The Future Of: AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by burgesjl, Dec 15, 2018.

1. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

That’s probably a safe bet.

Adding new bells and whistles, ignoring many of the long standing issues that will keep the sim from ever really going anywhere IMO. I think there’s a reason why even the devs of “the other sim” seemingly had no interest in including AI have now gone back the other direction, in my opinion, an attempt to compete with the other titles that have offline content.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/s397-please-this-ai-issue-needs-fixing.61884/

My biggest gripe of ai rest I can even live with

Once upon a time rf2 ai was the best but not anymore I have more fun and intense racing now in raceroom. The ai attack and defend in that it really is now the benchmark off offline racing, geez even acc ai overtake in a draft.

I do like rf2 but others are starting to catch up in terms of features. The handling and ffb is still unmatched IMHO, but rf2 can't be a one trick pony, not any more.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. Pales

Pales Registered

Couldn’t agree more, I wish the developers would at least acknowledge this issue and attempt to address it. It’s a huge problem.

Hazi likes this.
  4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Matter of opinion. R3E AI is far from a benchmark to me. It's still kinda blind, try to go for gaps that are not there and are very slow on corner entry......but I agree rF2 AI has some minor issues that could be addressed.
    ACC AI is as bad as its predecessor :D

BlkJello, bhendrik and Rui Santos like this.
  5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have been always an online player but in the last 2 years I don’t have much time to race online anymore, so I’m racing only offline and yes the AI in rfactor2 needs a lot of attention from Studio 397. They should, because I’m sure that at least 50% of rfactor2 users are offline racers and the AI is very important for a good and enjoyable offline races. Even the small things like AI cars that don’t respect the blue flags at all ruins the offline driving. Yesterday I was doing my hot lap in qualifications and one of the AI cars that was doing the out lap from pit stop didn’t respect the blue flags and it was even trying to block me .

6. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Agreed, ai needs work. The modern dlc like the GTE and the two GT 3 packs all intend to crash when they are are of the racing line and attacking or trying get out of the way ( blue flags). The ai seems to lack rear and grip. Lot of the time it is not a aiw thing because for example the Aoex gt3 or the URD GTE”s do not have this problem.

And most of the time you have to set the talent files to a maximum of 80 speed and 50 aggresion because they drift out at every fast cotner they can find.

7. Pales

Pales Registered

Just so you're all aware, Raceroom recently pulled out the biggest update of the year for AI. It's literally a GAME CHANGER, and completely above and beyond the current capabilities of RF2. It's sad to say this but after experiencing this type of quality, I have since uninstalled RF2 after 1,000+ hours of offline racing.

- Mullticlass AI (A bespoke section specifically designed to add/remove car classes, AI liveries, properties, offline championship, etc).
    - Adaptive AI (Another game changer for exciting racing)
    - AI Slip Stream (Probably the best thing about Raceroom, the AI are now probably the best in the business. What's even more impressive is, they will even move off the racing line to follow a car in order to regain slipstream and speed!!).
    - Mandatory Pit Stops (Variety and randomness, different strategy.)
    -AI Behavior (Following the most recent update, they now fight aggressively/casually, can overtake in tight tracks and corners, can handle slower cars in traffic. It really is a spectacle, especially on tracks like Bathrust).

Edit: Just to add something further to my comment above, I am not trying to 'shill' Raceroom, I am simply informing people of what other games are out there that fill the desires people want for AI racing. We all know RF2 has been stagnant for years with the AI, and this is unlikely to change for many years, if at all. Raceroom really appears to be focusing of this as late and even mentioned briefly in the new year update that it would be a heavy focus this year. This is what you want from a company. Continuous innovation and addressing the core gameplay.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

rf2 need to kick ai to the curb and focus on people racing real people, ai is the past, and will never rival racing real people

Andregee likes this.
  9. Pales

Pales Registered

You say this, but iRacing, the most authentic sim racing experience online is now focusing on AI development. If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what will.

10. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

AI could be better, considering some other, maybe even "simcade", titles, have done a slightly better job in a few places:
    Under FCY, AI will usually leave gaps between cars, also the consistant speed option is a strange thing to have with some mods ("AI Formation by Position" option set to true might help for deleting gaps, I haven't checked that out though...);
    Also under FCY, if you try and leave SC before restart by slowing down, you will soon get demoted to last place - that leaves no space for a proper restart, from what I learned;
    The throttle application through corners (the constant on-off) is a bit irritating sometimes (why do I think this was not an issue a few years ago...);
    And also yes, fuel calculations are not great when there are engines modes to choose from.

I mostly play offline since I'm not that good to even try for online competition, and I'd race more if the AI would not have problems like that. For now, I mainly use the game for hotlapping, since AI isn't too good.

11. Louis

Louis Registered

Seems pointless discussing anything here about AI future without devs participation. Roadmaps also is a one-way form to communicate which doesn´t help much .

bears likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Yeah iracing further diluteting the playerbase, gg

13. Pales

Pales Registered

I would have to disagree with this. By introducing AI, you’re catering towards an entire new player base, one which may then proceed to play online as well. It’s effectively a win, win.

BlkJello, bears and Mike Tobin like this.
  14. nurogize

nurogize Registered

Let me know, when I can organize a race with 39 human opponents on the fly, on a track with cars of my choice, and be able to restart as needed.

15. Filip

Filip Registered

And in the hour of my choice.

16. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I wish I was lucky enough to live in an rF2 friendly timezone. Very little to participate in here in Asia. Aussies league races are at my 6pm and Euro guys at my 4am.

So, I'm stuck with the AI.

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I am actually pretty impressed with the AI. They are even capable of joining online sessions and filling all the servers. I tried chatting with them a couple of times but either that function is not implemented yet - or they wont talk to hoooomans.... :D

18. Flaux

Flaux Registered

The AI chat function has been disabled some years ago!? Sadly. Or is it still there?

#poindexter #rf1 #goodoldays

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Mibrandt and Filip like this.
  19. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Agree, AI will probably never reach racing real people but imo it’s still important to develop a good AI. You just have to look at many forums and how people are tired of (bad) online racing: there is a need for AI racing. People often have no time to dedicate to a proper league or to practice hours to be competitive (for Iracing for example or for their league). You sometimes wonder that there’s still no good AI available in the year 2019 which is better than the ones we had for example 20 years ago.

McKiernan likes this.
  20. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

They've talked to me during the track learning process but they're kinda rude and always tell me to stay out of their way so I don't reply back :p