[REL] Next Gen Mod Team - BTCC NGTC Touring

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by WSVR, Sep 25, 2014.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Jimmy, I'll download this fantastic mod tomorrow and update the Crew Chief mapping for BTCC, just been really busy recently. For now, you could use "force single class". Although, message suggests mod uses different class strings for cars, and that is not the best way to do it.

Edit: unfortunately, class names currently in use are too ambiguous to include them in inbox CC mappings:
    19:23:25.050 : Multi-Class event:
    19:23:25.052 : "Mercedes A45" (unmapped)
    19:23:25.053 : "Vauxhall Astra" (unmapped)
    19:23:25.055 : "Subaru Levorg" (unmapped)
    19:23:25.057 : "MG6 GT" (unmapped)

May I suggest something like BTCC_NGTC or BTCC_NGTC_2017, which will be more unique and represent class string better. See this post on how to do that:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/f1-1996-mod-by-slide.59028/page-4#post-956738

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    JimmyT likes this.
  2. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

If you do it by year then you'd have to do 5 different rcd files and add them all in. We'll debate it, people want by year, others by car make, and others want what we currently have. Easiest is by car make, one file per car in each rfcmp. If we make it by year, got to do each year in each car, so with 5 models and with vehicles going from 2014 to 2018 means we'd have 5 talent files.

Something we'll look into, as stated before.

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I agree with you it is ambiguous situation. Are all the cars from different years BOP matched? If so, just BTCC_NGTC is enough. This change does not require .rcd files, you could override class string in upgrade.ini (Like Enduracers do). This won't even change car selection categories, all that will change is they will all have same vehicle class string. I am not suggesting selection change, that's a different issue. My suggestion is to help tools like Crew Chief treat those cars as a single or a few classes, instead of each make having it's own class. If someone wants select just certain year, there's tedious but working way - .rfmod.

BTW, side question: I noticed message in launcher console, saying BTCC NGTC references non existing mod (older NGTC cars). Which raises question - are new and old cars BOP matched, can they race in same event, or old cars are not supported, period?

4. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Ah okay, so in the upgrades I can label them by car model/year, and then leave all the VEH running BTCC_NGTC? If I'm right in understanding what you mean, then yes I'd agree with you and that is a smart move. Completely understand, it is tedious and we're working to make it easier but simple.

The previous cars will be re-released, but we will not be releasing them under the NGMT steam. They will be updated for rain/damage and new CPM physics. 1.3 was the latest for the BMW, Toyota, Cruze, Ford ST but they will not be the same physics as the new 0.9 ones (Subaru, Mercedes, Astra, MG and soon-to-be Ford RS). They will be balanced to match the others, like the current four 0.9 (Y)

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Andy, let's make sure we're really on a same page here.

If I read Mad_King correctly, you don't need to adjust .veh files to force class string: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/aussie-legends.57700/page-7#post-927909 If I understand correctly, you set DisplayClassOverride="BTCC_NGTC" (or BTCC_YEAR if you'd like to separate them) in upgrade.ini.

By vehicle class string I mean mVehicleClass from game internals. Visually, that string can be seen in Garage timing board, under Class column. The reason something like Subaru Levorg is not a good class string is because it is not unique enough, and we can't safely treat "Subaru Levorg" as BTCC car class in Crew Chief. In a long run, some random mod might use same string for class and it will create conflict. Also, it is my personal opinion, that class string should represent what it says - vehicle class, within which all cars are competitive, and not make or team name.

To adjust AI selection in Session setup, I believe .veh file changes will be needed. Imho, it would be nice to be able to select cars by championship year: BTCC 2016 etc. Hope this clarifies things. Thanks for looking into this.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. Alcolo

Alcolo Registered

i think there is something really strange with FWD FFB since the clio from S397 and LSD or not it's like broken. Raceroom is not the same level, but the new WTCR DLC is amazing for FWD.

fab06 likes this.
  7. SmashingPants67

SmashingPants67 Registered

I noted that the car has a too short top speed of 226 km/h (won't go into 227) so my suggestion is to add an upgrade class and force the AI to use the Thruxton gearbox but not the tyres (just to make racing harder), like this:
    Code:
    UpgradeClass="BTCC_Faster"
    {
      AIList
      {
        Gear Settings=1

}   
    }
    Obviously it will be used in tracks outside BTCC calendar, with the only UK tracks being Thruxton (with hard tires only as well) and Silverstone (hard tires too? Since Silverstone is a fast track).
    It uses the Thruxton ratios with the standard medium tires (as I said in Thruxton it will use hard or wet tires)
    NOTE: I don't know if BTCC had races on Silverstone on last years. #GoTaylorSmith

8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

@StrawmanAndy
    Any news on the release of the Ford RS and a possible grouping by year?

PirroC likes this.
  9. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Working on 1.0 release for all five. Some new updates on all, while RS being the first time released.

Grouping by year still a continued convo we have now and then. Some have voiced they prefer by car make, some by year, some say it should just be BTCC. Something we need to debate and see. We can see the argument for year, but why should 2018 be a different class to 2014? Same cars and same pace. Hope this answers your questions

The Iron Wolf and JimmyT like this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm not a fan of classing by car make because that clutters the list of classes when you have a lot of mods installed. Using BTCC would be desireable, but suppose there's an '89 BTCC mod that also wants to just go by BTCC? So... seems that year is desireable or at least some way to tell different BTCC mods from each other even though year would also add clutter to the list of classes.

Now if you're trying to simulate a specific year (for the skins) or want a race of a specific make/model (because you're a fan of that model?), then the best route forward might be to have instructions for how to create a vMOD? Or include the different vMODs (aka Race Events)?

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  11. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

1) Was a model never signed off. We'll decide what to do with.
    2) Never got anywhere, and Simtek has quit modding. We asked, he agreed but was focusing on other projects before BTCC. Since then, we have collected a team and started the project without Simtek.
    3) Nothing yet. We still have British F4 and Ginetta G40 models to finish.
    4) Yes.

Anymore questions?

Mangoletsi likes this.
  12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Great news. I'm glad the RS will be coming with the next release!!

BTCC is a series that is run every year and includes a mix of cars, so the best way to replicate this in game is grouping by year.

To run a single race or offline championship with all cars, we could choose year 2018 as an example and have a mix of all cars with the correct and consistent driver names and talent throughout races.
    If it's grouped by car, we'd have to choose all cars in the opponents filter and end up having for example 3 Adam Suttons, so the game ends up giving random driver names to the duplicates which could end up not being consistent between races and I could almost ensure talent won't work with mixed opponents because of this.

There are other ways to achieve what I'm looking for (like adding AI manually or creating virtual drivers) but the most straight forward way is by year grouping, and I think it's more likely other people will want to race all cars together like me to replicate a season of the series instead of single make races.

Anyways, happy about the RS coming!!
    Cheers

13. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Valid argument, and I think it's the most sensible option to go by year. Will update over the weekend, but we're in the stages of testing physics so hoping - if everyone goes to plan - we can release soon.

Also worth noting, if you haven't followed us on Facebook then give us a like @ https://www.facebook.com/nextgenmodteam/ to see the latest updates and potential releases :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    MarcG, fsuarez79, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  14. tpw

tpw Registered

I just downloaded and spent a few hours with this sublime mod throwing these ace cars around various tight tracks, and am kicking my own arse for not downloading it months ago. Looks, sound, handling and FFB are right up there with the best official S397 content in my opinion. The Subaru in particular is an absolute gem, fills a real hole in rF2 for a lower powered modern RWD car with some actual mechanical grip.

Congrats to everyone involved for bringing such an outstanding set of cars to rF2.

15. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

Wow since when is the british f4 in the works? Must have missed that? is it going to be a public mod?

16. Hocician

Hocician Registered

exactly the same for me... mega mod and the subaru is *love*

17. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Had it for a few months but the focus has been on finishing the BTCC first. Yes, British F4 will be public as well :)

18. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

19. ´goggo1peter

´goggo1peter Registered

Thx a lot superb mod

20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Thank you very much for your update! Can't get enough touring cars! :D

Some request/suggestion (or let's call them my wishes for the next update):
    Inside window materials should have a different alpha sorting number than the outside window materials to avoid strange clipping. I found this on the Focus (all inside windows) and the MG (front window), you can see it in the showroom.
    Window material shaders or texture setup on all car's looks slightly different. But maybe it's only the Merc window material and some of the headlight glasses that have individual/different setups. Would be awesome if these could be aligned ;)
    The Merc grill looks a bit too thick, maybe this could be thinned to look more like the original one. Also applying a texture from a photo may increase the realistic look.
    In the showroom/spinner the steering wheel from the Merc is placed on the floor (at 0,0,0 I guess). Would be cool if the wheel could be placed in the car (maybe sticked to the steering column or placed laying on the dashboard?).

StrawmanAndy likes this.