[REL] F1 LEGENDS RACING 2.0 [Released]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Pauli Partanen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. BorekS

BorekS Registered

well, I didnt played the latest AC release (seems its 2.1b), so I cant say hows the actual visual stage :) if the purely DrDoomslabs scratch made permission correct stuff is there or not. if not yet then just later ;)

also, I think they said something about contact the GPLEA team member and that they got green or something like that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. BorekS

BorekS Registered

if you mean the Bazzas mod is some F1LR opponent stuff, then I am ice cold, no rivality :)
    however, if you still wish to play the wip at least, try contact Mauro.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm confident DrDoomslab isn't making the models from scratch. He's sourcing the models from somewhere else, maybe legitimately or maybe not. Any modder building from scratch for a racing game wouldn't design the Brabham to have 286k polygons and not provide LODs.

Compare that to the BRM which has 159k polygons, a little low for proper AC cars and, again, no LODs. His Lotus 33 is the Kunos Lotus 25 with the wheels replaced which is why it has LODs... he didn't even bother to change the LODs to the same wide tires. The Matra is most definitely from rF2's Eve as it only has 55k polygons.

Knowing that Bazza and DrDoomslab crank out around 5 mods per month plus the massive packs that are obvious conversions (GT Legends, etc.) without LODs, I just don't believe there is any scratchbuilding going on. Lots of mix & matching via 3dSimEd is the extent of their scratchbuilding.

IMHO Bazza's physics are usually reasonable attempts, but they're never great. Is the mod fun to drive? Yes. Is it good simulation? I have doubts.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. BorekS

BorekS Registered

I see... to be honest I dodnt monitoring somehow deeply the "home" of the Bazzas mod, I mean his F1 1967 related thread at F1C site. Ive just noticed some time ago there appears some new 3d model work screenshots, so I took a look... it would be a big letdown to me, if the vehicles would came frome some 3d model library, yet hard to believe such models would be available fro free download.

well, can be DrDoomslab is just experienced 3d modeler, but he is not game designer at all. that would answer the polygonal stage. it is not hard to make any eyecandy highpolygonal 3d model infact. yet a lot harder is to make such model to look believable, still polygonal and texture logic optimalised for games. depends on the current game engine.
    for me are the true artists the modders of our dated sims like GPLEA team and his GPL Papyrus game overhaul, or a few people from later sim mod scene, who made addons for sims like F1C, GTR, GTL or rF.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I IMMEDIATELY recognized the rF2 Matra MS7, rims and tyres as well.

6. BorekS

BorekS Registered

yes, but from where is the rest of car models?

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

FM7? Brabham, Eagle and Honda at least could be possible... But then they should have LODs :D

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I know what is the usual source of models and assets when models are baked so quickly. The source is called "got it from a friend".

The worst part is realising how many people are falling for that, seems like the only simulation which they need is having something that looks somewhat similar, and whole simulation is done.

I could actually ignore ripped models if the credit was made, it wouldn't be elevated like a legit mod, and it would have legit truly honest physics. However, to get the model seems like it is all that matter for so many...

To make it worse there are many fairly popular youtubers who has little notion what they are talking about and what they are spreading, or maybe they just doesn't care.

This carnival is harming the real thing.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

10. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

11. Legend

Legend Registered

very sad news :(

@Postipate
    @Mauro
    please share beta version to public it seems quite good from screens and videos!!!

Josefmd and Hazi like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have drove the 312/67 mod. I think it is great, but physics are a bit lacking. To be more precise, I think that tires lacks a lot of lateral force.

I hope Postipae hasn't lost his touch with modding and continue on. It might not be popular to say, but some conversions which he has released aren't developed enough, as for example 1979 F1 mod which was my personal #1 mod in rF1. This being said, I appreciate his work a lot, but sometimes less is more. Or more is more is true too :D I mean it is too much of content for one guy to do well, thats ton of cars.

13. Jyyka Pihtari

Jyyka Pihtari Registered

Bazza's physics have always been trash, especially suspension geometry.

14. Corti

Corti Registered

15. Josefmd

Josefmd Registered

Bummer!! I was patiently waiting for this mod.... It would have kicked ass in VR....:(

16. BorekS

BorekS Registered

ok guys,
    ok, just bought and installed rF2 now, drove the default F3 EVE at Monaco 1966 on my weak PC... it runs relatively smoothly on my ancient rig. I am excited!!!

as the Bazzas GPL mod for AC turned out its a rip of various commercial game sources, the F1 Legends Racing is the only permission correct F1 1967 full car list themed racesim add-on, so Ive installed the unfinished rF2 F1LR2 wip, started by Postipate. its cancelled project, but I wanted to know myself, how it actually looks.

it looks nice, still it would need to fix the mesh materials at least. to see all the shiny vehicle body is bit out of what is acceptable and in a rain racing is it unacceptable totally. same problem are the virtual cockpit sides. also the doubled windshields looks strange. finally, the showroom vehicle would need to disabe the driver character sitting inside.

I have a full experience with many older sim modding, still the logic of creating rFactor 2 mods is a pure zero knowledge to me sofar. the rF2 file logic looks similar to rF1, but I even dont know how to extract the Workshop rfcmp files back to the common mod structure. however the issues of the rF2 F1LR2 wip I mentioned could somebody else fix easy, I suppose.

would you know about somebody, any volunteers? :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  17. heisenberg70

heisenberg70 Registered

Is there any chance, that this mod grows up?
    I would love it :)
    GPL 3.0!

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

If you want to, you can do it yourself. If you KNOW rF1, GTR2, etc. structure, there is no excuse not to do it, if you have the passion. The tyres and chassis files are made for you, those are the hardest by a long way to do from scratch. If getting the rfcmp/mas files into devmode is the only barrier keeping you or anyone else from working on it, I'll happily get that sorted for you/whoever.

19. BorekS

BorekS Registered

hi Bjørn,
    I think we met at some F1C site thread a few times actually, supposing by your nickname and avatar... if not, my experince is a full modding - creating add-on cars from scratch - for GT Legends, GTR 2, R07, rFactor and latestly Automobilista. having also a small touch of getting cars into Assetto Corsa, but I wouldnt count this as any deeper experience at all :)
    however, I always was dependent on somebody else relating to the car physics and soundset part. we was two person team with deep-strike, but unfortunatelly he passed away on january 2019.

as to rFactor 2, Ive bought it three or four days back and spent cca 45 mins with that game only.

as to the F1LR2 unfinished conversion into rFactor 2, made by Postipate, I dont know how the stuff is assempled relating to the physics and sounds, but I am fine with that solution. by my guess the firts bugfix needs to unpack the vehicle .mas files and load the mesh objects (still are they.gmt files?) into 3DSimEd and apply different shaders. all cars I did use videly the specular maps, to keep dark areas matt (see various intakes, holes etc.). such feature I believe is available in rF2 material library too.

I will send to you the rF2 F1LR 2 wip download link, thank you for interest ;)

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

@BorekS

Yeah, I know who you are and what you're capable of :)

I don't have the passion for the these classic F1 cars, I'm afraid. I can't provide the effort to finish it...
    What I am trying to say is that you should do it yourself, you can do it easily if you want to. Everything works as with rF1 and all the rest. It's still GMTs, the shaders work the same as always, speculars work the same...

Even moddev works the same as the old rF1-titles structure-wise... No packaging etc. Veh files points to gen files and these gen files have searchpaths, just like always.