gtx 1060 problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dazzer, Nov 10, 2018.

1. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Hello, I tell you my problem, today I changed my old gtx 1050 ti for a msi 1060 gamming x, all the games that I executed perfectly go perfectly, the improvement in the fps was very evident, the problem that I have is simply with rfactor 2, that instead of improving the fps, they decay brutally, I can not do a race with minimum graphics without having 30 fps or less. thing that with my 1050 did not happen since I could get 60 fps.
    Any ideas that may cause the problem?
    20181110022428_1.jpg

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Similar to someone else in the last couple of days (sorry, can't remember where now, but I don't think it's been solved yet anyway), you've upgraded your GPU but now your CPU is limiting your FPS. Notice in your screenshot the CPU time has a * next to it, indicating that's limiting. Unless the GPU time has a * next to it when you're looking at it?

3. dazzer

dazzer Registered

the problem will be caused by the CPU then?

4. txinas

txinas Registered

Lazza likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Good point @txinas , check that the PCIE is correct.

6. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I only have one PCIE

cpu: amd fx 6300
    motherboard: asus m5a78l-m/usb3
    ram: 10gb
    old gpu: msi 1050ti 4gb
    new gpu: msi gamming pro 1060 3gb

:(:(:(:(:(:(

with all the other games I noticed a great improvement, with assetto corsa I managed to improve 50 fps

assetto corsa avg fps: 120 full graphics
    motion blur: off

rf2 30 cars in sebring 9 fps

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh, you've gone from 4GB to 3GB video ram. You might be running out.

@dazzer And just to be clear on the PCIE thing, you want to make sure your card is running at x16 (3.0). nVidia inspector I think can show that, or GPU-Z has a test that will show what it's running at when under load. rF2 is very sensitive to PCIE mode.

8. dazzer

dazzer Registered

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It might not be running out in other games. Try reducing AI to 0 and see what happens.

10. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Lazza I wasn't aware of the significance of the asterisk until your post. I have just run my system [VR with an i5 oc'd to 4.2GHz and a 980Ti] and noticed the following. An asterisk appears against the CPU momentarily, the GPU momentarily, against both at the same time momentarily or nothing at all. My FPS count is running at 90 avg, with a min of 81 and max of 91 [Running VR]. My MOBO runs PCIe 3, so my question really is - are my CPU and GPU limiting my system? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For info - this was on a server with only one other car on the circuit.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Mark Fuller VR could be a whole different kettle of fish. Sometimes I can get very even numbers (and the * switching around) depending on what settings I'm using, how I'm limiting FPS perhaps, or whatever else.

But, usually, the CPU number is much lower than the GPU, which has the * next to it, so I'm GPU limited. VR tends to be more CPU intensive anyway, so it may never be so imbalanced.

12. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Lazza Thanks for the prompt reply :) My numbers seem to be fairly even when watching in VR [not a good idea as tend to loose focus on the track]. Might look at seeing if I can squeeze anything more out of the CPU.

13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

If both my gpu and cpu have the * but the frame times are the same, ie 11ms is that ok or bad

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well that's 90FPS, so it's probably fine :)

I limit my FPS to keep my GPU load down, by using the player.JSON max framerate option, and doing it that way I get very similar frametimes for CPU and GPU. I know I tried various sync settings and some did the same, others didn't, so this won't be the same for everyone. It's not really worth worrying about unless you have poor FPS and are trying to work out why.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  15. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Thanks for the reply, yeah I’ve limited my FPS to 84 or 85 can’t remember which one now, I can’t relember why exactly but that’s what the dev on iracing said is best for latency or something like that

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

your computer is old to run rf2 with high fps no matter what happens in other games
    you need mobo and cpu upgrade plus newer ram

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Not true exactly, there are some new games that you cannot run maxed out because they require more than 3 GB VRAM. Usually those games won't allow you to even select the ultra options, but with rF2 you need to manually adjust things a bit more. Once the VRAM limit is exceeded, FPS in rF2 will drop massively. Sebring and 20 GT3 AI can barely fit into 3 GB VRAM if you close browser windows etc before you play. Of course one way to make it work is to lower graphics details, mainly texture details.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

wonder why you'd buy the 3gb instead of the 6gb. Even in countries with shit currencies you can find both for almost the same price, apart from memory size the 6gb version also have more cuda cores, in the long run it's better, especially for rF2.

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

85 euros price difference in Greece between 3 giga and 6 giga
    for the Palit version.

20. tyressin

tyressin Registered

@dazzer Did you use DDU before swapping video cards ? if not then you should. You can check if vram is bottlenecking you by running GPU-Z in the background; though that does not explain constant low framerates. I would also try completely reinstalling rf2 or at least create new player / config files and clear old cbash files. You can also try to set the Power Options for rf2 to High Performance in the nVidia control panel to see if it helps.