SSD size for OS and more?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Alex72, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Hahaha! :D No mate the radiator is next to my PC, lol. You gave me a mental image of professor Fansworth shuffling back and forth in his light blue slippers. :D

2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

When I build pcs I always leave the power unit plugged in, so every I walk away from pc and come back to it, I just touch the power supply, easy mode

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm sure I saw somewhere that someone had cut the active and neutral pins off the male end of the mains power cable just leaving the earth pin.
    Kept cable plugged in to wall and pc like @patchedupdemon but no chance of power getting to pc if accidentally switched on at wall.

4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Only thing im wondering about now is how Windows is delivered to you when you buy it? If its on disc as i got in the past (way way in the past) then how up to date is it? Is it a digital download these days so i can get a boot on a USB directly by downloading it and put it on a USB?

5. RockShark

RockShark Registered

I don't cut the pins off the plug. I cut the active and neutral cables inside the plug (you need to get a new plug from the local hardware shop).
    I think you can get it either way in Aus. It will update itself as part of the install process.

6. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I just did this, so download from micropeople then tell it to save as a USB, it will then write it to the USB for boot/install.
    You will need to have a 8 gig usb stick.
    Easy as bro.

Alex72 likes this.
  7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks. Was hoping you could get updated version and not a disc that has to update for ages.

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Windows 10 has that.
    Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and use that to make a bootable usb stick (as the Smelly one said) with the latest version of Win 10. Any updates it installs should only be for Defender Anti Virus stuff and that is small.
    That's of coarse if you're smart and set Windows to not install what it thinks are the best hardware drivers.
    That's a whole other discussion.
    My tip is get Win Pro, easy to disable driver updates using Group Policy Editor (I think it's called that).
    That's unless they've changed the standard version.

Alex72 likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA I've long thought Pro was a waste of time for home users, because nearly everything it offers above Home isn't used. But for that purpose (restricting driver installation) I'd have to say it's just about worth it. With my AMD graphics card it constantly updated the drivers (in the background) to an interim version - not the latest stable release from AMD, and not the latest beta version - which meant my PC would randomly lock up when using a browser. It took me a while to work out what was causing the lockups, but from that point on that's how I knew windows had updated the driver. So I'd go and uninstall it, install the AMD drivers myself, and be good until it updated again.

So if Pro is needed to stop a specific driver/device auto-updating, or to stop auto driver updates generally, it's actually something to consider.

ADSTA likes this.
  10. RockShark

RockShark Registered

I have Win10 Home.
    To disable driver updates go to Control Panel then System
    Select Advanced System Settings then Hardware and Device Installation Settings
    Select 'No'
    I have never had any drivers update without me doing it manually.
    This is the first thing I do after I do a clean install.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. nurogize

nurogize Registered

Nvme is more suited for video editing. You're better off getting a 1TB sata SSD for the same price.

rF2 has long load times even with SSD.

12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I wonder if Microsoft changed something because when I got 10 people were complaining that method had flaws.
    With Win7 I still use that method on my 2nd pc.
    I also don't connect to the net until I've manually installed my drivers on a clean Windows install.

13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

As @ADSTA said, Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and make a USB stick.
    When installing, if you have a not in use Windows 7/8/8.1 Product Key (from your old PC for instance) then input this when asked and it should activate.
    In order to complete this successfully, one should be connected to the internet at the start of the installation.
    This in order to save the cost of purchasing a new license.

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

why i cannot find it ?
    there is no such a thing as Advanced System Settings in the control panel

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I saw this advice in multiple places soon after Win10 came out, I believe in more recent updates this option has changed to specify 'manufacturer's apps and custom icons', and people reported it wasn't stopping drivers being installed. My option there is set to No, so it definitely wasn't stopping my drivers updating.

@mesfigas You missed the 'System' step, but you need to be showing icons (not category). I prefer to get to System by hitting Windows + Pause/Break on the keyboard.

16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Guys, i can just stretch my money to a legit OEM Win1 0 and it scares me if i want to upgrade my mobo. Some places that SEEM legit charge much less money for Win keys compared to the store where i buy my PC parts. I know my store is legit while the other places i cant tell 100% how legit. I know they are not one of those "cheap keys" sites that sell tons of game and program keys, but they have really good prices on Win 10 keys. I emailed one of them and they said they buy in volume plus because they dont offer a physical product they can lower the price. I wasnt born yesterday though so i am still skeptical. Not sure if its better however to get a cheaper semi-legit Win 10 key if i wont be able to re-activate it anyway when getting a new mobo.

Retail directly from Microsoft (non OEM): €250 or $275 and i cant afford that atm.
    Legit OEM from shop: €170 or $185
    Not sure legit key: €50 or $55

If legit OEM wont work when i upgrade maybe the cheap key option is smarter...?

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

There is if you search it from the taskbar HOWEVER when you click it it will take you to the system properties window where you have "performance, User Profiles, Startup and Recovery" tabs. So i guess its still there in name only but it wont take you to a place where you can choose "no" to win upgrades.

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

if i right click my computer icon and (This PC) and choose advance system settings then go to Tab called Hardware there is an option called
    device installation settings
    if i click on it pops a window with 2 options (yes or no)
    might be the one that we talk about cause it says something about installations
    i sett it to "NO" to avoid installations that i dont approve but at the same time i checked my ATI drivers and hasnt changed since 10 days ago that i update them
    i also updated my windows 10 home the last 10 days and they didnt update my gpu drivers for no reason.

Alex72 likes this.
  19. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I would first try the old Product Key, if it does not work, you can still complete the installation and order a new license.
    You do have to make sure the old Product Key is not connected to the internet on an old computer.
    The "cheap keys" do work if sourced from a popular site (like where games are purchased).

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ah yes. I found it. Doesnt seem to stop windows updates (from reading what it says there) but maybe it does?