A Single Freeze during Online Races

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MarcoSaupe, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Hi

since this summer, can't exactly point out since which update, maybe the one that came with the Endurance pack, in long Onlineraces, I get one single freeze during the race; the screen is frozen for about one second, then everything continues from exactly this point. The car does not continue to drive in the time the screen is frozen, it's as if I had pressed pause for a second.
    It never happened to me in our league that run until June, in the leagues that started at the end of August it now happens regularly - In one league we had three 3-hour races (GT3,GTE+LMP2 at Silverstone, Sepang, Sebring), there I had it exactly once in every race, in the other league we have 80 minutes races with the GT3s, there it happened to me the first time today.

Now the interesting thing is: it is not just me, others have exactly the same problem. In the league race today, I had a 60 minutes long battle with another driver for the win, until our pitstops we were always within one second of each other - so at one point in the race I was in the lead, had that freeze, and when the screen unfroze the other driver was in front of me. I managed to stay with him, and just 2 laps later, from one frame to the other he suddenly was right behind me again! We talked after the race and he had the same short freeze. So far nothing serious happened, but at the time of his freeze, it was very close...

We had the race streamed, so you can see my freeze here, at 1:06:20 in the Video (I'm the Bentley). The freeze of my opponent is not on camera.

Someone else seems to have that as well at 1:08:15, but I have not talked to him, so I don't know if it's the same.

I have server replay and my local replay available.

My computer is a Ryzen 2700X, 16GB, 970GTX, rF2 runs from SSD, Win 10 on a seperate SSD.

I never had it offline in practise or 15 minute test races, never during online practise and quali, but as I said, always exactly once during long races and now once during a 80min race.
    Since it happens to others as well, and sort of regularly, might there be a bug somewhere?

Thanks.

SmellySkidmark and datasting like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to help with early eliminations, are you running any third party plugins?

And out of curiosity, is the timing consistent at all? In the vid above it appears to be around 26 minutes into the race, do you find it's usually about that far in, or it varies a lot?

3. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

No Plugins, timing is not consistent, in the 3h races it happened much later.

4. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I've had this kind of freezes since fall 2017 (short, almost unnoticable freezes offline, longer freezes online. Not every race, but still quite often). I think it started after a big windows 10 update came out.

I could write a lot about what i've tried to find out what caused it or to fix it, but since i created a thread about that a while ago (sadly didn't get any solutions) i'll just post a link to that thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/bad-stutter-and-freezes-on-and-offline-in-vr.59855/

I've read about these issues from other people a lot, really hope someone will find out what's causing it. For some it seemed to help to edit some stuff in the config files (use thread for the ffb etc.), but i tried everything i've read about it so far and nothing helped. I'll just copy and paste that list from my thread:

- reducing graphical options (framerate is overall ok, with the new patch even a lot better)
    - increasing cpu priority
    - using the "use thread" option in the controller.cfg
    - updating drivers for sound, gpu, steering wheel etc. and bios, even tried some older drivers
    - overclocking my ram
    - cursing a lot
    - disabling CSW 2.5 P1 LEDs
    - putting the game on HDD and SSD
    - reinstalled Windows 10
    - connected the pedals (CSR Elite) directly to the wheel (CSW 2.5) and via USB to the pc

I don't have these freezes in any other sim (and i played them all: Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Automobilista, RaceRoom, Project CARS 1 & 2) or any other non sim game. rFactor 2 is in many ways still my favorite racing simulation, but i'm always scared to drive online because these freezes can cause serious crashes when i suddenly disappear and "respawn" inside another car which happened once. That didn't just ruin my race but the race of the other guy as well.

5. Marko

Marko Registered

I had few freezes. I could relate it to messages showing on screen. If anything is printed (like XXX leave the server or join) game freeze, and i even ended up 2 or 3 times behind, like i loose 1s. Also just before yellow flag, i see some latency kicking in.

6. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I had join/leave lag a while ago, but that got a bit better. Few months ago the weather changed from dry to rain during an online race and that caused for some players a huge lag. But for me it's not always a specific moment when it happens. Sometimes it happens quite randomly without any messages, sounds, force feedback effects. Just driving on a straight and suddenly the game freezes for a moment.

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Lately my rF2 is all messed up, keys 1 and 3 doesn't work anymore during replays (to increase/decrease FOV), CTRL+F to see FPS freezes rF2 completely and FPS drop, freezes during racing, etçª

Something very wrong is going on...

8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I was participating that race and also had a short moment a freeze. After that, I began to be faster in sector 1. Others report freezes with a duration of 3-4 sec. meanwhile.
    But I had also another strange phenomen: I joined practise rather late. With my race setup I was only able to drive 1.34 low , 2 or 3 trials out of the box for 2,3 laps. I couldn´t believe it. I´m not fast on that track but offline/online 1.33 low was possible before. And the grip now with 20 drivers on track should be better than anytime before.
    So.. I rejoined. Same setup, out, first lap 1.33.5, next 1.33.3... wtf
    Quali was reasonable as I did not care much about it, practise also.
    In the race my best times were 1.33.9xx, enjoying some slipstream, so again I hit the 1.34 barrier like in practise first time if you want. wtf... Joined server one day later again in the evening, same grip, same set - 5 laps in a row < 1.33.5 easily possible. Aborted but could have continued for some laps. McLaren looses 2kg fuel weight per lap, that makes up for some tire grip loss. I was alone this time.
    This is not first time I encountered a strange time loss of 0.8sec approx.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

2 weeks later, next Season race. Lags happened again for many Players. I think a few caused accidents. Fun Level Drops...
    Can someone tell me/us at least say how could we track down the cause? Is it Server? Is it Client? Is it both somehow? Plugins? Network? How can we find out?
    Thx for any help
    Stefan

10. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

Guys try this. We had this happen to our league and from doing the following it happens very rarely. All players in your league set your internet setting in game to ISDN/64. Doesn't matter if you, like me have a super fast internet, as the game doesn't require you to run it higher. I was the one getting most of the freezes because of my fast internet speed. I was explained way by one of our guru techs why it happens but over my head. Anyway it works for us on long, short what ever racer we run. Cheers

coasting&cruising and Alex72 like this.
  11. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I also get this 1 second freeze/stutter as well, but for me it happens in Practice, Qualify, Warmup and Race.
    It just seems to be random but only happens once at every track, every time RF2 is closed and then restarted (by me not server) it will happen again.
    I will try your suggestion Paulfield, fingers crossed.

My system,
    ASRock z370 K6
    i5 8600k
    16 gig ddr4
    GTX 1080

SS

Paulfield likes this.
  12. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Thx Paul. Sounds like the netcode is outdated. I may give it a try. However the solution should not be the 100th workaround to get it(rf2) working, but a close look into of the Developer.
    How do they want to run a competition sooner or later that way???
    Heck we want a sim that just works! Look improvements are nice but 2nd and useless after all if core is messed up!!

coasting&cruising and Paulfield like this.
  13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Just out of curiosity, when the freeze happens, is there someone leaving/or joining the server, this happens in the league I participate in, but it doesn’t effect me, but effects most others who are in the server

14. SmellySkidmark

Ahhh nope.
    Well not to me anyway.

SS

15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

No join or leaving here during those freezes.

16. RoWo

RoWo Member

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

We raced yesterday 3h, Marco like me with ISDN Settings, and we encountered freezes.
    E.g. Had a 1sec Freeze close to the breakzone after long straight…. not nice.. a bit later and ....

18. SmellySkidmark

I had the "Freeze" again last night in a league race, I feel bad for the 4 drivers following me as they all got caught up in my problem.
    For me it seems to be a CPU lagg on 1 core that causes the problem. (I have a log file from GPU-Z)
    So my question to everyone that has this problem, what CPU do you have? And does someone with the same pc setup not have this problem?

My system,
    ASRock z370 K6
    i5 8600k
    16 gig ddr4
    GTX 1080
    Samsung SSD 850 evo 500gig

SS

19. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Your cpu is better than my i5 4690k
    And yet I don’t have any such problems.
    Are you connected through WiFi, would it be worth connecting via Ethernet cable cat6 to see if it’s a connection problem rather than your hardware

I don’t know wether or not what I said above is applicable, but maybe someone more knowledgeable could say wether or not it’s worth a try.

I’ve also set connection setting to match my upload and download rate of my fibre broadband

Something like this used to happen with folks with a certain type of either internet provider or router,in iracing, to me it looks like you lost connection with the server or the prediction code

I may be talking outa my ass here because I have trouble remembering why this happens in iracing

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  20. SmellySkidmark

My old PC was a 4690k, and never had this problem.
    My wife's PC died, it was 8-10 years old and was already in the pipeline to be replaced. It died when we where talking about replacing it.
    Anyway she got my PC and I got a new one.
    It has always been connected via cable as the modem/router is less than 2 meters from the pc box.
    My internet connection is exactly as it was before the swap, so that's not the problem either.
    I'm thinking it may be the CPU or the power supply, as I said it was all new a few months ago. Like I said I do have a log file from an earlier occasion, in a txt file.

SS