Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

no doubt, that would be great,the mirrors in movements will remove many fps.

2. EricW

EricW Registered

For me the same problem.
    I suspect that to be a oculus driver issue though.
    Just read in this thread that the beta 2 of oculus home gives the option to unload home during playing.
    Hope we get a good overall VR (UI and settings) implementation soon in Rf2, although I love the way it drives, this part of the SIM looks really bad still....
    Almost silly and definitely not worthy.

adamfarmer likes this.
  3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

You might have to —untick— administrators permission , Also make sure your time zone in oculus settings is correct .

4. Lance Link

Lance Link Registered

Guys, couple questions about open composite. 1. You have to make the .ini file correct? I didn't see on in my files. 2. I tried to make one and change the SS but it tells me fist line error. If this is correct way to do it can someone give me a example of what the line should read? I found a example and followed it but it didn't work. same result. 3. If I don't use the .ini file and I make changes in oculus tray or debug tool to SS will it work in open composite? Thanks.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

You will find an example here : https://forum.studio-397.com/index....hread-settings-tips.55249/page-78#post-962368

Yes, I use the Debug tool to put 2 in the pixel override (=SS). And it's working

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

OK so oculus forced an update on me then windows forced an update then stemVR forced an update and now I can't run rF2 in VR.
    My Oculus still works with Oculus games but not with Steam VR. I get an error message saying compositor not launching error -203, have checked steam with no happy outcome.
    Have tested Rift with Oculus software and OK
    Can't see any steam stuff in rift (just black screen) no error when using say "The Lab" or steam vr dashboard just no vision.
    Have verified all steam files no problems.
    Can anyone shed some small amount of light on what I can do next?
    I am pretty dirty at the moment having spent cart loads of cash on this simulator
    PC $$$
    Sim Software $
    FFB wheel $$
    Pedals $$
    Motion Platform $$$$$
    VR Headset $$
    Other ancillary equipment $$
    All this adds up to around ten grand and now I can't drive the thing because....steam.:mad::mad::mad:

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Are you starting Oculus home before Steam VR? It appears that last update made that mandatory.

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yep tried that thanks @The Iron Wolf . I then did a re--install of the Oculus and SteamVR and held my tongue on the left while standing on one foot with an aluminium hat on and now it seems to be working again. :confused:
    I wish S397 would do the VR in Oculus native, it would simplify things just a little. (wishing on a star for that):(
    I'm still dirty on the fact that I have no control over my own computer (I guess that's what license agreements are for, to take the control away from the end user):(

BTW you are correct I think, it appears you have to now run oculus home to get it to work.:eek::eek:

felthat likes this.
  9. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Been having a go with the latest Samsung Oddesey. Image quality and tracking are extremely good.
    Because of the resolution bump it was the first time i was not bothered by the screendoor effects.
    Now comes the cool part,
    I can step out of the car and walk around it, I admit I have 40m2 mancave.
    Can even sit down on my knees next or in front to the car, far away from the steeringwheel and inspect my frontwheels or nose. Or even have a small walk on the track!
    My whole room is tracked perfectly.
    Now the stupid part comes:
    I see a headless driver, no rear wheels and no rearspoiler!!!
    Half the car is missing, such a immersion killer.
    Was jumping behind the bariers when a car came along very fast, it really was that immersive.
    So really hope developers mark those details missing car parts as visible, also at the cockpit level.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    EricW, vittorio and Bernardo like this.
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    GrimDad and Narrowbackwing like this.
  11. Narrowbackwing

An excellent insight , very interesting review.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Thanks for the review.
    As an oculus owner who's never tried another device it does make you wonder what the others are like.

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Yes, especially since Oculus did not announce anything interesting, I decided to give competition a try. But now I have a device to sell on my hands :D Oh well! But, fun doesn't stop there - after recent Oculus update I am beginning to wonder how Vive is :)

14. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

Yep, I found the same issue yesterday. Previously I'd never had to run the Oculus app in order to run rF2. I would just set the Oculus debug tool to a SS multiplier of 1.5ish (and Steam VR to 100% so it wouldn't add to the SS factor). No need to open Oculus app - hunky dory!

Yesterday though I just had a black screen in the HMD. At first I thought it was a hardware issue with my headset or lead, then farted around for ages uninstalling and reinstalling Steam VR / Oculus etc etc all to no avail. Eventually I worked out that there must have been an update to the Oculus software as Oculus games were working fine, just not Steam VR games. Turns out this is the case as rF2 now works fine so long as the Oculus app is loaded. As soon as I close the Oculus app, rF2 disappears again from the headset.

Following on from this, someone tonight recommended the .dll file discussed above to remove the Steam VR requirement and boost performance. I tried this, and yes it appears that Steam VR is no longer required for rF2 to run, happy days! Probably due to this latest Oculus update however, the opencomposite.ini part of the mod is NOT working. The parameters in this file have no effect on the game, as it seems that the Oculus debug tool settings still override whatever is specified in opencomposite.ini.

So to summarise, by using the dll I was able to run rF2 even after uninstalling Steam VR, so at least this was no longer running in the background (confirmed by checking 'services' in Windows' Process Explorer). However the Oculus app is now required instead due to the recent update. I guess this is still a net 'win' situation, but probably not as much as it would have been prior to the recent Oculus update.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  15. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Yet to test, but sure will maybe this weekend.
    "OculusHomeless - Use Dash without Home 2.0 -
    Why?

Home 2.0 really is awesome, but it eats up around 2.5GB RAM and 1GB VRAM on a UE4 environment (on a default home setup), while using CPU and GPU time even when you're just using Oculus Desktop to watch movies or play 2D games. It also takes a few seconds to load back every time you close a game (if you don't use an SSD).

Sometimes you may just want to use Dash without loading all that."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

The Iron Wolf and Narrowbackwing like this.
  16. Narrowbackwing

BA845A7B-FC4B-47E5-A0BE-C20EEF4D60D3.png No home running, so should have color background like this , will try tonight.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. blagger

blagger Registered

Maybe this is interesting for someone:
    I had the problem that after a few minutes ASW stopped working if it did work at all, lots of stuttering and 50-70 fps, instead of fixed 45 fps. This happend with the new dll and also with SteamVR. I didn't matter if I use the Auto setting or force ASW by pressing control + num3 or using the Oculus Debug Tool.
    Now I found how to get rid of the stuttering and have constant 45 fps with ASW. I have to select "force 45fps, ASW enabled" in the Oculus Debug Tool. Then in the game when I am on the track I press alt-tab to highlight the Oculus Debug Tool. So rF2 is out of focus. This can be checked by pressing esc when on the track. If nothing happens, so keyboard is not recognized by rF2, then rF2 is not in focus. Interestingly, now ASW works perfect, no stuttering, really good performance.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  18. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

enjoy your CV1, is old stuff, old generation of VR, after six months of Odyssey is totally imposible to go back to Rift.

and even more on rF2 , where Odyssey shines at its best.
    is openVR what really sucks on some games anyway.

marvelharvey and Richard Hessels like this.
  19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys, does anyone know how to get rid of ads/promotions window in the new Oculus Home? According to Oculus forums, it is possible, but no matter what I do (minimize or pin/unpin) this window keeps coming back the next time app starts.

sherpa25 likes this.
  20. elbo

elbo Registered

Was looking forward to ASW 2.0 but it apparently will not be for us rf2 enthusiasts . Seems ACC will have it out of the gate.