about modding noobs answer

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by KRO, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KRO

KRO Registered

hi, i read the forum but don't find clear notice about create and apply good method for paint car .
    About Window.
    Sometime the good name is:
    namealtwindowsin.dds & namealtwindowsout.dds (Porsche 911RSR_911), sometime namealtEXTRA0.dds & namealtEXTRA1.dds.
    Sometime altwindow.dds works too, so i m really nervous, don't really know the good way.

This depend of the different .veh create in regards with different model ?
    need to duplicate and modify a .veh ? where did we put this ?

I m obviously idiot and my english so poor (french) but i still don't understand how apply tinted glass..
    If it s just ckeck the alpha layers visible and save the .psd on .dds ?

-What is EXTRA2 ?
    -Where can we find a notice about ?
    -Where find altDRIVER.dds and altHELMET.dds

About icon for showroom.
    I create file in the same folder i create new car to have a image on the gallery but this don't works:
    namealtICON.dds, a namealtSMICON.dds, a namealtICON.png
    So i don't know how it s work fine for u, perhap it s the .veh to create and modify ?

4. about technic vector painter:
    Is there a good practice to have a nice jonction beetwin 2 vector line where the wireframe is on 2d .(photoshop)
    Did some professionnal use another software ?

Thanks very much for your reply

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

1: The name is defined by the material, so it can really be whatever you want. You can define it in the .veh file with a line like: Extra0="BODYEXTRA"

Extra0 is the name of the material inside 3ds max or blender or anything, the line is telling it to look for a file name carnameBODYEXTRA.dds, if it doesn't find it, it'll use the default texture. If you're just creating a skin, you really have no control of this, and you shouldn't edit those lines of the .veh file.

1.1: It should be the colour of the alpha channel, white(255) is opaque(can't see through), black(0) is transparent(can see through), so you have 1-254 to define how transparent you want the glass.

2: See answer for 1, it can be anything. I don't know where to find the driver or helmet templates anymore.

3: You need to pack it into a .mas file, rFactor 2\Support\Tools, MAS2.exe. Put your files in that and save it as the same name as your skin you're making.

3. KRO

KRO Registered

Thank's very much.

3. i pack it too in a .mas file for test Gmotor mas, it s ok to see the car skin in showroom (nice) but, to see a preview on the gallery show like official picture, this don't work, perhaps i have to respect something in the .veh inventory number about the car model. I extract the mas file on the folder installed to see example of.
    That s why i m asking if i can make a .veh for a new skin..
    Perhaps i name it wrong, cause with .mas we don't need to include alt for names of skin we create on .dds
    I will try a other one lol.

Have another noobs answer:
    4.Color rim
    Can we change color of rim wheel ? I don't think on rfactor2, i see this on CLIO but i thing it s no more possible with GT3 GTE pack.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. KRO

KRO Registered

1. Can we find the 3D works file ?
    1.1 Thanks very much, so we include the alpha chanel visible on photoshop when we save on .dds ? I will try white opacity 40%

5. Coutie

@KRO
    3: You can't make a veh file for a skin. You need to have altNAMEHERE.dds for all your files, like alt15.dds, alt15WINDOWS.dds, etc.
    4: On some cars, but most you can't.

1: No, people usually won't share that.
    1.1: Yes, make sure to save it DXT5 with alpha channel.

6. KRO

KRO Registered

Thanks @Coutie
    1.Paint with wireframe
    I unnderstand for 3d and i don't know how made a car, it's still awefull to have template, wireframe, layer of carbon ans other..but it s to know if there a way to respect the shape curve easily when there's jonction.
    3. .mas / .dds
    Skin img preview - So perhaps you know if i want to include preview images when choosing a skin, i'll name it altNAMEHEREICON.png and altNAMEHERESMICON.png ? i will try.
    4. Color Rims
    ok, how know witch are available ? Perhaps simply wireframe rim are available only with car who contained rim.dds or EXTRAxx.dds... i will check the Clio .mas if there's available.

Géneral: Namming in uppercase are strongly recommended ? Perhaps some files shoud not working without ?

really thanks for your help..and your patience

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. Coutie

1: No easy way, just have to keep checking it until it's right.
    3: You should only need ICON.dds, make sure it's dds.
    4: I don't know, maybe none allow it.

I don't think naming matters, just do it the way you want to, you'll probably be the only one seeing the file names.

8. Gilles Benoit

Gilles Benoit Registered

Bonjour, Gasoline Alley mod has different rims colors. I use this shader with a very small "coloring" file in each team folder. upload_2018-11-15_12-43-38.png upload_2018-11-15_12-43-38.png

9. Gilles Benoit

Gilles Benoit Registered

Magnesium :
    upload_2018-11-15_12-45-32.png

Dark red :
    upload_2018-11-15_12-47-25.png

Write me back if you want the textures and more info.
    Cheers !
    Gilles

10. KRO

KRO Registered

Merci very much for reply @Gilles Benoit
    4. RIMS color
    For me actually i was looking for Rim of Porsche RSR 911 GTE..I realy thing it s impossible for the GTE Pack.
    But where you find this screen ? This is from files you create on 3D (sorry i m a noobs, never trie) or it s just kind of template on Rfactor2 ?
    @Coutie
    3. Skin IMG PREVIEW
    ICON.dds won't work.
    I don't know if we speak about same thing or i don't understand.
    [​IMG]
    There's still nothing when i create a .mas include alt.dds, altWINDOWSIN.dds, altWINDOWSOUT (sorry but for the porsche GTE altWINDOW.dds won't work) and a ICON.DDS (png save as dds). I tried altICON.dds altnameICON.dds, altnameSMICON.dds, namealtICON.dds (...). perhaps have to include a line in the .rcd
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    GTE
    {
    **RSR_991
    {
    Team = *****
    Component = Porsche_991RSR_GTE_2017
    Skin = alt.dds
    VehFile = 991RSR_911.VEH
    Description = PORSCHE 911 RSR ***** #**
    Number = **
    }
    }​

11. Coutie

You can't edit the rims on and S397 cars, I'm pretty sure.
    If you want to use an icon, you'll need to make a new team, you do that from the spinner(Exposition), you'll need all your files inside of a mas file, then place it in the folder of the car, then select it, and press create team.

KRO likes this.
  12. KRO

KRO Registered

@Gilles Benoit
    Look's like really fun on multiplayer in indianapolis this car !! :) o_O

13. KRO

KRO Registered

"You can't edit the rims on and S397 cars, I'm pretty sure." thanks, really it was for the best..
    Sorry for this, i look a lot of tutorial (youtube, forum) and readding about it but it s like Alpha, i m really too slow to understand...but i think i ll do it well for alpha on window, not yet on body to produce 100%glossy or 0%glossy or perhaps this is on 3d files to change this..)
    i will re-create a new team so..( new team new folder create and i put the .mas with a ICON.DDS and the .rcd i can rename it and choose skin = alt.dds or alt.mas )

14. Coutie

You shouldn't have to re-name anything once you create the team, it should be all automatic.

15. KRO

KRO Registered

thx @Coutie i know but name team is the folder name too, for me, it's why i m confusing...nevermind.