rFactor 2 works in linux via Steam Play

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by leillo1975, Aug 23, 2018.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks a lot for this information. I will try it later!

2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Just to let you know, at least for me the latest update still works well on Linux 64bit, with Proton 3.16-6 beta.

Please note: After verification of the game files (e.g. when you force the game to update), the d3dcompiler DLLs will be replaced with the default ones again. So to get the game starting with Linux 64bit you will need to replace the DLLs again with the ones provided by D3D4Linux!

3. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks for the information!!! I'm going to mark this thread on my bookmarks so I don't forget. It would be nice if the developers of rFactor 2 were to mark it as well, but I don't think all this is going to happen. As I said before it would be perfect if the developers help the Proton team to try to solve the Force Feedback issue. I honestly don't think it will take a lot of time, and a few more Linux fans might come. In case they read it .....
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/245

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You are sure that the FFB is really something S397 can help with? I would think it's something that has to be addressed within the WINE direct input libraries...at least this was what Feral Interactive has done with their conversions I believe.
    Anyway, a collaboration or at least some appreciation or notice by S397 would be great ;)

5. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Quick note: @Marcel Offermans was so kind to open an inofficial linux related channel on Discord :cool:

6. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Like already posted on Discord in the inofficial linux channel, I also like to confirm the latest build of the game is still running within Linux using Steam Play (System: Linux Mint 19.1, Proton 3.16-6 beta).
    I can also confirm that the new Livery Editor is showing up in the browser. Haven't tested if it works, but I believe it won't because custom skins cannot be read currently.

Akela_DE likes this.
  7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

and which wheels are supported ? TMs are not as i know. Would be nice to have a list of fully working wheels. In case i need a new one :)

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Cant' really tell because I never tried :D
    But G29 and other Logitech should work. Don't know if with or without FFB :(
    Anyway all wheels should work as a standard joystick, but that's probably not what you wanto_O

9. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

You can use DFGT, G27 and G29 with rFactor 2 on Linux. I've tested the three wheels and works (without F.Feedback). I suppose that G25 and G920 also works. Logitech wheels have Force Feedback support on Linux, but with rFactor2 with Wine/Proton don't work.
    Native games like GRID Autosport, DIRT Rally and F1 2017, works perfectly wit F.Feedback. Another Wine/Proton games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Live for Speed and Project Cars, also works.
    It is a pity that both rFactor 2 and Automobilista, although they work very well with Wine/Proton have no feedback on wheels.

10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Did a quick test run and rF is running with the latest Proton 3.16-8 Beta ;)

Also it looks like something was change so that the game related paths (like the settings directory) are now read correctly, so you can create the folders for custom skins and also custom skins do load. Only current problem is that switching the skin to an alt.dds lets the game crash to desktop. :(

EDIT: The crash happens only with the cars that use the updated shaders. For other cars the alt.dds is loaded without crashing.

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Another quick test run with latest Proton 4.2-2 and latest game build - game is still working fine ;)
    However, the glitches with the custom skins of cars having the latest shaders are still present.

12. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Same procedure as every update James; rF2 with latest update and FE '19 still working fine on Steam Play with Proton 4.2-2 :cool:

leillo1975 likes this.
  13. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Another GNU/Linux user here.
    SteamPlay is a cool solution but the performance is poor (for now), the best way I find for not have two partitions is this:
    KVM/QEMU + passthrough for the videocard.

And the impact on performance is minimal. :)

leillo1975 likes this.
  14. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

The problem is that you need to install a copy of Windows. I don't own a Windows license.... It's very interesting anyway. One question, have you tried it? Does Force Feedback work this way?

15. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

16. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

FF and all the peripherals work perfect since you do a bypass to the VM, also, you can do a bypass for the graphics card, HD, etc etc.
    I don't try (for now) but this is a enterprise solution, all the work I do always finish in a VM. (software engineer/codemonkey+pizza+coffe+mate here :D)

17. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks a lot for all your information. It's good to know it. unfortunately it is still necessary to own and install Windows

18. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

You can try this:
    https://reactos.org

For some older applications works well, I don't now with modern games that use DX11, if you have the time for experiment, try it.

leillo1975 likes this.
  19. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

a new force feedback driver finally fixed my ffb issue with my g27 under linux.

Arch Linux
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/new-lg4ff-dkms-git/

Other distros: search for "new-lg4ff".

Good luck.

Issues remaining:
    1) very low fps on my gtx1080 2560*1660*165hz 30-55FPS not even half of that what i am getting in windows.
    2) heat-haze texture behind cars, annoying but not a showstopper.

finally, some optimizations left and Photoshop CC is the last remaining peace of software that holds me from uninstalling windows forever.

leillo1975 likes this.