My NEW RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by M D Gourley, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Louis

Louis Registered

I was just jealous I thought you'd realize that. lol
    It is a great gpu, congrats

Alex72 and M D Gourley like this.
  2. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

LOL...no need to be jealous...I have been saving for 6 years as I have had my old GTX 690 for that long with no Graphics card upgrade until now.:)

Louis likes this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Saw now that you run AF on x2. Why mate? Its one of those settings i ALWAYS managed to have on X16 without massive FPS drops - even though some people have said over the years that its a hog. For me it never was and it controls how clear textures are at an angle. Like the road surface with x2 must be very blurry looking at it ahead. I rather lower shadows and reflections to normal and have clear road textures. Medium shadows look good but shadows in general is super heavy in rF2. Definitely better after the updates from S397, but still one of the heavy GFX settings. Maybe AFx16 will be heavy in rF2 for the first time for me, lol. :D I'll keep you posted.

4. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Yes, you are correct, I missed that setting...here are some up to date settings and screenshots at time of this post on rF2 laser scanned SEBRING Full Layout / 11x GT3 Cars / Overcast and Rain
    I personally like having MAX shadows as my monitors have a very poor black point...I have also adjusted the nVidia 'GAMMA' settings to adjust the overall colour darkness to also compensate for my monitors overall poor image color density...this works very well for me personally, and effects all Sims when opened and played:D
    3 rF2 SETTINGS Update SEBRING Overcast & Rain GRID copy.jpg
    1 rF2 SETTINGS Update X16 AA.jpg 2 rF2 SETTINGS Update SEBRING Overcast & Rain.jpg
    4 nVidia COLOR SETTINGS GAMMA.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    mesfigas and Alex72 like this.
  5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I havent had time to test rF2 yet but i bought Kingdom Come Deliverance today (on sale) just to see that juicy graphics and see what the card can do. Running on very high on everything and smooth sailings. :) Tomorrow im gonna test rF2 and see if night and/or rain will work without dropping under 60FPS. Im hoping and crossing my fingers and toes, lol.

Im amazed at how cool this card is. I got the ASUS dual big fans and one solid heatsink going through the whole card. Tested a quick game "Path Of Exile" and on my 980GTX for example a place in the game always brought the heat up to about 60C and around 75% fan duty. This new 2070 was 38C(!) at 30% fan duty, LOL! Of course this card has dual massive fans and the 980 has one small fan. :) But im super happy so far. Just hope rf2 will run smooth tomorrow. Gonna test your settings. Cheers mate for putting all that up. ;)

M D Gourley likes this.
  6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

So far ive tested cloudy morning with cars having their lights on and the track had lights on. Sebring FULL version. Set all the first settings to FULL (cars, my car, track etc) and i set everything else to HIGH. AA=1 and PP=MEDIUM. Dont wanna push it with ULTRA just yet, but might go up on AA in the rF2 launcher. Anyway, throughout the whole thing - 60 solid FPS on triples. :)

Cant seem to embed images from imgur so i put link here. Cant read the MSI Afterburner numbers but its 60FPS: https://imgur.com/h9hP713

Time to test rain now... Wish me luck. :D

M D Gourley likes this.
  7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Test done with full storm. Upped AA to 3. 60FPS throughout on Sebring FULL with all S397 GT3 cars. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    M D Gourley and Emery like this.
  8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey Alex, nice to see you get a good performance with the 2070. May I ask, what resolution you are using?

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks. 5760x1080. Triple 24".

Flaux and M D Gourley like this.
  10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

That's great to hear, hope you are happy with the performance increase from your new 2070:)

Alex72 likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

For the price - it'd better be good! :D

M D Gourley likes this.
  12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

BTW how high does your 2070 core boost clock go to? I have read that this differs from card to card. On the package of mine it says that the core clock should boost from 1410mhz to 1740mhz but my card boosts to 1902mhz, lol. Im happy the box also says that these cards are tested 144 hours before sold.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX2070-O8G/

13. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

When I have MSI Afterburner open I see those numbers as well, but boost shows 1905mhz (see screenshot above)

14. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

RGB Malware Exploits
    Hey, just seen a Video from 'Gamers Nexus' on You Tube stating there is a bug in the 'Aura Sync' RGB Software as it comes with several vulnerabilities that can be leveraged by an attacker to gain higher permissions on the system and to execute arbitrary code.
    Two of the vulnerable drivers are installed by the Aura Sync software (v1.07.22 and earlier) from ASUS and the flaws they carry can be exploited for local code execution.
    Aura Sync is a utility that enables the user to synchronize the lighting via RGB strips used with compatible products such as motherboards, graphics cards, and peripherals (keyboards, mice) for a personalized gaming experience.

MAY BE SAFER NOT TO INSTALL 'AURA SYNC' FOR THE RGB LIGHTING

Link here if want to read...
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...n-code-execution-vulnerabilities-pocs-galore/

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cheers mate for the headsup. I dont use that though. I chose stuff that doesnt glow. Got no one to impress but myself. :D

M D Gourley likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I noticed 1950mhz now without OC'ing. I asked ASUS and they say these cards are like this. Totally normal.

M D Gourley likes this.
  17. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

With that performance...no need to overclock...wow:D

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Thanks for posting. Just last night I ordered this card in a new build with a i5 8600k because my old card 980 and 2500k just wasn't cutting it in vr especially with the new improved content 397 are putting out. Can't wait to test new rig in vr.

M D Gourley and Alex72 like this.
  19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

New AMD gpu's come soon
    price will be around 700 euros for a cars that compares to 2080 nvidia
    vega and rx series wasnt fast enough to support AAA titles with 1440 monitors at high fps
    very good news for ppl with freesynq monitors

M D Gourley likes this.
  20. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Congratulations on the new build, hope it all goes well....if you have time let me know how the Asus ROG Strix performs in VR as I only have Triple Screens, no VR:)