Latest Roadmap Update - October 2018

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2018.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Personally I ain’t fussed if the ai at release aren’t upto scratch for dlc packs, I’d much rather the actual dlc cars wasn’t released with features missing or not working properly, like mirrors or abs/traction lights.

I ain’t fussed about ai at all, I’d rather join a league and practice all week for the race, but ai is a big part of rf2 so yes you’re correct they should be polished before release too.

Got to cater to everyone if your you’re offering offline and online

I can understand the aspects like real road, tyre model etc always being a work in progress, but content shouldn’t be released until finished, some of what’s been released seems as though obvious things slipped through the testing net

2. Pales

Pales Registered

Some great points indeed. Especially agree with your sentiment regarding AI. Just so you’re all aware, I have over 250+ hours of RF2 and it is purely offline. I haven’t even touched the online aspect of RF2. It’s not that I don’t want too, I just found from all the videos I’ve watched online, it needs some serious work.

What I’d really be interested in hearing now is a outline of the roadmap, highlighting the upcoming features for next year. We’re only recieving drips and drapes each month at the moment, and a lot of it is isn’t even relevant to the technical development of the game. I hope they become much more transparent.

3. patchedupdemon

I haven’t been on rf2 long, but I’ve done many online races, I’ve only whitneesed one problem in one race, where someone disappeared for a second and reappeared two car lengths back causing me to hit him.

Apart from that it’s been as good as iracing for stability, but better racing imho

Maybeworth you trying it out if you like racing real people

bwana likes this.
  4. felthat

felthat Registered

happened to me this saturday :eek: for me entire game froze and car behind me rammed me hard :oops:

5. Comante

Comante Registered

No software can prevent impredictable results when a temporary connection problem break in.

proff chaos and bwana like this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@ Pales isnt the AI behavior a track issue ?

7. Pales

Pales Registered

Unfortunately not, no. Whilst the track does dictate the AI pathing, the actual physics is based within the car file. Some of the official content is very inconsistent.

8. patchedupdemon

It happened as another driver exited the sim, why that effected the driver I hit I have no clue

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You can ignore contacts above certain ping levels tho, when I was league admin I always set to ignore contacts above 400ms (default is 700 if I'm not mistaken). Problem is that the ping wont go up fast enough sometimes, and I dont think it will go up wen the game freeze tbh

10. lagg

lagg Registered

The server knows if a client takes too long to respond. In fact there is a parameter that converts the cars with lag in "not collidable".
    The problem of this parameter is that the car turns in collidable when reappears on track, and this happens in anywhere, sometimes with catastrophic consecuences.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know why the sparks didn't make it to rF2 from rF1, but it's been more recently said the old style looked crap (which, realistically, they did) so they don't want to put them back like that. This suggested something would make it in eventually, but no timeline. Another "let's do nothing until we do it 'right'" approach, but probably can't lay this at S397's door.

No, but let's keep it factual :)

Definitely no sparks, but there's been a 'scraping' sound for years now. It's not very loud, and not customisable, but it's there. It's also easy to be misled by things like onboard F1 footage where the (chassis-mounted) camera picks the noise up very well, probably too well.

This has literally been a thing in rF2 since its first release. It's part of the realroad system, the marbles haven't always been particularly visible (and sometimes still aren't, depending how the track is done) but the gathering of marbles and their effect on grip (defined in the tyre TGM files) has been there since day 1. As long as you don't run static realroad you've been getting this every time you play.

TJones likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

Thanks for clarifying some this for me, I’ve never heard anything that resembles scraping, but as it’s already there maybe it can be implemented better in the future.

Reguarding the marbles, is there a graphics setting that enables these, I’ve been doing some league races, real road natural progression, timescale at 2x, and tyre wear 2x, we have an hours practice then qualifying, race 1 reverse grid10mins then, race two normal grid 50mins yet haven’t seen any or felt marble effects if I go off line.

Never seen it mentioned so I just thought it wasn’t implemted

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, it's not obvious. It's easy to check though, load up the Brianza track (any decent straight will do, really), grab the Formula ISI 2012 cars, put ride heights at minimum and put all the packers on minimum (front and rear 3rd spring, all 4 corners), go to your audio settings and put Engine and Tyre sounds on 0. Then go out on track (careful not to spin, hard to control with no noise...) and as you gain speed you'll hear the wind noise build, then when you hit somewhere around 200kph you'll start to hear the scraping.

I'm pretty sure they're always shown, rather than tied to any particular graphics setting, but could be wrong. You don't tend to see them at driving speed unless the track is poorly done, you don't get that 'black' look when looking in the distance like you see in real life shots - the game doesn't (and probably realistically can't, or at least with good results) draw them that far in the distance. But if there's been a fair few laps done you should be able to drive very slowly around the outside of a slower corner and see marbles.

Grip loss isn't as big as it used to be in the official mods, originally full marbles lost you close to 10% grip, more recent official mods I've looked at it's down to only 2-4%, some popular third party mods even less, so it may not be clear when you're on them.

*Marbles are a little like rain - people want them in a sim, and for some people it's fantastic, but when you have league races with 20 people probably 3/4 of them get annoyed at sliding off the track when they make a mistake that puts them offline. So you fairly quickly tone it down. Rain you start by having a high chance of it, and decent rain, then after a race or two where everyone slides off you turn it down...

patchedupdemon likes this.
  14. patchedupdemon

Thanks again for the reply and sharing your knowledge.

15. patchedupdemon

For all of rf2s faults and missing aspects, for me there isn’t a sim out there that comes close to the depth of physics you feel while driving.

I run in a league with the formula Renault 3.5, I try to put in a hr atleast everyday, practicing for the race, and every week I find a new nuance of the physics, which I never felt before, the depth just seems bottomless.

I noticed for the first time that the tyres graphically show graining after a long race, I haven’t seen that in any other sim, and it’s not just fudged either, the tyres grain in different places depending on track, camber and pressures used.

Just imagine if s397 could add all the things we think are missing, there wouldn’t be a sim out there that could challenge rf2

I’m hopeful and excited for the future

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Bogdy, David O'Reilly and fsuarez79 like this.
  16. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Just wondering if you are working on the GT3 packs performance issues? At first they performed ok, but now, i can't run them. I get major stuttering and screen freezes. It's a shame, because they are fun cars to drive.

17. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Wasn't this the other way around? They needed major optimizations when they were first released, a lot of people complained but that got solved a while ago. I haven't heard about optimization problems in a while. I've been able to run 30 car grids with the GT3's with no issues for months now.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  18. patchedupdemon

What @fsuarez79 said, just a thought are you on Windows 10, the latest update which introduced fixes for the security issues for cpus, caused all my games to stutter, so I had to uninstall it and hide the update so it wouldn’t auto install again,and problem solved.

This update is even worst if you overclock your cpu as from what I’ve read it does something to the bios and gets rid of any overclock

19. Travis

Travis Registered

Overall performance of rF2 has improved however the GT3 pack remain a performance hog for me too, especially compared to the Endurance DLC which I find has no performance issues and is comparable to the ISI made cars in terms of system resource usage.

It was argued on the forum the GT3 cars used the same 3D models as AC hence the performance issues. I've no idea who is correct; all I know is the Endurance DLC runs a lot better at the exact same in-game settings.

As for the roadmaps, I continue to be impressed by S397 continued commitment to rF2. The UI has become a meme on many forums however we are talking about a small team developing a sim, not an army of people working on everything at once.

proff chaos and Balazs Magyar like this.
  20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The thing about scraping sound is that it generally comes from structural rigid chassis parts coming in direct contact with the ground. That cannot be quiet or subtle in my experience and, even less so in a Race Car that is generally devoid of dampening materials. Such noise resonates throughout the chassis and can be felt as well as heard, nothing subtle about it.

I've driven track-day prepped cars on bumpy country roads where chassis bottoming was a common event and the sound will raise every hair on your body when it occurs. :eek::)