Add car procedure

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by a25box, Nov 6, 2018.

1. a25box

a25box Registered

Please...I have downloaded a car here and there that I'd like to add to rf2 but modders do not include readme installation procedure.
    For example...for the C-era mod, the Jagermeister 787b folder contains several .dds files, a .png, and a ui_skin.json file. I created the directory from within rf2 but they do nothing in there. Also, if a car mod has an .rcd file, where does it go?

Another example is the Holbert 962 Porsche which has several .dds files and one .veh file. Where do they go and how to proceed?
    Much appreciative of help.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

The car should be a rfcmp file, not a dir with different cars.
    And you should put the rfcmp in the packages folder and install from the launcher (in the package section).
    Where have you downloaded that car from?

3. a25box

a25box Registered

It did not come in rfcmp format. I believe I got these at RaceDepartment.
    The .dds files are not different cars but rather parts of the car- like gloves, suit, chassis, etc.
    So it looks like these might be grouped (the .dds) and then the .rdc goes somewhere and the ui_skin.json goes somewhere. In the case of the .veh it would go somewhere. No files start with alt. I just don't know how to sort it.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

You need the components packed (rfcmp) to install the car.
    Or you can pack yourself if you know all the files of the package.

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

As far i understood you are talking about a skin pack rather a mod, right @a25box ?

6. a25box

a25box Registered

Yes, this is a skin pack for the MAK -C Era Mod that already has other Porsche 962s in it. This would be an additional car.
    And...no, I do not know how to make a rfcmp file. I would imagine it not be necessary in rfcmp otherwise that would have been the only way they would have done it. There has to be a "manual" way where these files are introduced into their proper places.

7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I just took a look at those skins in RD and they are not in a proper format where you can just copy/paste them.
    The easiest way I can suggest is:

1) Create a virtual ride for the Porsche for example following the steps in this video -
    2) If you did it correctly, you'll have a new car in game and a new folder for the Porsche will be created at /Steam/steamapps/common/rfactor2/userdata/player/settings/
    3) Find the folder and inside you'll see the virtual ride you just created.....There will be a folder with the skin (*.dds file) and an .rcd file.
    4) Go in the folder, delete the *.dds file and replace it with the all the .dds files in the Porsche zip (you don't need the veh file).
    5) Open the .rcd file using a text editor and in the line that says "Skin = alt.dds" replace it with "Skin = 14_12HS85_Holbert.dds" (which is the name of the main skin in this case).

This should be all. Go in game and verify

The Jägermeister one seems to be an AC skin, so it won't work in rF2.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. a25box

a25box Registered

I thank you so much !!!
    Now all I need to do is find a little time to do this.
    You are very kind.

9. a25box

a25box Registered

Well...valient effort but it did not work.
    First, that youtube site has no sound but I gathered enough from it to create a car creating its directory. The Downloaded 14 Holbert file group did not contain an .rcd and I did not use its .veh, as you said. I copied the first car (Copenhagen #1). I went to the folders inside the MAK-Cera and saw 2 folders were new: a "Copenhagen01" and an "Al Holbert". I took out the existing .alt file and put in the guts (.dds files) of the Holbert download car into Al Holbert. I went in game, looked up the Lowenbrau #14 car on list (which is what I named it under creation of the dummy car) and what do I see in tuning...? Repsol#16 Oscar Larrauri (out of the blue). I went back to the MAK Cera folder and changed the guts into the Copenhagen01 folder this time. I went in game and in the list again picked Lowenbrau#14 and under tuning got the Copenhagen skin. I saw that back at the MAK Cera folder a 5.rcd had been created on its own.
    I took all new stuff out and it took a few back and forths (cleaning the registry I guess) to get the Lowenbrau#14 entry to not show up.
    I'm back to zero.
    Any of this trigger thoughts as to where I went wrong?
    Thanks

10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'll give it a try myself later today if I get a chance.

11. a25box

a25box Registered

Thank you Fsuarez79 for helping me.
    Some of these Porsche 962 cars, like the Brun_Motorsports_Daytona_1986 have a skin.ini and a ui_skin.json (and no .rcd). This may have to be dealt with differently.

12. Daniele Vidimari

These are Assetto Corsa's files :D
    Are you sure you did not download a skin pack for AC?

13. a25box

a25box Registered

Oh oh...I only have rf2.
    Someone in RaceDepartment put this in the rf2 download section.
    OK...how about the Holbert 14 with no ui_skin.json. Is that rf2?
    If so, how put in?

14. Daniele Vidimari

You mentioned a png file in the op, which i'm sure is preview.png. That, skin.ini and ui_skin.json are Assetto Corsa's file, so or you've downloaded a wrong skinpack or the author posted it in the wrong section.
    BTW, that Holdbert 14 is this? https://www.racedepartment.com/down...rsche-962c-at-12-hours-of-sebring-1985.13113/

The Veh file is a plus, you won't need it unless you do something more advanced like re-packing a mod.

Go in the car list, select the car where you want to add that custom skin, go in the showroom/tuning and click "create dir". Note that directory and go there. You will see a file called "alt", do not delete it.
    Add the DDS files you've downloaded in that folder. Rename them by adding "alt_" at the beginning, so you will have "alt_14_12HS85_Holbert" "alt_14_12HS85_Holbertextra2" and so on.
    Select the same car as before, go again in the showrom, click "reload" and find your new skin through the let/right arrow in bottom-right of the screen.

15. Daniele Vidimari

Ok wait, i tried and of course a name like "alt_14_12HS85_Holbert" can cause some issues, too many numbers, so look how i renamed them:

[​IMG]

here we go
    [​IMG]

Since i guess the Group C mod for AC is a conversion, I'm gonna check if the DDS files are the same, if so, you will be able to use AC skins for rF2 as well (but probably you will need to adjust the saturation/brightness).

EDIT
    Nope they are different :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  16. a25box

a25box Registered

Thank you Krusti, I'll have to play with this tomorrow. In order to know where I'm heading:
    Does your last comment mean that this car WILL work (as you show the 14) but may be of different brightness?
    Or does it mean you later discovered that it WON'T work because it will show jumbled up like that last pic?

17. Daniele Vidimari

The latter, i tried a skin for the Assetto Corsa's Group C Porsche in rF2 and the result was the one in the spoiler, so you will not be able to use the AC skins you have, you can use only the ones for rF2 (like the Holbert).

18. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

a lot of the skins that are painted are zipped up into a file that extracts to the correct folder if you start the extraction in the correct location.
    like you extract the file to rF2 and it burrows down to find the proper folder. The safest way to test this method is to extract the file onto your desktop and then open the folder to see if the last one is associated with your car file. for example:
    rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\Bentley_Continental_GT3_2017

20. a25box

a25box Registered

Wow...thanks for the Holbert pack fsuarez79 I just need to have free time to put this in. Krusti, also thanks. davehenry- yes if one finds a download nicely packed I see how that would be the way to do it. Unfortunately most of these downloads come with loose files and no readme or file structure. You guys are great.