Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Mate, couldn't agree more, if it's working fine for you leave it be. Don't touch anything. ;) The only reason I made changes to mine was that it was broken and had stutters (probably from so much stuff running :p 6 applications just to get my rig going :eek:) I don't even know what my fps is nowdays. Like you, I just look for smoothness.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Sean_S36, EsxPaul and GrimDad like this.
  2. Clemenca

Clemenca Registered

Hi guys,

i have a problem with the changed openvr_api.dll to eliminate SteamVR.
    On two systems it works perfektly, but on one system i get a strange error. When i start single or multiplayer game, i see the settings in the Rift, i can make changes or select car/track, so Rift works normal without SteamVR. But when i want to enter the car, mirror on monitor gets frozen and i get the folloing errormessage:

OVR Call failed, aborting. Error code: -6001 Descr: There is no room in the texture swapchain to accept more frames.

Any idea what is the problem. When i switch back to default openvr_api.dll, i can drive with SteamVR an Rift without any problem, also i had never problems with Rift and Assetto Corsa, which also directly access Oculus Home...

3. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

@bwana
    Getting a little nausea at times...graphics is noticeably different (mostly exterior like road and environment), menus are tricky to get used to (navigating, virtual desktops etc.). Other than that, this has been a "WOW" experience.

*Sry for the "off-topic" post guys, I just wanted to share that with a fellow new user:)
    *Also, getting the best performance from AC... fwiw. Going to try the bypass (Iron Wolf) and see if that helps for Rf2.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....hread-settings-tips.55249/page-85#post-968482

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    bwana and EsxPaul like this.
  4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@proff chaos
    Look in game settings / display / stabilize horizon low-med-high / & settings / controls / head physics slider & turn off head vibration
    might help with sick feelings

proff chaos likes this.
  5. flaviocarvalho

flaviocarvalho Registered

Thanks for all the help.

Right now I managed to, get a good visual experience with the best (at least for my eyes) smoothness.

But I still get an issue. Is it normal for the image of the game moves? Like, if I look left, the image recenters there and to look straight forward I have to look right let's say, 20ยบ. I don't know if I'm explaining it well...
    Don't happens all the time but happens from time to time. And it gets worse with other games like Assetto Corsa and dirt rally and even worse with RBR.
    Also, I notice that sometimes the image wobles, like it is shaking. Am I making any sense to you?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

6. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

flaviocarvalho likes this.
  7. flaviocarvalho

Is there any test that I can make before assuming that and talk with Lenovo for a replacement?

8. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I did a quick search and only found results saying the lenovo headset tracks very good.

Try using a different USB preferably on the motherboard and not on the case or pci-e expansion card.
    Also check if power options are set to turn off to save power on the USB hubs.
    Device manager / universal serial bus controllers / generic hub / right click / properties / power management

flaviocarvalho and JimmyT like this.
  9. flaviocarvalho

The headset is connected trough the motherboard on a 3.0 usb. I will try another one that I have left.
    In fact, this only happens from time to time. In the afternoon I did a 25min race with the gt3 (the old s397 ones) in Botniaring and it happened in the beggining of the race only. After that worked good.

I'm more inclined to think of something software related. Because I read somewhere that the update from windows 10 that they made in october caused similar issues on others (the one I saw was with a samsung odyssey).
    Can I downgrade to another version of the windows? Sorry for the question but I'm very noob on this things.

10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Have a look on lenovo forums I'm sure you're not the only one having this issue if like you say it is software related.
    For now that's all I got I'm afraid....sorry I can't help

11. Comante

Comante Registered

Make sure there is not some sunlight coming from strange directions or some reflective surfaces that can trick the headset , and finally that you are not staring at a plain white wall. I have only TrackIr, but with dirt Rally I have issue too with tracking, so I fear is the game and not the headset.

12. flaviocarvalho

The room is totaly dark with only 3 LED lights in the back of me. And in front I have a 40'' TV and I don't mirror screen, so It's black image.

I saw someone in this thread having issues similar to mine (but only with the stutters/shakes/woble not the centering problem) and he solved it by checking files integrity (I did not thought about it earlier) and "Clear CBash and Shaders and retry settings!" but I do not know what this last step means.

13. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

14. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Registered

Your room being too dark might be causing the loss of tracking. Try having more light in the room and see if that improves things for you.

flaviocarvalho and Comante like this.
  15. flaviocarvalho

The room is iluminated, but not that much that can make reflections in the tv.

Also, I have a question, do we have to select any build in the properties of rF2? or leave it "none - opt out all beta programs" ?

What I will do, delete cbash and shaders, try to revert W10 build of October 2018 to the one of April 2018, check files integrity in steam and light a candle or two...
    :D

Pray for me...

EsxPaul likes this.
  16. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

leave it "none - opt out all beta = correct beta ended a year ago
    I doubt windows version change will change anything other than version ;)

17. lagg

lagg Registered

Try to switch on the light of the room.
    I thin that the Lenovo uses the camera for tracking and need good light.

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

With inside-out tracking, proper lighting should improve head-tracking performance but, there are other possible issues related to software and/or drivers, etc. It may be a process of elimination in solving the issue but, start with the most likely and easiest issues to solve and see where that leads.

Outside-in tracking (Rift, Vive) can be adversely affected by too much light and / or reflections, LED's, etc. I imagine reflections can also impact the WMR head-sets.

19. flaviocarvalho

well, I did everything I said (except the W10 downgrade) and in rf2 it helped a lot. Did a 60 min race in Estoril with 24 AI multiclass (LMP2;GTE;GT3) and besides the frames drop in the start and couple first laps, everything went good. Managed to get average 90fps, with the minimun being 66fps.
    The stutters almost disapeared and the lost centering issue happened only once in the first lap along side with a 1sec freeze.

Then made another test, same AI in autodromo Algarve (less quality track) and didn't manage to get more than 45fps, with the minimun being 33fps and the maximum 66fps. The stutters were a lot worse but the headset kept the center.

So, I assume it's software related. Maybe I'll try to lower graphics a little.

In dirt rally and Assetto Corsa, I noticed that the screen was being mirrored (BTW anyone knows how to turn the screen mirroring off??) and in that circunstances the headset lost centering quite a lot, making playing the game almost impossible and making me almost vomite...
    In ACorsa didn't get to start the race because can't get my mouse to work to start the actual race (it works fine in the menus, but once I get in the car I can't move the mouse to select "Race". Anyone knows how to workarround this?

Thanks to all that are helping!
    :D

GrimDad likes this.
  20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The mirroring (to desktop) is a function of memory so it doesn't place extra load on the GPU (provided it works as intended) but, it may indicate an issue related to memory in general in your case (?). Just a thought . . .