Post processing setting cripples FFB

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by diabolus79, Oct 11, 2018.

1. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

Hi, I have a Fanatec CSWv2.5 and was trying to find a good FFB setting because of the way GT3 pack's lackness of alive FFB feel from the day I bought it. I asked for recommendations but none of them worked till tonight.

I was having issues with very ugly reflections in Interlagos in rain and decided to fiddle with post processing settings in the main launcher and when I set post processing to none from high everything changed, FFB evolved into something else!

I have a Ryzen 2700x/GTX1080ti computer and now I can't use any post processing effects, I am not sure if this issue is considered a bug or not but I wanted to let you know.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

a-lot of users do not enable any Post Processing except when they want to make those 'depth of field' screen shots.

3. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

I wish that was stated as a sticky/PSA or something.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have a look in the Controller.JSON and at the end of the Force Feedback section you'll find these lines:
    "Use thread":false,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with some drivers"

Change the false to true.
    Make sure you don't delete the : and ,

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

It was already set to "true".

6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you, whilst driving, done Ctrl + C to bring up the CPU/GPU graph.
    Green is for Graphics, Purple is for Physics
    The green bar is ok to go all the way to the right but if the purple bar goes all the way, or close to, the right then your CPU is over worked.
    This is how it should look. :cool:
    If the purple bar was like the green bar :(
    4-cores.jpg

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

PP is performed on the GPU and should have negligible impact on CPU usage. Even if something in graphics thread consumed CPU, the physics and FFB thread should always be separated. So in theory at least it's impossible for a graphics feature to impact FFB.

Louis, The Iron Wolf and Ari Antero like this.
  8. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

Threading was seperated on my case, I don't know how this is happened but as I wrote above changing post processing from high to none have a huge impact on my machine ffbwise. I just wanted s397 to know this and maybe this thread may help other Fanatec users as well so they can try this as a workaround.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@stonec That makes perfect sense.

@diabolus79 One last thing, have you got the latest firmware and drivers for your wheel?

10. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

Yes, latest Fanatec driver and firmware for all my peripherals.

11. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

Things are getting weird, I changed to Mclaren Gt3 and it was lifeless again tonight, I changed PP from none to ultra for just the heck of it and FFB became alive again. This has really became boring for me and I appreciate the help from people but I'd like to hear from s397's guys, don't they have any support people to enlighten me about this issue? Thanks.

mesfigas likes this.
  12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Maybe they are equally baffled as us. :D Though it sounds like something i should test myself and see if i get differences as well.

13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Maybe it’s the act of exiting and restarting the sim that is fixing/unfixing the ffb, rather than the pp effects
    Have you tried plugging your wheel into a different USB port

Also you can bind a key to reset the ffb, see if that helps

Filip, Louis and Alex72 like this.
  14. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

I tried changing usb ports and FFB reset before, didn't work. It may be exiting and entering but it has always been like this since I bought the pack. If I don't change the PP setting it stays like that, I've been trying to overcome this issue since I bought the GT3 pack and as I've stated above it was a coincidence that I narrowed it down to this.

15. Louis

Louis Registered

Maybe in video settings changing to auto sometimes instead your actual gpu could overload your system making cpu doing extra work and affect ffb? Just a wild guess.
    Is your fps steady in both cases? (getting same fps count when you find weird ffb and when you had good ffb)
    Im no expert. If it seems illogical or nonsense move to the next post :D

patchedupdemon likes this.
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Even if it got fixed after you changed PP twice, it was probably something else that triggered the fix. Impossible to say for sure with a sample size of two occurrences. It could be that simply opening and saving the video config does something, like the above poster suggested. I get randomly a lack of FFB signal in my wheel when pressing "race" button, but it has always fixed itself by escing and pressing race again.

17. diabolus79

diabolus79 Registered

@Louis
    I don't think so, fps counter is showing 150-200 fps depending on PP setting without any hiccups.

@stonec
    Maybe, I just hope that s397 can replicate the issue and introduce a proper fix.

18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Do you have a t300 by any chance, quite regularly my ffb signal is lost when I enter and exit the pits, but is fixed when I press the rest ffb button, just curious to know what wheel you have

19. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

If everybdy would put the specs in the signature you wouldnt have to ask

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Just so you know, if I, and most likely others, view the forum on the phone people's sig do not show unless the browser has the option to view the desktop site.

patchedupdemon likes this.