Force Feedback problems only after some driving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Registered

Hello, I'm new to RF2 but I enjoy the feeling of the cars very very much. Especially the Spark F1 1968 is a blast to drive in VR. It feels like in the good old Grand Prix Legend days...
    The force feedback (FF) with my G27 is very good. I can feel everything. I love this feeling more than in any other sims (AC, ACC, PC2...) at the moment.

But very often (sometimes...) I notice a strange behaviour:

Although the FF is perfect it often/sometimes happens that after 1 or 2 laps suddenly the wheel starts to rattle a lot.
    By the way, I experience such kind of loud rattling for example on the laserscanned Sebring track too, but here from the beginning. Here I think I get FF-clipping because of the laserscan or because I have performance-problems on this track. But let's concentrate on the other tracks, where the FF works like a charme when I start a race or training session:

Why can on other tracks the FF be so good (without rattling) and then it starts to rattle after some time of driving? I also feel that this rattling may happen after a crash when I return to track. First I thought the car is damaged and therefore it's rattling but then I remembered that I have damage-settings set to "none" in the main menu.

Another idea is that after some time my PC could get a performance-problem and maybe I start to get FF-clipping and therefore the rattling?
    But what should cause this performance problem? And could this even be a valid reason for the rattling? (My wheel is not broken, because it works in all other sims and it works again in RF2 when I restart a race).

I read that because of the current DX11 version of RF2 it's not possible anymore to analyse FF-clipping (with DX9 i read there was a mod-app for pedals and clipping), correct?

Did anyone else experience similar behaviour? Do you know a possible reason or solution?

2. Magus

Magus Registered

This could be as a result of flat spotting the tires. Does it happen after braking hard and locking the wheels?

bwana and kimbo like this.
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Registered

Haha, thanks, that indeed could be a reason! Why didn't I think of the tires?
    Will have to try it!
    So that means, that my setting "damage = 0" doesn't refer to the tires, right? They still can suffer damage?

And another question: are the flatspots visualized? Can I see them on my openwheeler-car (okay, only the front tires ;-)) or is this only an effect through FF but can't be seen by the eyes?

4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'm with Magus on this one. I'm pretty sure flatspotting is the reason for the rattling.
    And no, damage doesn't refer to tires but if I'm correct, turning tire wear to off will disable flatspotting.

5. Mike1304

Mike1304 Registered

Thank you. Where can I find the tire wear option? I must be blind...:cool:

6. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

In session settings (Practice, Quali, Race).
    Where you select # of laps, AI difficulty, weather, etc...

Mike1304 likes this.
  7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

It is much harder in rF2 to realize you are locking the Wheels and thus suffer flat spots. Especially if you dont have sim gear that detect it like FFB on pedals or simvibe. In AC for example there is audio feedback of special tire screech sound that is easy to hear and thus easy to release brakes a Little bit until it goes away. In rF2 its much harder to hear. I wish they implemented its own sound and volume slider for Wheels being locked and the rubber being dragged on the tarmac. This is the reason i drive with anti-lock "low" even though i dont want it. Finding the sweet spot without any feedback of some sort is a bit tricky. It works but it would be nice with some audio feedback.

Kelju_K likes this.
  8. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Alternatively we could have a setting for the flatspot rumble. I have flatspottet tires in panic braking and yeah, it gave me a little vibration feeling in the steering wheel and a loud humming noise in the freeway. But it didnt make my tires feel squared like they do in game with G27. Sure you could argue that the G27 is a shitty wheel, but it is very widely sold and used in simracing.

Alex72 likes this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

The rumbling in the wheel is a good idea. Even coupled with a tire screech (different from sliding) would be amazing. To the second point i think OP drove for a while and was on his brake many times locking the wheels. If you do it enough you will feel the flat spot in any wheel (as you should). Before you know about the flat spotting though it can feel weird. :D