Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks for the suggestion...

...but I thought the point of this Iron Wolf's work was to avoid the need for Home and SteamVR….

The sim *does* work if both are running - but the headset is black otherwise. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

2. lagg

lagg Registered

The dll doesn't avoid the need of the Home.

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

@elbo @MileSeven what editor do you use to open opencomposite.ini file? I just downloaded both v1 zips and .ini file opens correctly in both notepad and notepad++. Yes, the file might have Unix line endings because git tool modifies them, but I am puzzled why I am not seeing this issue?

4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You can avoid home by using Oculus Small: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/fixed_old_oculus_home_runtime_w_instructions/

You could also write a script and pass it via postInitCmd to kill dash/home after game starts.

The point of OC/WOC is to bypass Steam VR and translate Open VR calls into Oculus API calls, which results smoother framerate, depending on system.

5. elbo

elbo Registered

I used notepad (win10)...don't know why it shows up that way.

6. elbo

elbo Registered

I get the same thing.
    In order for it to work on my system I have to open RF2 first (with oculus home not running), launch RF2 (either multiplayer or single), this causes Oculus home to start up and it works.
    When I finish playing if I want to start another game I have to completely shut down RF2 (launcher) and oculus home and relaunch RF2.
    Dont have the HMD on your head when you do this because it will cause oculus home to launch before RF2 and you will have the same problem...
    It is as if Oculus home does not recognize that RF2 has started and it does not pass it onto the HMD...

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

ah I know why, this is fixed in newer windows 10 build :) Notepad now understands Unix line endings.

Jego likes this.
  8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ok, thanks Iron Wolf - that clarifies it.

And yes, I used Notepad in Win10.

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

OK - I think I owe a quick update.

Firstly, I'm running a 2080Ti with a 3.5GHz i4770k running at a max of 4.0GHz and 16GB RAM running at 1.6GHz. 2080Ti (Gigabyte OC Gaming edition using the Micron memory - I had to send the first Samsung memory version back as it failed) is hitting a peak of 2.025GHz and 15GHz memory.

I'm running the latest current OpenComposite DLL (1.0.0.0 AVX2) and the 'workaround' Oculus files (so no need to fire up Home).

We're currently racing at the Virtua LM Sebring track - which is pretty nasty for framerate compared to an official track.

The threePartSubmit flag seems to make a big difference for me in terms of smoothness. With it set to the default of TRUE, the track is stuttering slightly in many places with my game settings.

Setting it to False seems to improve matters noticeably... Other than the SuperSampling (which I'm running at 1.9 - although that didn't seem to make much difference to 2.0), I've left the other OpenComposite.ini flags at default.

I still feel as if there should be plenty more performance to come from my 2080Ti - the Gigabyte performance logging shows that I'm peaking at mid 60's percentages for GPU power consumption, low 50's deg C GPU temp, and GPU usage in the mid-40's. I haven't yet managed to unlock this perceived performance without impacting the framerates, however...

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

what I know from performance tests (already years ago) is that Virtua LM Sebring track is very CPU heavy. Maybe you should do your performance tests with official S397 Sebring.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'd advise it's always important to do Performance Tests with Official Content only, that way if there is an issue with something S397 can try and replicate it and confirm. With 3rd Party Content there's more chance of errors as you don't know if the Modder did something "wrong" (so to speak) which would affect Performance.

Ernie and vittorio like this.
  12. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

I'm the same with a 2080 and i7 7700k basically both are sleeping, 40% utilisation. Same in iRacing.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I was without a gpu after selling my 1080ti
    Then no availability of the 2080ti

I picked up an old 980ti cheap off eBay
    It’s fine , just turn off shadows on everything & all runs good

Not even going to bother upgrading
    The VR experience is so good shadows or no shadows

The 20 series is way over priced

980ti (6gb) £190 about right

14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@The Iron Wolf I had an Oculus update last night and another major update this afternoon and a firmware update and now can't seem to get rF2 to work (am using the open composite you posted) and I get an error saying Failed to Initialize libOVR 3023. In your opinion would this be due to the openvr_api.dll not compatible with latest Oculus software?
    I was a bit taken aback as the second update gave me back what appears to be the old home screen, see pic. Oculus.JPG

Did anyone else have this happen?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  15. txinas

txinas Registered

Its in spanish. If you use google traductor you do it easily.

Buenas chicos
    Traigo buenas noticias jejejejeje, es algo que llevo usando casi desde el principio del campeonato.... nada mas que el Home de Oculus antiguo
    Dejo un mini tutorial de como instalar el Home antiguo y al mismo tiempo quedarse con los 2 ( el antiguo y el 2.0)

Vamos a necesitar 2 cosas, el Home antiguo (Old Home) y el OTT (oculus tray tool)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KsJ6LYk8xNBLgks-McGo6zCq0jpM6Ls-(Old Home)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...pling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully (oculus tray tool)

Creamos una carpeta donde tengamos instalado el programa de oculus (C:\Program Files\Oculus) con el nombre Oculus 1.0 (o el que queráis es solo para saber que home esta en cada carpeta)
    [​IMG]

Bajamos y instalamos el OTT (oculus tray tool)
    Una vez instalado el OTT tenemos queparar los servicios de Oculus con el OTT
    [​IMG]

Volvemos donde habíamos creado la carpeta Oculus 1.0 (C:\Program Files). Ahora a la carpeta Oculus le damos el nombre de Oculus 2.0 y la carpeta Oculus 1.0 le damos el nombre de Oculus
    [​IMG]

Activamos los servicios de Oculus en el programa OTT
    [​IMG]

Con esto ya tenemos el Home antiguo, es importante saber que este home no sepuede abrir ya que fue "dañado" de manera intencionada para que no sepueda actualizar

Si por algún motivo queréis volver alHome 2.0 es hacer lo mismo pero cambiando los nombres de las carpetas, la carpeta Oculus pasa a ser Oculus 1.0 y la Oculus 2.0 pasa a ser Oculus (siempreparando los servicios de oculus paracambiar los nombres de las carpetas)

Aquí tenéis la información original
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/fixed_old_oculus_home_runtime_w_instructions/

JimmyT likes this.
  16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks, I'm not trying to run version 1, it just had a stuff-up while it was downloading some huge update and now I can't run my Oculus at all. I get an error at (I can't believe this) the END of a 5G download saying Oculus can't install please restart your computer :mad:. (I have VERY slow internet and it takes about 5 hours for the DL:mad::(). It was working fine the day before yesterday but now it's dead. I'm trying to get some help from Oculus support on this but no luck so far :(. Will keep you posted.

17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Last week I had problems installing that went away when I cleaned up c: It says it needs "x" GB of space (I forget how much) but even though there was a lot more space available than that it still wouldn't install.

But... though Oculus is now working I still can't install the demo for Wrench so something still isn't right.

Best of luck, a 5 hour DL with no result at the end would see my monitor flying through the window!

JimmyT likes this.
  18. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yeah, was pretty close to that after the third attempt :oops:. Followed some tips on the oculus forum from a guy who had the same issue in March this year. Deleted a few hidden files in the user\app data folder and all of the software in the oculus folder (about 43g). I installed Oculus home software again (5g, glad I have unlimited data) and then had to flash the firmware again, I think that's fixed it. :rolleyes:

PS thanks for listening to me bitch about it.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  19. Bart S

Bart S Member

If both are sleeping you should turn your graphics up till you get over 90% GPU usage reported in afterburner

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  20. bwana

bwana Registered

Placed an order this morning with Santa (Zuckerberg) for a Rift but reading some of these recent comments has me a bit concerned with the latest update issues:/ ... Do they repair broken updates quickly ? Bit daunting for me as much in this comprehensive thread is way over my head...

proff chaos and GrimDad like this.