Latest Roadmap Update - October 2018

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2018.

1. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

+1

There seems to be quite a lot of online vs offline players, so opinions to what deserves the most attention is always interesting. Myself, I don't have a schedule that is "league friendly", but I've managed to have a couple of good races via RD. I like offline play, which is why AI is so important for me. fwiw.

Louis likes this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yep ai player here to!

3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I have been racing online for 5 years or so with most of my 1000 plus hours being online. Having done races up to 40 cars, circuits including The Nordschliefe in a 24 hour event (3 times in 3 years). In 50 plus races I have experienced one server side glitch.
    So maybe some of the videos aren't conveying the actual performance.
    You can go back through 3 years of FSR races in 3 categories WC, Ace, Pro. I don't think you will find one issue.

So sorry I have to disagree wholeheartedly. Online works pretty well.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that this shouldn't be "offline vs online"
    I never play offline, but i think that AI should work well.
    The better every feature works the better will be for all.

John, jayarrbee36, McKiernan and 3 others like this.
  5. philman

philman Registered

First of all and in order to avoid any sterile controversy, I would like to thank all the authors of this game as well as those who participate voluntarily in its development by creating cars, circuits and other. Indeed, I don't like rf2, I love it. I've tried a lot of games over the last 15 years but I've always come back to rf2 which provides a maximum of physical sensations. But I think almost everyone here agrees with me on this point. In addition, the latest creations of S397 are really extraordinary in every respect; GT3 pack, Endurance pack, etc....

That said, of course, not everything is perfect. If you don't mind, I would like to make a non-exhaustive list of all the points that I think deserve further study.

I would like to start with what worries me the most today: rf2 is losing users and the interest in the game is decreasing. This is particularly noticeable by the activity on the forum which is no longer what it was one or two years ago. I think this is due to development errors such as maintaining the game in dx9 when dx11 was already dominant among competitors. In addition, the physical characteristics of the game, and in particular the tires, made it more difficult for modders to approach. This added to the greater difficulty of dx11 and the addition of rain and the number of creations decreases. The remedy, a little discussed in the last roadmap, is certainly to significantly increase both graphic and technical tools. By helping to create, interest in the game would quickly resume.

If the idea of the monthly roadmap is a good idea because communication is very important, it should not become an obligation for their authors because it necessarily goes in the opposite direction to the one for which it was created and this can be seen on the last one and some readers have not failed to say so. In addition, some announcements made in previous roadmaps are not followed, resulting in an impression of artistic vagueness that should not be maintained. This is particularly true for the famous user interface that has become a sea snake and which many people wonder if it will ever come into being. That said, the development of this interface is certainly extremely difficult, but it may not be useless to know precisely all the problems encountered.

Finally, I would like to point out a number of improvements that I personally would appreciate and that significantly increase immersion in the game:

- the sound of the tires should not be the same on dry and wet tracks

- Water fog should be present on both front and rear tires

- the light beams from the headlights and taillights should reflect on the track (wet or dry, day a night)

- the sparks generated by the friction of the car on the track should exist as in rf1

I apologize for having been a little long in this indictment, but when you like it, you don't count.

6. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

My observation that might be completely wrong is that the forum is more lively when modders are doing their thing (and thank you all very much for doing it) but with the constant and necessary development of the game I assume it’s moving the goal posts every few months for mods in production. If I was a modder I would struggle to keep up with the current development rate and would probably wait until it slows to a point that I can complete my mod to the latest spec.

Just as well I’m not a modder!

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

people who left are always welcome to come back :)
    new UI and more laser scanned tracks will help further plus more eye candy elements that will be come to game.
    as for the physics i think no one can leave without them :)

8. Louis

Louis Registered

I would prefer if they focus in developing the game features and be the best moddable platform and let content (except tracks) to the modders

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Please make that any real road Setting for new installed tracks is automatically "max grip". Even if the track does not provide this Setting, set it max somehow, I do not care how but just do. Declare a new Setting "all max" and apply it global on whole track, whatever. Visible Rubber not needed.
    Instead of max, If you could name it "fixed Level" and add an edit or spin to set 0-100%, even better. But then again, Default should be 100%

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Stefan_L_01 Why on earth would you want to completely negate realroad rubbering? That's one thing rF2 does right!

11. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

If the track can not provide the rubber, because it does not deliver it by Installation as realroad info, DON`T CARE. That´s all what I say.
    But give newbies 100%. Thats what I´m talking About actually .
    It´s a nogo that a new installed track starts with "GREEN" Settings, This can happen and happened to me (happen alltime?).

edit: OT, how can I disable this strange automatic Forum corrections of what I type, mainly upper lower case? It makes all wrong!

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Stefan_L_01 I can see what you're saying, but that comes back to new players not understanding how the game works. When real race drivers & teams turn up at a track and start doing laps, the amount of rubber already down (or if it's a green track) is an important consideration. I agree with making it easier to provide a blanket option (slider) so you don't have to run laps or have AI runs laps and then save it and use that as the preset, etc, but just having full rubber takes away realistic track progression that makes rF2 impressive and stand out above most other titles.

I guess really we're just both not happy with how the game presents (or doesn't) what it's doing; new players slide all over the place on a green track and don't know why, and that's probably the main issue.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

We need a "Haha" reaction in this forum like we have at RD

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Green tracks are actually a must to teach noobs the meaning of racecraft imho

John likes this.
  15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Correct. And what is the result? They will drop the game and stick what they know. Unfortunatley IMO rf2 can not rely on totally new Players discovering rf2 one and only. Because rf2 is not visible regarding public presentation. The biggest potential for rf2 is in the much bigger Player crowd of other sims, which got Players out of the even bigger crowd of their console gaming equivalent. So If they try rf2 and fail with even careful driving, they turn away, simple as this.
    Green track is an absolutly nogo

16. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Win 7 home premium 64 bit. No real issues with any other cars. I can turn shadows and other graphics options down and the GT 3 cars are playable, but i'd rather not have to change settings every time i use them.

17. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I don’t think it’s a nogo but I agree with having obvious informaction that new users can see that the track is green and understand what that means. Having a slider or drop down to set the real road conditions in the new UI may help make it obvious. The problem is with a sim trying to be as realistic to life as possible ends up song complicated as real life is complicated.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tracks have come with preset real road fillers for awhile now, as iirc the "green" rubber is actually more than just a totally green track, i.e.there is a bit of rubber already laid down.

19. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I think the point being made is if new users are put off by not understanding a green track then they may not persist with a sim that demands involvment with the user.

Giving them an obvious way to change the track rubber will allow them to negate this problem while they are still learning the complexities of the sim.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes agree a better show of information for the new user regarding Green vs Rubbered track would help (thinking Mouseover Tips or something), but then again there's already plenty of information on the internet just as there is regarding Car Setups, it's all there for everyone to find.

FYI There already is an obvious way to change the Rubber for a track with Preset files in the Menu, as above most tracks come with high rates of Rubber in those preset files so it's already there to be used.

fsuarez79 and jayarrbee36 like this.