Goodwood Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mantasisg, Nov 19, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Edit 2020 08 27> Latest test build link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tqpicuw4cpw4bu8/Goodwood_015.rfcmp/file <Edit is over (don't mind the version number, it means nothing).

Hello, I finally got myself into modding of rFactor 2, and I reallly like it :)

I have made several mods for AC, and I wish to make them fit to rF2. First one is going to be Goodwood Circuit and I will need help, because I wan't to spend time as optimum as possible and get the best results I can get. First, I only want to get clean conversion and later get the track up to rF2 standard.

Track is based on LiDAR data of Chichester which is publicly available.

I work with blender so it is a bit tricky in some places, but thanks to great addon made be @Traveller it is more than possible, and I already have huge part of the model in rF2.

A superb guide to the track:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    joker68, atomed, memoNo1 and 21 others like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So first things first. I need help !

1. For some reason as soon as I spawn I get "leaving pits under red" penalty. How to get rid it ? I have the surface I spawn on named Pit_floor, I followed Oulton mod as example.

2. Whats the best way to update .scn file. Because it gets difficult as it gets more complex, and I have to edit some things manually each time I export it from gjed.

3. Should I wait for new version of gJed ?

4. A problem with skidmarks textures, which I couldn't solve yet, maybe someone know why it render like that. I also have some problems of alpha test/cutting with some other objects/textures such as tramc/grass edges being rendered really badly in devmode:
    [​IMG]

5.A shadow problems example. As seen on left edge shadow stops being rendered vefore it leaves view. Also i have shadow stopping being rendered in some other objects, or some shadows leaving gaps from their "origin" obects..
    [​IMG]

6.I have no idea why this object renders yellowish, just can't find why.
    [​IMG]

7.Problems with normals not being up, also problems with some UV channels of Real Road and Multi layer grass. These are probably related with blender script limitations for exporting FBX. Should be better when I'll export gmt, yet to try.
    [​IMG]

I also have a few more issues, but they are fresh. These were bothering me for a while with no success. I would appreciate the help, hints, suggestions...

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Nope.

4. KittX

KittX Registered

1. AIW issue it seems.
    2. Some people would disagree, as some prefer to set up everything in Max, and export full SCN file every time they add new object in 3ds Max, but it gets very cumbersome when you have a lot of objects in scene. Plus you still can finetune some things by hand in scn file.
    So I suggest export with some temporary scn, taking only objects you've exported recently, and pasting to the track's scn file. You can group the objects by type this way as well. Being able to "read" the track's scene file quickly to isolate problematic objects is a good habit.
    5. Is this screen from gjed right? I've got the same in viewer, in devmode/sp all is fine.
    6. That area seems to be part of racesurface object, while doesn't have realroad shader applied to it. RR is using vertex color and alpha in real time, but in RR shaders you don't see how it's coloring directly because it's controlling the groove/marbles/etc. On a non-realroad shader you see how it colors the VC.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    atomed, roby13, Emery and 2 others like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks you for help :)
    1. Do I have to define surface object in AIW to make it part of pits ?
    2.Thanks it makes sense to me, will try to adapt it into the workflow :)
    5. Yes it is from gJed perhaps it is not exactly like that in devmode, but some objects shadows still has strange drawing distance, or gets cut off, or leaves gaps from their origin objects.
    6. Thanks, that must be it :) The object is really racesurface :)

Anyone has any ideas about 4th point ? Some of my objects using alpha test doesn't look good at all. Could it be related to normals, or some specific .dds setting ? Or maybe something about vertex colors ?

6. KittX

KittX Registered

1. You need to read/watch more about AIW creation, basically until you create waypoints (main + pit paths), fast path, left/right etc, corridors and all the spawn locations, everything related to AI and track rules will be broken. The surface naming is important too, but for different reason: first, it defines which ffb/physics the surface is (according to list of surfaces in TDF file), then _WET suffix adds reaction to rain, and finally legal=true/false (in the tdf file) will define the surface is legal to drive on, or not. AFAIK, it will affect on cut corridor creation, and also will define the AI behaviour.
    4. I haven't used that combination of texs + colors in my gMotor experience. I mean, your diffuse seem to be like alpha, white is opaque, black is transparent, and the color of skidmarks is controlled via diffuse color in shader? In gMotor it's more natural way to move that white/black to alpha channel of texture, and put actual color (or sort of, albedo-alike) into the diffuse rgb. You can still use alpha test though.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    roby13, Mauro and mantasisg like this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'll have to dig deeper into AIW. I was able to easily make main path, it was surprisingly easy, I also loved watching AI learning it, it was awesome. It was also easy to make garage locations and grid locations. But when it comes to pits it becomes difficult.

As for the texture in issue #4, it has alpha channel to do most work, rgb channels are mostly noise. I have many problems with objects that has transparency in general. For example can't get road grass transition texture/object to look right in gjed, and in devmode it is hardly rendered..

atomed likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Good stuff, kinda solving issue #7 it was a big deal breaker, probably even bigger than the issue with UV channels, which is still not solved.

I still don't find exporting straight to gmt from blender to be a good option, I tried to experiment blender>gmt (with Travellers addon)>gJed>gmt, I didn't have good results, still should try again and get something useful to raport to Traveller. Blender deserves good support. I wish simply fbx export was supported better.

Right now I find that it is possible to point normals up with 3Dsimed, though it is not the best option, it seems like the only option to me right now...

Here is how some Dafodils looks now with normals actually pointing up, so their shading is even. You still can see some issues with shading, thats from the actual texture normals, needs to be adjusted.

[​IMG]

There is also issue #8 presented in this screenshot. For some reason when the car is in my track for car body shader it is using DIFFUSEPLACEHOLDER.JPG from the texture map folder of the track, and also for outside windshields, nevermind weird blue effect on inside windows.. It doesn't happen in Joesville. It does happen with SkipBarber too, so it has to be an issue with a track files. I have looked everywhere and I can not come to idea what is causing this, maybe someone know ?

P.S. having fitting track and car in DevMode is just right ! I can not imagine building the physics for this beast in Joesville :D

9. KittX

KittX Registered

I feel kinda pity that you have to use a lot of "middleware" programs for getting your track models ingame, as I suppose you're still missing a few things that can be set up in 3ds max, and exported correctly right away. So the workflow could be export from max > watch in devmode > make few corrections > export from max again / skip the last two steps.
    But huh, probably for you porting all your stuff and habits into a different source 3d modelling program might be too much.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah it is not ideal, and I will probably not be able to have really good results unless there will be positive change. I really wouldn't like to go for 3Ds max, I don't like it, it is IMO uncomfortable, loads a long time, expen$ive, it deserves a good rival like all Autodesk products does.

There is one issue I am facing at the moment, as I am working on a car and on a track, last time I have tried to experiment in gJed with track opening single objects and so... I have probably broken persistance file for the project. Now I am afraid to open gJed again for the track, I am worried that I can break persistance of my car project. Can I work on multiple projects with gJed and not break anything ?

11. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Man I wish I could be assistance. Unfortunately everything is beyond my level of editing. The previews have been great!

mantasisg and Alex72 like this.
  12. KittX

KittX Registered

Well, thing is until the dev standard is 3ds max, chances that other software would be fully supported are close to none.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So today I spent a lot of time on the track. First of all when I opened the project for some reason most of the materials were messed, I had to do them again or edit them it took a lt of time, however, it was good chance to rename objects, so I renamed them, removed all capital letters, unnecessary suffixes, blender suffixes... At the end even though my project for some reaon was messed up, and I nearly had to do gJed work from the bottom again, it was all good, because I somehow lost some annoying issues such as issue #4, so now skidmarks and road/grass transitions are +-ok.

Now the remaining issues to fix before working further, or before posting a test version link for those who would like to:
    #1 issue, still have it, but I haven't tried to work with AIW since then, so... work on the aiw
    #3 probably shouldn't count on this, though new gJed version would probably make me as happy as new rF2 UI :D
    #5 still not happy about some shadows;
    #8 cars having replaced textures, I have no idea what causes that;
    #9 didn't manage to get grass to have at least as proper color as before, so grass texture colors
    #10 match vertical grass shading and color. Even though I was able to point normals up with 3Dsimed, the lawn around the track still looks more like littered;
    #11 find out how to solve issues with multiple UV channels not working in real road shader and multi layer grass/dirt shader, right now can only ignore it.

There is one recent issue... I have separated all foliage from my main track objects. I wish to do foliage separately with gJed, but I think I am not going to touch it for a while not to break main gJed project, I wonder if I already broke XJ13 gJed project.

One kool thing ! I tried rain and it works great, except that wetness appears warped, but it works, it builds up, it dries down as I drive, and later when it is dry, rubber builds up too. But because UV problems I can't fully utilise it all.

I also had mad fun with XJ13 in the wet, kinda felt like Kenny Brack with GT40, though I went a bit faster than him, then I reduced wet grip a bit, but I still was faster. Then I remembered that viscous hydroplaning is not in effect, so I don't have to use longer lines, adding to that dynamic hydroplanning and puddles aren't really presented in rF2 so I suppose I could add 6-8 seconds to my laptime (1'44), and then it seems fair.

But how fun it was, car is very twitchy, but handles well if you just go through it, car speaks fast at front and rear, they are loosing grip at different times, loosing it quick and regaining it quick as well, car is wobbling, very believably, you can get nice powerslides if you carefully press it down, but you can't abuse it, have to do a lot of control with throttle...

Overall I am quite happy with physics work on the car so far, even though much of it is not based on any data, mostly on feel, I feel like it is a good way too. I also for the first time feel like rF2 wet physics are actually really good, despite lacking few important elements. I feel like some cars in rF2 in rain has something wrong the way they act on the balance point between sliding, and having grip, maybe front tires usually lacks grip when car is accelerating, so you can't fish the rear end out of the slide because front and rear startst sliding, even though at first only rear end should slide ? I find that I usually want to give front tires a bit more grip, even though they are not so wide.

Just to compensate lack of media in this post:

Wet stuff related. Always has grip at the front, rear slides doesn't kill immediately, and can take quite a bit of angle, and stay there. It was sideways forever at 1:39, I am not sayign that it is easy, and safe. But try to do that with M23, you will not make it. It will probably fall off super fast.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Sebastien Sestacq, Louis and Mauro like this.
  14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

#8 I think that if I can remember correctly, you must not have same texturenames across cars and tracks in the gmts - they get loaded once by the track loading and then are on the cars too

I also read somewhere that there is still some difference between dev mode and regular mode - try to pack up and use in regular mode

Wet physics not complete afaik

mantasisg likes this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks @Hazi I had TEXTUREPLACEHOLDER textures in track maps, removed them and then car loads properly. Though I now see that I have problem with reflections not working in my track.

I also tried to get my car and track to main game. It was easy to do with a car, but I have a trouble with track, I already tried a lot of stuff, and track still doesn't load, I suspect that issue could be .AIW, but I don't know and log files doesn't say anything. I tried to launch private only practice session with no AI, but it still is crashing.

I really want to check cobra 289 mod pace, I think it is too fast :D

Hazi likes this.
  16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Yes I think you need an AIW file to be in the directory. Dont know if a fake one works. But when I tried last (years ago :) ) the RF1 ones worked to get it started. For reflections to work you need a reflection plane in the track and the corresponding entries in the scn file......

mantasisg likes this.
  17. Mauro

Mauro Registered

18. woochoo

woochoo Registered

lbird and Mauro like this.
  19. Legend

Legend Registered

hi mantasisg no news about this great project?

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Stuck for now. I am thinking about trying to move to 3Ds max, but it is expensive, loads a long time, uncomfortable, complex, would require a lot new learning... I might continue with blender by dabbling a bit sometimes, and wait for better time. Also gJed is wip, also might wait for better time.