Game crash with fresh install. PLS HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dav111, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Dav111

Dav111 Registered

The game is still crashes when I use Esc to go back to pit. This error is started with DX11 (with DX9 there was no problem with the game) and still no solution. It can't be any plug-in or mod becasue it makes it with fresh install. Please do something because it starts to be really irritating.

If anyone has any solution please help me. I think devs are now on to make DLCs and not to improve the game or fix any problem.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you tried without your sidewinder plugged in? Is this on 64 bit or does that still not work for you? Did you remove all rF2 related files from the install folder and from your documents / user folder when you reinstalled it?

What are your system specs?

Please stop with the "I think they don't want to fix problems now" tone.

3. Dav111

Dav111 Registered

I tried without the steering wheel or any controller, I use 64 bit and I removed all the files. Still nothing.

Specs:
    AMD FX8320 @4GHz
    nVidia GTX1070 8GB
    24GB RAM
    Windows 10 (But had the same with Win 7)

(1000/200 Mbps Internet connection)

The game runs 100+FPS maxed out if I don't use any sync. And I can play but if I try to go back to pit with ESC it crashes 85% of the time. It is not that good if I have 10-15 mins for a Quali.

(The last sentence is not just about that. I saw a lot of problem with "Connection Lost" error, and the game still has it for 2 month to me.)

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Maybe disable replays or something, since that's what it's loading when you go back to the garage.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Try different keyboard and usb port

6. Comante

Comante Registered

I've been victim of the same problem since RF2 beta came out, In the meanwhile I changed CPU, GPU, RAM, MB, almost all the computer at least once.
    The problem never disapperared.
    I had some "improvement" when I deleted ALL the USERDATA folder content (where all the .JSON files are stored).
    But, from time to time I still experience this CTD.
    In my case I suppose the issue is generated by VRAM saturation, my GPU has 3GB, if I play on old or light content, the Sim can run HOURS without a single hickup (Botnianring for example). If I play on Sebring, soon or later it will CTD even with skip barbers.
    But I see your GPU has 8GB, so there should be plenty of space. unless RF2 has some problem handling it in unknown circumstances.
    Disabling instant replays in the past has helped, I'll do it again, but it's a feature that I like, so this is a bit disappointing.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Dav111 and @Comante Could you please upload the trace file here, from when the game crashes.
    That sometimes can help to find out the reason for the crashes and to fix it.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

Sorry but I need to ask where I find it or how I tell RF2 to generate it.
    I'll do for sure.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

It should be more or less impossible for a game to crash if it runs out of VRAM unless it's coded very poorly, as most games constantly load things in and out of VRAM. I have observed that sim racing games typically load the whole track into VRAM at once and the performance drops a lot if VRAM runs out, in particular with rF2. But it should then simply fall back to system RAM and not crash. I would rather guess that running out of system RAM or having virtual page file set too small in OS could cause this.

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

The following explains how to let the game generate a trace file for the single player mode.

Open steam and run the rfactor2 launcher.
    Click on the gear on the left (the orange symbol).
    Then click on 'Single Player' on it's right, that it gets highlighted.
    Write trace=3 into the field under 'Single Player' and then press the button 'Save' at the end of the field.
    Then start the Single Player.
    The generated trace files can be found in the folder:
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log

Unbenannt-2.jpg

11. Comante

Comante Registered

This is my link to trace.txt file.
    this time, just to make things different, it didn't crash on pressing ESC, but when I pressed "RACE" from the pits.
    It seems there are a lot of errors at the beginning of initialization, probably a complete reinstall should be mandatory. But if you can find a probable reason then kudos to you.
    p.s. I don't understand why there is so much missing stuff at the beginning, I just added content and never messed with the folders since moving RF2 to steam

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00qh7sid9oj9lmv/trace_2018_11_28_18_43_33-15.txt?dl=0

12. Comante

Comante Registered

The first time I tried to make RF2 crash TrackIR was not working, and I was not able to reproduce the bug. So I restarted the game, now with TrackIR and voilà. but as I always use trackir, I don't want to think it could be the culprit.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Comante If you can try to make it crash without TrackIR it would be very helpful. If it is the culprit there doesn't seem much point in trying to look for other factors...

... plus, if confirmed, it could perhaps be fixed. Win-win!

14. Dav111

Dav111 Registered

15. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Dav111,

Looking at that log I’d say you need to move the game outside of the Program Files folder. It looks like it’s having trouble loading some files that it thinks are there, which leads me to believe it’s having issues creating files. Essentially it needs to be somewhere where you have write access (ie not inside Program Files or it’s x86 variant). From memory to do this you can create a new library location in Steam and then migrate the game to that new library.

Actually, you might just be better off reinstalling to the new location, but I’d try moving it first because I don’t like waiting. :)

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I do agree here.

@Dav111 The last lines of your trace seem to report that your car can not be loaded on the server anymore.
    Did you get a 'connection lost' or similar error message?

And i also agree to what @DanielK has suggested.

17. Comante

Comante Registered

So, I think I have to surrender to evidence: I played and mistreated RF2 for about 3 hours straight, and without TrackIR it NEVER crashed a single time. I think I'm on the verge of a hysterical crisis.... I'm plagued by this problem from day1.... it's one of the reason I don't even ever bothered to invest the time to make good setup or make a whole race weekend.. until recently when things seemed to improve... a bit

18. Comante

Comante Registered

It seems I've solved my problem: I disabled the ability of windows to cut power to USB ports to save power. I must conclude that RF2 has problems in keeping control of track ir when in garage, as there, trackir is not used.the transition seems to be critical. It was so freaking simple but I wasted 6 years of my life thinking that the problem was RF2.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd 'like' your post, but it's a bit sad :(