Please BOP the Chevrolet Camaro GT3 to the other GT3 cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brack Jabham, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

With all the hype for the GT3 Challengers pack, it seems to have been officially forgotten that the ISI Chevy Camaro is still currently homologated for GT3.

So how about updating this beauty so we can run in fairly in our leagues?

Then you would have 14 official GT cars (or will this car just gather dust on our racing shelves?)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    mesfigas, pas74, Alex72 and 6 others like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

and it would be nice to update tires to the ones used in GT3 DLC.

mesfigas likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Is it too fast or too slow ? I have done little comparison a while ago, didn't seem very far apart. But it was very brief test which I have done, not very valuable.

And I wasn't even really testing pace, but car behavior, or to be more exact tire behavior. S397 GT3 cars - very throttle friendly, ISI Camaro - not that friendly. IMO ISI Camaro is more realistic, though maybe a bit too nervous, just guessing.

4. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Tires for sure need updating. Only Medium or wet compounds available, gear ratio selection is allowed. THese things means it is difficult to accurately compare whether it is too fast or too slow in the right hands, but it is for sure not BOP to the others

avenger82 and Alex72 like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Camaro slides much more. On the other hand GT3 DLC cars seem to have too much grip, of course especially on soft tires and rubbered track. But still in AC on optimum track same cars are more oversteer-prone especially power oversteer(but have less understeer instead). I get better lap times in RF2. In R3E GT3 cars handle closer to RF2 DLC cars so I don’t know. Camaro uses old tech so you would think it’s less realistic.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

What old tech Camaro is using ? I would like you to explain that, and how it makes it less realistic ?

I'd hate if Camaro tires would be just swept away, I like how ISI has made it, even though maybe it is just a little on the difficult side.

Anyway I am not a fan of this BoP stuff "make every car the same". 2012 Camaro has its charm and it would a shame to loose it. The tires are believable to me, natural, not idealised.

Anyway as much as I tried Camaro seems to be ~+-1s around current GT3 cars, so whats wrong ? Correct me if the pace is actually less similar, I haven't done too much testing, and I have more work with Camaro to get good pace, with new GT3 cars there is less effort, but AI times are similar, they don't care about effort :D

7. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

When I drive Camaro it's sliding much more, feels constantly "on edge" i.e. very power-oversteer prone(TC off). Even more so than AC GT3s.
    This is unlike what you'd expect from GT3 car (which shouldn’t be that difficult as many "amateurs" race it). Try GT3 DLC cars, or Apex, or in R3E. They are all much easier to race with TC off (but I know GT3 have TC on by default).

Yes I mostly meant tire model which has been improved A LOT since Camaro was released and GT3 DLC cars have these updated to latest, and greatest:) iteration.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Tire is tire, it doesn't care if you are amateur or pro. Or if it is GT3 or Miata.

So the very basic question is how good the tire is.

P.S. I wouldn't be sure about TC enabled by default. Never heard about that, I only heard that IRL they always use some.

9. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Registered

still less than reality. this is how a modern race tyre had to work

this is grip.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats why grip is not simple subject. It changes under load, temperature, slip angle and ratio, has traction eclipses....

11. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I meant GT3 shouldn’t be that difficult to race as Camaro, because even rich “amateurs” are able to race them.
    And yes Gt3 always have TC

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If the Camaro got real data all it needs is proper gear ratio, new tires and maybe some weight change. It's an old car, they have improved a lot in recent years, especially tires. There was no changes in the class and the cars have been going faster lately thanks to Pirelli (still 3~4 seconds slower than the same cars in GT300 thanks to tire war) and they work to make the cars more grippy, easier to drive with every new upgrade

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would simply ask not to adjust Camaro for "rich amateurs" if that is what they want. Please don't do it. I don't believe that it is even possible to have such tire that would make TC obsolete.

I don't believe it, could you please link me to some source. It doesn't make sense to me when you clearly see that it states "off".

14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

When you said that GT3 always use TC by default I understood that you meant that you can not shut it off completely. So I thought it was not true. So you can shut it off completely.

I also said that I know that GT3 drivers always use at least some TC. So it means that tires always can break traction on acceleration. Thats it. I didn't say that the cars doesn't have TC.

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

As you probably noticed English isn't my native language, but I still think this was clear:
    "but I know GT3 have TC on by default"
    I didn't suggest that it can't be turned off, although I don't really know if drivers are able to do it.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is clear now. As much as I heard, the drivers would like to turn it off sometimes, but they are asked not to do that, or something like that....

18. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

My whole point of BOP (despite some thoughts in this thread) is that GT3 cars are BOP. Therefore, at the moment, you can't run the Camaro against the other GT3 cars as they have different in game tech. It doesn't matter whether you like how it drives using the old tech or not - in a simulator, you simulate real life so this car should be BOP to the others. That also means if it is easier for gentleman drivers, then that is what is being simulated. There are other cars that are harder to drive (also true to life) available in the sim

Lance Link and McKiernan like this.
  19. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

The Camaro handles very similarly to the one in R3E. I drove the rF2 Corvette and AMG (from the first pack) at a friend's place a while back. They have much more grip than those same cars in R3E, AC, or iRacing. I have the GTE Corvette and it's more unstable than the GT3!

So something is wrong with the ones in rF2, or it's all the other sims that have a problem. Which do you think is more likely?

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I also compared GT3s in various games and the ones from DLC have generally better grip on soft tires and rubbered track. Especially with TC off they oversteer much less than in AC. On the other hand in AC cars have much less understeer then other titles. On mediums with less rubbered track difference is small. Didn’t try iRacing but rF2 vs R3E overall difference is small, understeer is similar.