My NEW RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by M D Gourley, Nov 15, 2018.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Hello everyone,
    OMG, what a difference a modern Graphics Card makes to the Sim Racing experience. After 6 years with my much loved and abused GTX 690 having to struggle against a more powerful CPU (i7 3770K) and also being connected to triple screens 5760x1080 @ 60Hz.
    I finally decided to make the jump to the new 20 series GPU's. The budget only allowed for the RTX 2070, but from the research I did on the specs compared to my GTX 690 and also allowing for my older CPU i7 3770K I thought this would be a good pairing without bottlenecking my CPU to much...so I decided to go with the 'Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition'....and, well...OMG again after I got it all up and running I decided to go into rFactor 2, load up the 'Laser Scanned version of 'SEBRING', which gave my old GTX 690 a fair thrashing even on low to medium'ish settings and gave it a go.
    I immediately noticed how much better overall the graphics looked even on the low to medium'ish settings used from when the GTX 690 was still installed not to mention the FPS increase....Holy Cow...the old GTX 690 had 9 FPS on the starting Grid with 10 GT3 cars and throughout the track it did not get much higher than 25 FPS...the RTX 2070 went up to 139 FPS on the starting grid and up to 200FPS through various areas of the track...lol, o' happy days.
    Now I thought I would crank rF2 up to the 'Ultra' settings using the RTX 2070 and see what happens as I have never been able to run rF2 with the GTX 690 at these settings...and I am very happy that I can finally run 10x rF2 GT3 cars on the Laser Scanned version of SEBRING in the RAIN...LOL...it was only 54 FPS on the starting grid but went up to 75 FPS throughout the track...I'll take that improvement for sure.
    All in all, I am very happy with the upgrade from the GTX 690 to the RTX 2070...and this card still works great on my older spec system and gave me the FPS increase that a was hoping for.
    PC specs: Asus P8 z77 V-Deluxe, i7 3770K, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Cooler Master V1000 80 plus Gold PSU, Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition.
    Clearing the 'Shader' and 'Cbash' folders did provide a slight increase in FPS on the rF2 laser scanned version of 'SEBRING Full Coarse' on 'FULL' in game graphics settings from 54 -75 FPS to 64-115FPS.
    Link to how to do it....
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-simple-way-to-clear-shaders-and-cbash.55446/
    rF2 Low Games Settings...
    rF2 low GAME SETTINGS.jpg
    GTX 690
    rF2 GTX690 Low Game Settings laser SEBRING crop.jpg
    RTX 2070 below...
    rF 2 RTX 2070 Low GAME SETTINGS Laser Scan SEBRING crop.jpg
    rF2 Ultra setting with RTX 2070...
    rF2 Ultra GAME SETTINGS crop.jpg
    RTX 2070 with in game 'FULL' settings in Rain
    rF2 with RTX 2070 in RAIN Ultra Settings crop.jpg

Please Note: I have read that a lot of the RTX cards are failing / dying and I have taken the 'Leap of Faith' in the hope it does not happen to me...so this might be something to be aware of and do some research before purchasing a new RTX card.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

congrats for your new Gpu mate

M D Gourley likes this.
  3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I'm also thinking about buying the 2070. Good value compared to the 1080 and 1080ti. I'm on a single 3440x1440 and my GTX780 is struggling aswell. According to your resolution, I should get even better results.

M D Gourley likes this.
  4. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for showing some interest...yes, you possibly could get more...as when I was researching the specs on the RTX 2070 I was looking at the 4K performance and thought the same as you as my resolution is less than 4k so...'I should get even better results'....and it has exceeded all my expectations so far.
    Please Note: I have read that a lot of the RTX cards are failing / dying and I have taken the 'Leap of Faith' in the hope it does not happen to me...so this might be something to be aware of before purchasing a new RTX card.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Paul McC and Flaux like this.
  5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I didn't know that indeed. Valuable information, so thank you for the heads up.

I wish you a lot of happy days with yours and can only imagine the joy of finally racing rf2 fluid. :)

EDIT: Time to update your signature. ;-)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Interesting to observe the RAM usage in your screenshots. With old card it shows 9900 MB and with new card only 5700 MB. So basically the 2 GB onboard RAM of GTX 690 was way too little, which supports the idea that 2 GB GPU's should no longer be used for gaming. It would be useful for rF2 to include some sort of VRAM calculator/estimator, as users are often running into this issue.

I wouldn't worry about the card failing, those things get reported quickly in today's social media, but it still only concerns a fraction of a percentage of users and it seems the concern was for RTX 2080 Ti model.

7. Louis

Louis Registered

meh

M D Gourley likes this.
  8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

A thought came to mind reading this thread.
    Would deleting the contents of the Cbash and Shaders folders be a good idea after installing a new graphics card and drivers?

9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

LOL...I know, I am old and easily impressed.:D

Louis likes this.
  10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for your thoughts...unfortunately I have no idea what they are...old person here, also non tech knowledge...lol

11. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Yes, I did notice this but did not quite understand why there is a difference....you answer sounds logical

12. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

i think you mean gtx960 or gtx680 because there's no gtx690. a gtx960 and gtx680 are about equal in power.

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    M D Gourley likes this.
  14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Unless 101% certain, Google first, reply second.
    My tip for the day. ;)

BlkJello, Ho3n3r, M D Gourley and 2 others like this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

@M D Gourley Im happy for you man! :) I just switched from 6-8 years old hardware to the ones in my sig. Still have the GTX980 and will switch it too in a while, but the feeling of going into a more kick ass performance environment feels so good. :D

Edit: people who have their cards dying are morons i would guess. Dont worry about it. Ive heard that too with hardware ive had and nothing happened. I think they stress their cards too much. Basically many of those who buy the latest most expensive gear also overclock and stress their gear. Normal usage is covered anyway by warranty.

Also guys, when are we driving together for shit's'giggles? Some old school powerful cars on an old school fun track. It must happen. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    M D Gourley likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

You really should clear cbash and shaders mate. In fact you should do it with every update just to be sure its all new and fresh. Im at work atm but i have a BAT file to do it from 1 click and i can give it to you when i come home. Its on the forum but i forget where. You might get even better performance or at least be sure its all top notch.

M D Gourley likes this.
  17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

18. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Absolutely 100% agree.

Alex72 likes this.
  19. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ...and yes I have taken the leap of faith ...lol...but will monitor my new RTX 2070 and will not manually overclock it at all because out of the box it is giving me the performance hit I wanted compared to the GTX 690...the RTX 2070 has exceeded all my expectations.

Alex72 likes this.
  20. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for the link...did it and it did provide a slight increase in FPS from 54-75 to 64-115fps with 'FULL' in game settings on the rF2 laser scanned version of 'Sebring - Full Coarse' with 10x rF2 GT3 cars in 'Overcast and Rain' settings.

Alex72, DrivingFast and ADSTA like this.