Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Graphic setting guide is in this thread, lots of reading (88 pages) I suggest start low and work your way up until you start to lose smoothness. Also there is a difference between the sebring track selections one has HEAPS of stuff inside and around the track while the other is lighter on crowds and eye candy if you go to the Sebring thread https://forum.studio-397.com/index....nternational-raceway.60767/page-4#post-954348 its covered in there.

2. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Thanks

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks for the update. What FOV are you using atm in Pimax? How many Vive bases?

4. Michael Jeffries

Normal FOV but dont count it as what’s normal. I havent tweaked the graphic settings. I dont use rfactor2 much. In iRacing i get 90fps on every track, so in sure theres alot of tweaking i can do to get it to 90fps

5. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I've noticed iRacing to be less demanding in VR compared to RF2. I have i7 7700k, 16GB RAM & 1080ti using Rift CV1. I find turning shadows off in RF2 helps a lot to get the frames you need. I also have it to only show 10 cars on track. Even then depending on Car/Track combo you may not hit 90fps all the time.

So far I find the official Endurance Pack particularly taxing on the system.

proff chaos and The Iron Wolf like this.
  6. Michael Jeffries

Ive never really gotten into rFactor2 much, but I'm trying to now. Sebring felt AMAZING compared to iRacing's version. I was thoroughly impressed by it, but I gotta figure this out and get 90fps, because otherwise once I go into MP races, it'll only get worse probably.

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Performances are better online than offline with IA for me. (IA are managed by the CPU)

8. Michael Jeffries

Sorry to sound like a noob, but what's IA?

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Sorry, AI (in English, Artificial Intelligence) (IA in French) the cars controlled by the computer when you race against opponents.

10. Michael Jeffries

Ahhh Understood. Thanks

11. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

I think of it in the following way: The first time I bought a very large LED TV, I liked it a lot and that feeling lasted me, maybe 2 or 3 months. The same thing has happened to me with other similar purchases (monitors, steering wheels, pedals, etc). I bought my first vr headset exactly 1 year ago and I still do not leave my astonishment ... There is nothing that compares to it, in my opinion. Simply, buy it. You will not regret.

12. Michael Jeffries

I agree. In the last year+, I've spent thousands upgrading my rig to an 80/20, Accuforce, HPP PRX pedals, etc., and I've upgraded from Oculus Rift, to Vive Pro, then GearVR Modded my Vive Pro, and now I'm with the Pimax 5k+... I have a 49" on my SimLab P1 rig, and I will never use it UNLESS I have to like for Wreckfest, and just in general to have a monitor in front of my face.

VR sim racing is another level. You can't compare the immersion of being inside the vehicle, and following the apex's. etc.

13. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@Alex72
    I also agree with the last couple of posts. The loss of graphic quality shock at first is soon forgotten once you get out on track.
    The only down side to VR is you wont want to drive Automobilista anymore (No VR)
    All other sims have the VR option.

I also plan on upgrading from Oculus when a really good option becomes available but for now Oculus is plenty good enough for me.
    XTAL VR is the one I'm waiting for they plan to release a cheaper version of their headset but it will still be expensive.
    VR is worth the money and the future of gaming in my opinion.

Alex72 likes this.
  14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Just do it @Alex72 I couldn't go back to racing on a monitor now that I've used VR. As noted in the posts above, of all the things I've bought ($$$) for my sim rig, the VR headset was the best bang for $$ for immersion by far.:cool:

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks guys. Im firing up rF2 tomorrow with my new video card. With the 980GTX night or rain was a no go and would drop under 60FPS. Im a little bit scared of VR and the need for 90FPS. Maybe the new graphics card can handle it. And maybe VR is actually less demanding than 3x1080 triple screens? One other thing that turned me off a little bit from VR was the FOV. I thought when i heard about VR that it would have 180 degree real life FOV. That your eyes were completely covered from top, bottom and side to side - completely inside the game world. Watching videos the FOV is rather small compared to triple screen. I can see out through both doors (left and right) on triples. With VR it looks sort of like a single 1080 screen + a little bit more. Since you can move and look around im sure the claustrophobic feeling you get from a single screen goes away. :D

I will think about it and look at some models/prices. Cheers.

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

It's like being in the car, you can turn your head and see your back wheels.....Oh wait.....no you can't, the back wheels aren't rendered lol.....:p:p:p No seriously, it is like being in the car :) and the FOV is wider than what is mirrored on the screen.

Alex72, bwana and EsxPaul like this.
  17. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

@Michael Jeffries also turn off rain, even when it's not raining having rain set to on has an impact on fps.

You will still get rain just not rain drops on the window.

proff chaos and sherpa25 like this.
  18. bwana

bwana Registered

Ran my new new rift last night for the first time, first
    Impression was l won’t get flys in my googles , second was gee where is the beautiful resolution gone (flatscreen) .. then l looked around the car Wow .! The detail !, then left the pits , flabbergasted, simply bloody awesome . That was midnight so shut it down went to bed still in awe. Today gave it a serious test , tweaked a few things ,hit Longford in the cobra and was in another world, lap times slow as l couldn’t stop looking everywhere but the race line. The fly screen l simply don’t see anymore after 3 hrs of use and res is slowly becoming less relevant.. Then it all clicked in two laps my lap times raced up to pole as l actually drove the car ,it’s just that ,you ARE driving the car , incredible coming from a sceptic a few months .... sold sold sold love it

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Jeferson Richart, MarcG, Eddy and 9 others like this.
  19. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

@bwana great car and track combo , drove it like you stole it Is my advice , and you will even find useing buttons on wheel / button box / or what ever you use not much of a issue.
    Congrats on your early Christmas Gift :) .

proff chaos and bwana like this.
  20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Awesome. Well, im gonna start looking around and see whats out there. Soon enough i will be yet another one of those annoying "NO VR NO BUY" guys.

:D

Narrowbackwing, Louis, bwana and 3 others like this.