FFB Settings for T300

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by DrivingFast, Jan 1, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

!This post have been edited the 04/11/2020!

I propose my settings for the T300, NO CLIPPING and realistic settings :

1. Thrusmaster Control Panel

1.1. Overall forces = 100%
    1.2. Contant and Periodic = 100%
    1.3. Spring and Damper = 0%

2. Ingame settings

2.1. FFB smoothing = 0 (OFF)
    2.2. Vehicle set = yes
    2.3. Car Specific FFB Mult = 0.65
    For some rather rare cars it will be necessary to lower the value.
    0.55 is suitable for 99% of cars.
    By opening the "All vehicles" file (player folder), using the "replace by" function, you can do it for all cars at one time.

2.4. FFB Min Torque : 3%
    In the controller.json or ingame.

Also, check the line OFFROAD MULTIPLIER on the Controler.Json : and set 1 (100%).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your settings are your settings, and I'm not telling you what you should feel is best.

However, for the benefit of anyone reading this, note that FFB Mult of 1.15 will lead to some clipping in many cars (including those that come standard with the game). This can create a numb feeling mid corner, though how much that happens does depend on the car and setup.

Higher values such as this will lead to a stronger FFB feeling overall and will make things generally feel better (same as listening to music louder will make it sound better), but it's important to be aware of the potential for clipping so that if you find you aren't getting much useful feedback with at higher force levels you can try lowering it to see if it helps.

Travis and kimbo like this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Ok.

I don't think I have a lot of clipping, will see if there is a hud clipping tool in the new UI.

Nevertherless I suggest everyone to test these settings, there are awesome and I don't think I have a lot clipping.

EDIT :
    I had a lot clipping ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  4. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

First post has been edited (considering clipping, using DamPlugin).

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i tested long time ago with 1.30 ffb and i knew i werre cliping but sence of grip was different and i was kinda liked it
    after some time i went back to 1.0 ffb

7. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What overall force ffb (on the thrustmaster driver) ?

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Try my settings ;)

Good compromise between sensations and low clipping.

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

FFB Min Torque : 3.7% (in the controller.json).
    ???????
    i can choose min ffb inside game why bother with json file ?

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

a-lot of this thread began long before the min. torque option was available via the menus. So JSON editing was the only way. I suspect many still use that since they also tweak numerous other items hidden in those pesky JSONS.

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

No, it's just more accurate (to 0.1% in controller.json VS 0.5% ingame).

I just try to help t300 users.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    davehenrie and mesfigas like this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just for info, running Mult 1.3 with wheel setting of 75 will give you all the same feelings as 1.0 & 100, except that you lose the top 25% of your forces (because of clipping).

The only reasons to run less than 100 in the profiler are:
    • if you subscribe to the theory that wheel forces are less linear with higher settings, with 'wheelcheck' as evidence (I think it's flawed)
    • you want to have (significant) clipping, in which case running at full power might damage the wheel.
    I think it's a much better option to run 100 in the profiler and take the Mult down to mostly eliminate clipping, and in fact it's important to do so with these wheels.

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Lazza i run standard 1.0 ffb from rf2 and 0.75 at thrustmaster cp
    thats my standard
    also i v heard that the minimum ffb multiplier from rf2 is good to be 1.0 so i dont miss any info
    is that correct ?

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If past history(GTR2, rF1) is any guide, when you make a JSON edit it will only remain as long as you do NOT use the menus to adjust controller parameters. I am not aware of this in rF2, but your reply just jogged a memory. folks would edit .ini files and like the results, they'd make other changes via the menus and the .ini edits would be overwritten by the default settings of the menus. Just a thought.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nothing is absolutely correct :)

Even 0.5 can lose some details in more extreme situations, plus it depends on how the mod has been calibrated. The level of steering column torque that equals 100% is defined by the modder (not as part of the physics; they can choose where 100% is. It could be 10Nm, or 20Nm, or 60Nm. The only way to override it is to tell the game how strong your wheel is and have your wheel stronger than the car's level). If a mod has been aimed at strong wheels it may hardly clip at 1.0 so 1.1 or higher is actually better.

I find that a lot of mods, including those that come with the game, are directed at consumer wheels. G27 level. For that sort of wheel it usually feels better to have a bit more clipping so that you can have generally stronger forces. So if you have a stronger wheel, you can usually get away with lowering the Mult a bit so you have less clipping. But it is personal preference.

What you probably don't want to do is have your CP set to 1.0 while the game is 1.0 - then (generally) you will have the wheel pushing at full force, sustained, at times while it's clipping. That runs the motor hard and can lead to heat and failures.

If you swap your 1.0 Mult and 0.75 CP, to 0.75 Mult and 1.0 CP, you'll end up with the wheel doing the same work where there's already no clipping, then there's extra room (33%, from 0.75 to 1.0) for the game to give you extra feedback with strong forces. Your wheel will work harder at that point than it does now, but it shouldn't happen enough to cause issues. You'll get hardly any sustained full forces.

I run my T500 on 1.0 and my Mult varies between around 0.60 and 0.75 depending on the vehicle. My only mod is changing the standard fan for a new Noctua one. It probably does cool better, but mainly it makes a lot less noise.

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

that expains a lot
    thanks Lazza

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The first post has been updated.

Very very good settings, with low clipping.

I have validated these settings regarding the clipping (damplugin + motec).

Test !!

Paolo Pennimpede likes this.
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Final settings on first post.
    I think it is really optimal.

PatientRF2fan and Corti like this.
  20. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Having just bought the tspc racer I can confirm tyre feel is better with higher ffb. although the tspc wheel is stronger r has more low down detail so you don't get the clipping.