GTX 1080 ti struggles!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

hehehe some shops just totally stoped sending stuff to where I live because the extra state tax is too damn high lol

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Indeed, I remember when you was crying here in forums about bad performance of your 6600K which was caused you using different types of ram which is clear indication which level your knowledge is about PC/CPU performance.
    You can believe as much you want youtube videos but keep in mind that I have done benchmarks 4th gen vs 8th i7`s with same multiplayer and ram speed in rF2 something you don`t have knowledge or hardware to do.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I changed my ram before even upgrading the CPU , didn't see much gains with ram alone but going from 6600k to 7700k was a nice improvement .

Wasn't crying , just asking ;) ive never said i knew shite about it but after watching and reading i made an informed decision and found similar improvements ;)

I do have the knowledge but not the hardware to do 4th Gen vs 8th Gen but can do 6th Gen i5 vs 7th Gen i7 .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I am speechless, it is amazing to hear different size of ram and MHZ don`t have performance impact. o_O

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im sure we will enjoy the silence :p
    Didnt see "MUCH" gains :rolleyes: The CPU change was substantial in comparison !

6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You have been spamming me a long time about CPU performance in rF2. I have done many benchmarks to convince you that CPU`s like Kaby Lake (7700k) and Skylake (6600k) has practically equal single core performance but I feel that in somehow you feel like your knowledge about PC / hardware performance is greater than my without having knowledge how to run simple benchmark.
    I hope that you have know that single core performance is important regarding gaming and as youtube guy perhaps you believe what Paul states at 10:10 about CPU single core performance when equal clock speeds are used Kaby Lake vs Skylake.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From some quick reading it seems you need to be self-employed in order to reduce your taxable income with work expenses (here you can claim more in that scenario, but it's not necessary). It also seems that the taxation system there is rather complex and with a different makeup to, for example, here, with actually lower personal income tax rates but higher tax rates on consumption.

This is obviously all terribly off-topic, but at least it's a break from Ari vs 2nd.

ECAR_Tracks and Louis like this.
  8. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I have no idea, why this debate is taking so long.

Core i5-6600K has a base clock of 3.5GHz
    Core i7-7700K has a base clock of 4.2GHz

That is a gain of 20%, which can be considered substantial on its own.
    Additionally, the i7 has HyperThreading, bigger cache and supports higher RAM clocks.

If both CPUs had equal single core performance, Intel must have reduced the IPC of Kaby Lake by about 20%, which is not the case.

So why should upgrading from an i5-6600K to an i7-7700K not result in substantial performance gains ?

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Here in Brazil if you earn something more than 1k euros you are already paying max tax income that is 27,5%, getting to that sallary is not easy.
    On consumption the tax over tax can make the total go close to 100% over the price of a product. They do make a "false math" and make people believe they pay 50% instead

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've never once spammed you ! I asked a question months ago about CPU usage in rF2 and other sims and "you" came to the rescue with numbers and links telling me to just stay on my i5 and i wouldn't notice any difference with the i7 upgrade ! Which was not actually the case as the i7 made a substantial difference and im happy i didnt listen to your advice back then and went with my gut and other sources for advice ;)
    Anyway this is kinda off topic in a GTX1080Ti struggles thread and we will never agree so let's just leave it here ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Max Dralle likes this.
  11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You obviously haven't read post #178 and didn't watch video from post #186.
    When equal clock speed is used i5 6600k and i7 7700k have practically equal single core performance.

CPU Cache is an area of fast memory located on the processor. IntelĀ® Smart Cache refers to the architecture that allows all cores to dynamically share access to the last level cache. 7700K has 4 cores, 8 thereads and 8 MB SmartCache and when 6600K has 4 cores,4 threads there is no need to have more than 6 MB SmartCache.

Look video at 10:10 from post #186 when 6600K and 7700K are running at 4.6 GHz and you have the answer about single core performance 6600K vs 7700K.

12. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Exactly, they have an almost identical IPC.
    My point was that they do not have the same clock speed, but the i7 is clocked 20% higher by default.

The addition of hyper threading also results in better overall performance (or less performance loss, depending on how you look at it), because there are so many tasks running in the background nowadays, that I consider a quad core CPU as the bare minimum for any Windows environment.

Do you have an idea, how many background tasks and services are running on a standard windows installation ?
    Let alone anti virus software, browser, chat programs, media players etc.

The bigger L3 cache of the i7 might also come into play, but that obviously depends on the actual workload.

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Indeed they have an almost identical IPC and so do also 4th gen Intel CPU`s.
    My point was that when they do have same clock speed there is no practically FPS lost when you are playing rF2. I did benchmark
    i7 4770k @4.6 GHz, 1080ti vs i7 8700k@4.6 GHz, 1080ti in rF2 earlier this year and there was no practically FPS lost. I also posted my benchmark to some topic in this forum but I don`t remember which one it was.

How to manage Windows or if you like to stream etc when you are playing is different story and it is not relevant to my statement.

14. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

No problem, I can live with that and I don't think, my statements contradicted that claim... :)

I still think that upgrading an i5-6600K to an i7-7700K will come with a noticeable benefit, because I don't think that rF2 will be the only task the CPU is supposed to handle.

Anyways, I guess everything is said about this (side-) topic and everybody should be able to draw his/her conclusion.

Cheers!
    Max

2ndLastJedi and Ari Antero like this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Many modern console games are coded to take advantage of above four threads since PS4 and Xbone have something like six cores, so it doesn't surprise me that there is an obvious FPS advantage for an eight thread i7 versus a four thread i5. In rF2 it's not the case, or at least I have not seen evidence that more than four threads would make any particular impact in rF2.

Ari Antero likes this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Unless windows and background tasks are using more CPU causing usage to be at 100 % like i am seeing when i load in my 6600k !

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@2ndLastJedi I don't know what you've got running in the background, but my quad-core at 2.8MHz ran out of single-thread performance before it ever struggled across all 4 cores (in rF2).

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Windows 10 , MSI Afterburner , HWInfo , Steam , Oculus Home 2.0 and all other crap that is running normally . Idle is between 1-2% but have seen 100% quite a lot while playing before upgrading to 7700k , now I never see above 50% ;)

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

100% CPU usage with 6th gen CPU is placebo. Most likely it is broken hardware or user issue.

4th gen I7 4770K@ 4.4 GHz. Single core 2640
    I7 4770k SC.jpg

8th gen I7 8600K@ 4.4 GHz. Single core 2645
    I7 8700k sc.jpg

As you can see above I7 4770K and I7 8700K have practically equal single core performance with same clock speed.

I7 4770K CPU load in rF2.
    I7 4770k CPU load.jpg

I7 8700K CPU load in rF2.
    I7 8700k cpu load.jpg

Both above pic`s are with rF2 max settings, same resolution and same wheel and pedals etc and as you can see I7 4770K has better CPU utilization in rF2 than I7 8700K, why ? God only knows;)

rF2 uses one core to physics and one core to graphics and sound, pic below CPU #0 and CPU #2.
    8700k CPUID.jpg

When 4th gen I7 4770K don`t bottleneck as you can see from pic`s and when it has practically same equal single core performance and FPS in rF2 as 8th gen I7 8700K and when you are not streaming or running loads of apps etc why should you upgrade your CPU/PC ?
    Of course everybody should draw own conclusion but I would use my money to better graphics card etc if I had limited amount of money to use.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    stonec likes this.