GTX 1080 ti struggles!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not telling you that the problem is on your end, but my experience is different from yours and I play the same sims as you. Sims can perform very different on different hardware and software combinations and it should be pretty clear by now that not all sims are doing the same things. I get stuttering in AC and PCars 2 aswell, so it might just be that those sims are better optimized for your hardware - who knows. Now you have two options: try to adjust your graphic settings to get stable 60 FPS in all conditions or just stop playing. There are some graphic settings that give some quite good performance gains with minimal differences. And in general, there is no text editing needed at all with rF2 as the graphic settings are quite diverse. Give the AA settings, POST FX, shadows and reflections a go. The rain quality can also give substancial performance hits. But as said in the other thread, without your gfx settings it is difficult to give final judgements

2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

As you wish:

[​IMG]

28 FPS in a 1080 ti, huh? It's 1080p, let alone try higher resolutions, I'll probably get 0 FPS. If I had driver issues the other games will run like crap as well but it's not the case.

4. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

it was like this:
    [​IMG]

I tried lower everything but the impact is marginal. There's something very wrong here.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@ECAR_Tracks

If you have a good connection and an SSD, I would cleanly uninstall RF2 and reinstall it properly.
    I will not touch the player.json file at all.
    I would reinstall the latest graphics driver.

But you're right on one point: RF2 is very far the most poorly optimized simulation, and the performance update has changed almost nothing.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  6. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

EDIT: Just noticed you posted a screenshot, so ignore the first part of my post.
    You don't provide any figures on the FPS you get, or the resolution so it is hard to compare, but just in case, this is what I get with a 1080 TI, at 1440p max settings on everything (except AA, its at level 2) on Silverstone with a full grid (all visible) of Mercedes GT3:

Solid 93 FPS with the full grid visible

upload_2018-10-6_15-6-58.png

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  7. Louis

Louis Registered

Anyone in the thread already suggested to you to check if you graphic card is properly seatead or is in the right pci express slot?
    If dont, check with some graphic card monitor software if the speed is x16 (if shwoing x8, x4.. you will get low fps)

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The settings look ok so far. The wierd thing is that you get worse performance than me with a GTX770 and a Core i5. I mean, I run more with medium - high settings and have 1440x900, but the difference shouldn't be that huge. Have you checked that you aren't running PP or AA at max? The game still looks decent with medium AA and the PP quality differences are barely noticable while driving. The biggest difference with PP are the light sources but that's about it. Max PP should only be used for screenshots anyway.

On another note: if you are changing graphic settings don't forget to delete the stuff in the cbash and shaders folder under rFactor 2\UserData\Log. Those can cause issues if you don't recompile the shaders with different graphic settings.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

Like this screenshot. If is showing something like this, it will have big fps impact. I learnt this ages ago with a personal issue like that. Some times a bump in the pc could cause this if graphic card isnt properly seated
    images (119).jpg

10. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Another one, this time in 1080p resolution:

114 FPS average

upload_2018-10-6_15-17-16.png

If you dont get the same or near the same performance, then something is clearly wrong on your end.

As others have mentioned, an usual culprit is your PCI Express mode (Should me at 16x), other times is the CPU, Rfactor is very demanding in terms of CPU and PCI Express usage, so a 1080 Ti has to be paired with a good processor, specifically one with good single thread performance.

Post your full system specs here (motherboard, CPU, RAM, RAM speed, etc) and maybe we can figure out what is wrong

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  11. Louis

Louis Registered

Wait for the new materials and lighting and you'll see another wave of fps hunters threads :D

DrivingFast likes this.
  12. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Louis: yes, it's PCI-E X 16 speed, the red slot.
    [​IMG]

Camilo, look my reproduction of your scenery below:
    [​IMG]

Less than a half of your system with lower res (1080p). Your FOV is lower, but still...

Hitmaker, I disabled Post-Processing, very marginal gain.

Reinstal from scratch seems to be coming.

13. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Camilo, CPU it's not up to date but it's single core powerful.

[​IMG]

14. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Mine is saying x4

15. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Mmmmm, I just noticed something....

Check my GPUz PCI express reading: upload_2018-10-6_15-43-44.png , notice the difference? I think in your case you are running it with only 4 PCI express lanes, instead of the full 16 that I run ( I think 16 is the max).

This could be due to BIOS configuration, installing the card in the wrong PCI slot ( some motherboards have many slots, but only one of them has 16 lanes, the rest usually "share" or limit the lanes used), or maybe your CPU is using them with other device (a PCI express SSD maybe?)

So, please post the model of your motherboard, your CPU model and how you installed your card, I think that will be the answer.

2ndLastJedi and patchedupdemon like this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

Thats your problem. You should "reseat" (i dont know if it is a word) the graphic card. Your should say x16

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

OK, it is not the CPU then, the single thread performance is almost the same as mine, so it has to be the number of PCI express lanes used by your GPU

18. Louis

Louis Registered

After the @

19. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Going to research why my GPU is only x4 and how to leap it to x16.

Thanks for now!

20. Louis

Louis Registered

Sometimes a bump in the pc could cause this (at least happened to me once or two) because my rig is very messy and suscetible to things like that happen.
    Just take your graphic card and put in the slot again should solve your problem