Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Puffpirat

Puffpirat Registered

Yeah it's great fun. And with ASW forced it's always smooth. Would be cool if the lagginess with ASW auto would be fixed somehow, that would be the best of both worlds :)

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

If your framerate is close to 90 try Ctrl + numpad 1 to unlock the framerate and turn ASW Off !
    You won't get the massive dips to 45 and framerate will just do its thing which for me is the smoother option as i generally sit close to 90 so the dips to 45 feel terrible using ASW on .

3. Puffpirat

Puffpirat Registered

I think that feels even worse personally. I mean I am aiming for a constant 90+ as it's a racing game and more FPS is just better obviously, but ASW is a nice safety net, so it would be cool if it worked how its supposed to. On Sebring for example with some optimized settings it would only really kick in at the race start. From lap 2 on it's at a constant 90 as the field stretches out. That's imo what ASW is for, buffering those worst case situations.

And the dips into 45 fps shouldn't be as bad as they currently are, what you can check if you force 45FPS ASW on, way smoother, than ASW auto. Which really is my only niggle ;)

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I pretty much sit in high 80's or solid 90 so when it does its ASW thing it fell instantly worse and has artifacts that I don't like .
    Maybe if ASW worked better it would be a viable solution for me but atm I just Ctrl 1 and don't notice any stutters or artifacts .
    Yeah ive tried ASW in all its configurations and having it Off works best for me .

5. Puffpirat

Puffpirat Registered

Ok I'll try the off setting too :)

I just wanted to point out a flaw in the system, which is either on rFactors or SteamVRs rendering side. I was hoping a dev would read it and acknowledge the problem, because if it's SteamVR related I guess it's easier for a dev to point this out to Valve than for me as a mere player :)

I have friends in my league that play rf2 on not so powerful hardware and they say it drives well (physics) but performance in VR is bad. Which it isn't, it just feels bad. I brought the forced ASW option forward to them and some are way happier now. Constant 90 fps isn't really an option below a 1080Ti sadly.

6. patrickkluiters

patrickkluiters Registered

Whats is ASW?
    I don 't have VR but triples. Neverthless it is interessting to get a better fps and get rid of the envorimental stuttering.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

"Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) is a frame-rate smoothing technique that almost halves the CPU/GPU time required to produce nearly the same output from the same content. Like Asynchronous Timewarp (ATW), ASW is automatic and enabled without any additional effort from developers."

FYI it's VR only not available for triples.

8. patrickkluiters

patrickkluiters Registered

Thanks for your quick reply!

MarcG likes this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

I'm quite late with this. Sorry.... but just to clarify, do I copy openvr_api (32-bit) to bin32 or just to rf2 folder? I understand openvr_api (64-bit) would be to bin64.

Or should it be:
    for 64-bit, copy only 64-bit version to both folders: rF2 and bin64,
    for 32-bit, copy only 32-bit version to both folders : rF2 and bin32?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You just need the 64-bit DLL, placed in the rfactor2 folder overwriting the original (back up first) and the Bin64 folder again backing up the original first.

sherpa25 likes this.
  12. blagger

blagger Registered

Sometimes ASW doesn't work for me. I get 50-60 fps and therefore stuttering with "forced ASW"- or "Auto"-setting, instead of constant 45fps. This behaviour seems random, sometimes forced ASW does work and I get 45 fps.
    This problem only occurs in rF2. It doesn't matter if I use SteamVR or the new OpenComposite dll.

13. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Well clearly i am doing something wrong. With steamvr i'm getting 90 FPS and 50% clearance. With this ini file i get 45 FPS and -35% clearance. I replace the ini file in the main directory and bin64.
    Maybe something to do with opencomposite.ini? I don't understand that part, I haven't done anything with that.

On startup, OpenComposite searches for a file named opencomposite.ini, first next to the openvr_api.dll file, and if it can't find
    that, then it looks in the working directory (usually in the same folder as the EXE). If no file is found, that's fine and all
    the default values are used.

No idea what they mean.

14. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Btw am i doing something wrong with the mirrors? They are useless and don't show anything really, doesn't move with your head movement either.

15. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

never mind
    you can adjust your mirror .
    In settings think Miscellaneous , control and seat movement left / right .

Magzire likes this.
  16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Yes, with some settings you will get higher FPS with SVR, but is it smoother? Not in my experience. Just because SVR renders frames ASAP does not make experience fluid. I measured SVR vs OOVR with 2.0/200% SS, and I had jerky 90FPS with SVR and 45FPS + ASW with OOVR entirely smooth. Lowering SS to 1.5 gave me 90FPS in both cases, but again, SVR wasn't smooth at all, but OOVR was silky smooth. With this .dll rF2 runs best of any sims I tried.

The more I investigate this the more it looks like SVR has one or two bugs in how it submits frames to Oculus SDK and likely does some throwaway work, and they simply have to fix it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Puffpirat likes this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

After doing this how can i raise Supersampling ?

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What do i do with this now ?

19. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

With the file? I believe you just create one in the bin64 folder. Supersampling is the value you set in the file. Unless you're asking about something else?

20. elbo

elbo Registered

this is one of the sour points of VR, unlike with TrackIR the mirror perspective does not change when you move your head...it sucks.