[WIP] Jaguar XJ13 1967

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mantasisg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Latest update: https://www.mediafire.com/file/p1vdwakf794qss0/jaguar_XJ13_0.3.rfcmp/file
    [​IMG]

This is Jaguar XJ13. This car never raced, but it would have raced in Le Mans in 1967. XJ13 belongs to the same gang of C-type, D-type and E-type which all were winning and great cars.

The car originally was developed for AC. The project was started by me as I made attempts in 3D modelling and results were showing up, soon Jason Coates aka Aphidgod joined and did a lot of work on physics. It was hardest to find sound guy, but we were lucky to have iRider to make them. Later project was also joined by NightEye, he made a lot of great skins, unfortunatelly I had to alter some 3D model shapes and broke the skins.

I have always wondered if anyone would like to convert it for rF2. At the moment I only scratched the surface of bringing it here, I would appreciate a lot if anyone would like to join the project or just simply help a little. Anything goes as long as you are easy to communicate and can be helpful. So if you work on sounds, if you work on physics, if you work with animations and could help/explain some bits about modeling for rF2, getting it functional in game I would appreciate your help a lot, if you wish maybe we could team up.

Right now I am a little bit intimidated, by .gen file, as gJed doesn't seem to support it yet, I am a bit too fresh to work on it manually yet. Though model probably needs some tweaking and altering before getting in game.

This realyl means little, but here is the very early scene in gjed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I am starting to face more difficulties with Goodwood project I have decided to make a start for my other projects as well so I wouldn't spend my time knocking my head to the wall, and hopefuly in the meantime "unlock" skills and knowledge without having too much unproductive time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

This is where 3dSimEd comes in handy because you can open the entire kn5 file and export it as an rF2 object and then export the textures in about the same amount of time as it took me to write this sentence.

Of course, then the work starts... but it should go quickly. Pivot points and material properties are the main things. Even though these videos are about rF1 to rF2 conversion, they're a very helpful guide as to the process: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRNi1LjESZGhOgPNBvIsXug/videos

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I understand the intimidation, it's a learning curve for sure, but thankfully there are plenty of helpful people around here...
    I can't do much myself, but I can in-game stuff relatively easily, still... I can't do animations, I can't do wipers - yet, as it appears so that you need 3DS MAX and of course to understand it.

It sounds so simple and kind of like brushing one of with this kind of answer and tip but; open up another mod/mas file and check out how said mod's .gen and cockpitinfo files are constructed and then there's of course all the physics files, .hdv, suspension, chassisfiles .tbc and tgm's... You would probably be able to use the tire-files from existing sports cars of this year, for example the Howston G4/G6 which is a 'fictional' rendition of the Lola T70. If you can find a sound-modder then you're pretty much home-free :) Because you have the really specialized, hard stuff covered in the shape of sound and tires.

Feel free to PM if you think I can answer any specific questions.

The videos Emery posted above are made by @StrawmanAndy, who might be able to help answer questions as well.

Alex72, Emery, Mauro and 3 others like this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes ! After numerous crashes I have launched it for the first time to DevMode. However, I don't really got it there at all :D Because it is nothing like my model, not a single bit, I also don't see any materials from my model in mat's properties tab. So looks like none of my model got loaded. And it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Maybe someone would know whats not right ? Could I have something in .gen file totally wrong ? Or maybe something wrong in .veh file in "teams" folder ? I look at this log, but I can't find the issue, I include the log file to this post.

Attached Files:

GeraArg likes this.
  5. Corti

Corti Registered

mantasisg and pkelly like this.
  6. Bozak

Bozak Registered

At the top of gen and spinner file you should write the mas file name that has all gmt, dds, tga files.
    I assume is Jaguar_XJ13.mas

SearchPath=Jaguar XJ13
    SearchPath=<VEHDIR>
    SearchPath=<TEAMDIR>..\
    MASFile=Jaguar_XJ13.mas

mantasisg likes this.
  7. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

My guess would be these lines:

9.17s pitcrew.cpp 341: CUBE error loading animation file HOLDLEFT.ANM: Error locating animation file HOLDLEFT.ANM
    9.17s pitcrew.cpp 341: CUBE error loading animation file HOLDRIGHT.ANM: Error locating animation file HOLDRIGHT.ANM

I would try commenting out or deleting the driver lines in the .gen, and see if that works.

mantasisg likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes I actually had mistake in one line, it was pointing to skipbarber folder for .mas, I changed it to point to my XJ13 folder for XJ13.mas. But it did nothing, except that now I get an error message which tells "Error loading mesh file BODY to memory". I don't really know where to look for that mesh file, as I don't have a mesh file that would be named simply "BODY". Maybe it would be useful if I'll upload my current .gen file.

I had to upload it as .txt file. Note that there are a lot of objects, there will be much less later, I will be able to join a lot of them toghether.

Thanks, I should look at it, though I have already deleted those lines from gen file. Has to be something a bit different.

Attached Files:

• XJ13.txt
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Bozak

Bozak Registered

Move the XJ13.mas to the same folder as gen, hdv, etc. and remove to point to XJ13 folder from gen and spinner.
    Rename body bottom.gmt to body_bottom.gmt
    In DevMode you see the yellow car when it can not find all the gmt, dds or mas corresponding to the files.

mantasisg, pkelly and Corti like this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Big thanks, it seems that underscores were necessary everywhere !

So I got launched it to the game, but just for a moment, couldn't even check how it looks, because it just fallen through the ground or something like that, also DEVMODE crashed hard, I had to restart PC, really hate to do it. I wonder would it be much to ask for some suggestions what could be wrong there, I really don't want to do 100 PC restarts in order to get this one thing right.

There are like thousand lines- NetworkDisqualify() for driver "Mantasisg " in trace file, but I suppose thats just simply because my car has fallen through the ground or jumped into a sky, I have no idea what exactly happened.

11. Bozak

Bozak Registered

Go to hdv file at the line GraphicalOffset=(0,0,0) and change the middle number to positive to raise all gmts e.g. (0,+0.8,0)
    I think that number raise the car 80cm

In 3dSimed the bottom of the mainbody has to be parallel with the green axis to have the car at the right height. Yours is much lower hence the crash.

Also at the end of LFTIRE, LRTIRE, RFTIRE, RRTIRE Instance put the brakedisc_xx.gmt
    At the Instance=LFSPINDLE put the brakecaliper_xx.gmt

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    mantasisg likes this.
  12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

When does the falling through happen? Do you click the "RACE" button? or is it straight after loading the track etc?
    This is probably because physics are not in check...

It can anything from a funky chassis file to a missing tgm file...

If it happens when clicking the "RACE" button - as in getting in the car to drive it - you can try getting the AI to drive the car... Meaning instead of YOU trying to drive it, avoid clicking the "RACE" button, but add AI's and view the car - making sure it loads in properly, graphically. You let the track load and you sit in the "garage", then you add in an AI, click on it then the camera switches to that, then hit page up to engage the swingman cam and turn around the cam with the numpad 2,4,6,8 and zoom it in/out with 7 and 9... If it loads in fine, then the gen-file is good - so far.

If it does it without clicking the "RACE" button it's something I've not experienced myself...

If IT IS upon clicking the "RACE" button my guess would be missing tgm file or a wonky/missing chassis file. If you need tgm or chassis file, I once again suggest using Howston G4/G6 files as placeholders for now.

If you want, load up your complete family-tree as I like to call it... Veh file! Which points to HDV, which points towards suspension/chassis file, gearbox file, engine file TBC file which points towards the TGM file...

If one file is missing or not being pointed to it can make it crash pretty hard. Getting in placeholders is absolutely essential.

EDIT: Added screens to illustrate the add-AI-watch-car-without-driving-it-thing
    GRAB_600.JPG GRAB_601.JPG GRAB_602.JPG GRAB_603.JPG

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Bozak, mantasisg, Corti and 2 others like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks, people ! I have yet to try out things what you suggested, I should be able to do it this evening.

@Bozak What about "DEBRIS" instances ? I suppose they are not essential then.

@BJørn Yes it happens without pressing RACE, soon after loading. I am using GT40 MK4 mod files as placeholders, which are essentially very close to howston + cobra files, I suppose. Will look at all those links at the .veh file, I have checked them many times before, but maybe something could be still wrong.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Sad to hear that it happens without clicking the race button... Something is very wrong obviously. It is probably something "basic" - it's the basic stuff that usually makes it crash hard. The GT40 is based upon the Howston, I'm pretty sure, so you're good for getting going at least. When it crashes hard it is impossible to have a good trace file I believe... What I would do would be to unpack whatever car you want it to be based on... Have that working in devmode. THEN you start to work on the graphics, i.e. sorting out the gen file - Have your car load in. Then you can start tweaking shaders and textures, working on dials etc.

By doing this you've isolated possible crashes to the graphical side of things.

If all fails, pack up what you have and have another set of eyes on it :)

15. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I think what Bjorn said is the best. Get the GT40 base fully into dev mode and working. Then from there, work graphically next. I started work on a GT40 conversion myself recently and they way that the '67 Endurance is setup works, it is a bit more complicated with files locations than just a single spec car. I believe it is the USF2000 is the base car in mod dev (If not it is the Skip Barber). You may want to use that as your base car. Once you have it in graphically, then start loading the the GT40 based physics and sounds and such...

Small OT: Bjorn, that Audi looks great!

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thanks man... I didn't know you did modding, other than working on skins :) I love the car so much I've converted it, twice :D I needed the high downforce version as well :)

17. Bozak

Bozak Registered

I thought that when you clicked the race button you saw the car half of it inside the ground and then crashed.
    If the game crash at the end of loading the track check as Bjorn said hdv pointing to correct file names, damage.ini, tyres.tbc, chassis.ini, engine.ini, gearbox.ini. If you've made a mistake at .veh file you won't be able to see the car at the selection screen menu.
    The Debris Instance are not mandatory, use them when you run out of Instances and for objects that you want to be detachable in a car crash. Fwing and Rwing can be used for front and rear bumper since your car doesn't have wings.

mantasisg likes this.
  18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Problem with debris is that it won't be repaired in the pit stop... So in my opinion it's silly to use... Yeah it's cool that a door can be torn of the car, but what's the use if it isn't put back on when you pit? Another example... Winglets are cool... It's awesome they can be knocked off but the front splitter stays put... But what's the point if you decide to change the front splitter in the pits, it's changed, but the winglets remains absent...

This is my impression - I might be misinformed though...

mantasisg and Bozak like this.
  19. Bozak

Bozak Registered

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that debris won't be repaired in the pit stop.

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Like I said, I might be misinformed - or just not know how to make debris repairable in a pitstop...

mantasisg likes this.