the previous SteamVR version. (I'll try a Verify and/or uninstall/reinstall of SteamVR but that's for another day.)

For now check this MSI Afterburner screenshot out; On the Left of the Straight <cough> Red Lines is SteamVR v1.1.7, on the Right OpenComposite v1 which I refer too below:

Quick SteamVR vs OpenComposite.jpg

- Firstly ignore the very right of the graph, that's when I alt-tabbed to take the screenshot

- CPU Temps drop slightly
    - CPU Usage drops and is smoother

- GPU Temp ever so slightly increases and is smoother
    - GPU Usage averages much higher and much smoother, notice the Spikes in SteamVR

- RAM Usage drops slightly (due to not having SteamVR running at all)
    - Memory usage increases slightly

All in all a good comparison in SteamVR vs OpenComposite on my machine (other peoples Rigs may vary remember), I still need SteamVR for other purposes but for general play OpenComposite is back to being the winner! :)

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi.

What do you think about the Pimax 5K, associated with this system :

i7 4770K not OC, 16 GO DDR3, GTX 1080 not OC ?

The "Screen door effect/grid effect" really bothered me about the Oculus Rift Cv1, and I had to give it back.

I speak to you, regulars VR users, because I believe in the relevance of your VR experience, and frankly I do not know anything about it and have used Oculus too little time to make a relevant choice now.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@MarcG Have you tried this with the latest version of SteamVR 1.2.7? I tried the open composite a while back, but found that I had more issues than running the latest Nvidia driver and SteamVR :confused:

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok that was odd, my version is/was 1.1.7 so as per my post above "(I'll try a Verify and/or uninstall/reinstall of SteamVR but that's for another day.)", I just did a verify and 1.2.7 downloaded so for some reason I got 1.1.7...somehow! I'll take a look later or at the weekend and see if it reverts back to normal decent smoothness :)

P.S. I updated to latest nVidia Drivers today and I noticed Skyrim running a lot slower, so I may do a fresh uninstall/reinstall of those at the weekend just in case something broke there as well.

19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Anyone with Vive and roughly my specs (signature)? Wondering what to expect settings wise to get fluid racing.

20. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

SOLVED - GT3/Steam update caused problem, update update fixed it.

HEADING - Steam VR update now no rF2 race.

Been using Oculus VR with no problems.
    Oculus -> the add on that increases pixel density (forgot name) -> Steam VR->SimX->Single Player rF2
    ^^^ Start order. Never had any problems. Now (after Steam VR update) everything works up to and including getting into rF2 (set ups, cars, tracks, etc.) until I click on 'RACE' then I get sent into some virtual room that shows recent programs.
    I've tried several different start up combinations with no luck. What setting(s) do I need to change to get on track instead of being sent to the Steam VR(?) room?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019