Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I think you also need to replace the same file in the bin64 folder (or bin32 if you are using the 32 bit version)

Narrowbackwing and Carlos Sancho like this.
  2. EricW

EricW Registered

Did not test this, but i start it up from Sim commander 4, that points to the startup exe of RF2 in it's install Dir.
    so try to start it up from the desktop or install DIR, instead of using the steam client.

For me it's a serious boost in performance Btw!!

3. Carlos Sancho

Carlos Sancho Registered

That's it!! Thank you!!

TheMattyOnline likes this.
  4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Depco, Neawoulf, GrimDad and 4 others like this.
  5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Its much smoother now to drive with ASW. I noticed less judder. Even under 45fps its now driveable. With SteamVR the judder under 45fps was so horrible that driving was impossible for me. I testet Sebring with 40 visible AI in front of me on the full course in the rain. Shortly after the start a got 45fps with my 1070 with my settings, whats ok for me. My 3770k @4.2 limited the framerate the most time, in dry conditions, my GPU had more headroom.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im quite sick atm and my brain aint working right !
    What are we doing here ? Running rF2 with rift without Steam or without Oculus ?
    Whats the easiest way to do this ?
    Sorry for being stupid but hey I'm sick .

7. EricW

EricW Registered

what i understand of it. ..
    Normally RF2 uses the SteamVR environment and drivers to make use of a VR headset. Be it a oculus or other headset.
    By using this DLL OpenVr will be used instead of steamVR.
    Headsets supporting openVR will use their Own drivers to run in openVr.
    Get well soon

Narrowbackwing and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  8. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I think you are right. I tested it yesterday quickly, and working like that (no SteamVR starting with this new DLL, direct communication between Game & VR Headset)

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  9. blagger

blagger Registered

This is a massive improvement. The stuttering is finally gone!
    This should be included in the game by Studio 397.

10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Marcel has stated they are following developments and have helped the developer of this with some info.
    I think it's a little early to be talking about including anything in the game, but early testing i have also found positive.
    If nothing else, it seems to indicate what many of us have believed in that SteamVR has been holding back performance of VR in rfactor 2 at least for Oculus users.
    Let's see how this develops i guess.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im stupid , could someone make a quick vid showing what they did to get this working please ?
    I can get Oculus to not run but not Steam :(

12. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

2ndLastJedi and Narrowbackwing like this.
  13. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@2ndLastJedi I found that I had to download the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and replaced both in the relevant folder. Ensure that you 'move' the versions already there [so that you have the originals] before doing this.

Everyone else - the download instructions indicate that on startup, the dll looks for opencomposite.ini, and if not found uses the default settings. The instructions then indicate that you can specify a number of options in this ini file. However, no such file exists on my system. Has anyone else seen this file?

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I had to create opencomposite.ini and put it with each dll in rFactor 2\ and rFactor 2\Bin64\
    Not sure which one (of either file) rF2 is using but opencomposite.ini is working.

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I wrote little batch files to install and uninstall it.

Attached Files:

Ernie likes this.
  16. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Yes, just created my own opencomposite.ini file and added the lines enableAudio=off and supersampleRatio=1.2 and now have sound through speakers. The only location that I have used for the ini file is the Bin64 folder.

Narrowbackwing and Seven Smiles like this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im totally GPU limited (1080Ti) atm while my CPU (7700k) seems to be using the 3rd thread mostly up to around 35% so im not sure any of this will help anyway ! What this reduce CPU and RAM (16GB 3200) load only ?

18. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

2ndLastJedi I am running a 980 Ti and i5 @4.2 GHz with no real issues and 90 FPS [most of the time] with Steam VR. My track, opponent detail etc was on medium, but running steadily. If you are GPU limited with your 1080 Ti, something else is going on in your system. I cannot say that I have seen much difference with the OpenVR, but I have only just started and have put my track detail to High with no impact. I use that PC only to run rF2, so have very little else running in the background.

I have found the advice contained in the following to be useful:
    Game should be run on borderless mode for more stability under ALT+TAB and it is also less vulnerable for pop-ups (there are some people who perform better on fullscreen, do take this and all below as suggestions not rules)
    • Ingame FPS should always be limited to 5-15% below your minimum measurable framerate. Without the limit, your PC is much more vulnerable for any interruptions by other programs and also actions ontrack, plus simply varying frametime from corner to corner, making the experience unsmooth even if running high FPS.
      Most importantly, if you are CPU or memory bandwith bottlenecked, you will experience serious stutters and going out of real time if you reach 100% CPU usage. Plus its simply a waste of electricity if you are pumping out over 200 frames per second. Just like you can tell a difference between 60hz and 120hz but not really between 120hz and 144hz monitors, you will hardly notice if your FPS is 150 or 550. Just keep it over your screens refresh rate and generally above 100 for good frametime.
      FPS limit along with other tweaks can be adjusted ingame via the player.json, located in /Steam/steamapps/common/rfactor2/userdata/player, openable by notepad
      Command for FPS limit is "Max Framerate":[number]
      Here are several more settigns in player.json that you cannot change ingame
    • "Repeat Shifts":1, - even with a new wheel, its still good to apply a small doubleclick protection to not blow up your engine etc.
    • "Head Physics":0,
      "Head Rotation":0,
      "Cockpit Vibration Freq1":0,
      "Cockpit Vibration Freq2":0,
      "Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0,
      "Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0,
      Any additional simulated head movement that is not your own VR head tracking is a gimmick and distorts the feeling of the car.
    • "Load Opponent Cockpits":false, - if you dont use driver swap, then this saves a bit of loading time and memory, few FPS
    • "Garage Detail":0.01, - lowers the detail of garages, so reduces the fps drop when passing them
    • "Max Headlights":2, - self explainatory. Some people like to run headlights even in daytime, you dont need to see any of that, except for the 2 cars around you at most.
    • "Max Visible Vehicles":10, - big boost, set the number half of how many people you think you want to divebomb in the race.
    • "Pitcrew Detail Level":1, - shows only your pitcrew in the pits, saves few fps and makes spotting yours easier.
    • "Rearview_Back_Clip":65, - limits mirror render distance with the number being meters. WARNING - HUGE FPS BOOST
    • "Steady Framerate Thresh":0 - something you dont need
    • "Soft Particles":0,
      "Spark Flow":0,
      "Smoke Flow":false,
      "Special FX":0,
      "Sun Occlusion":false,
      "Tire Emitter Flow":false,
      "Wind and Crowd Motion":false,
      "Lightning Probability":0,
      "Rain Drops":false,
      "Raindrop Flow":0,
      "Rainspray Flow":0
      A bunch of effects, but you dont need effects for performing in high level simracing esports
    • For races, I suggest disabling every unneccesary ingame plugin, like Motec data acquisition. Also disable replay saving which uses disk and memory bandwith and can create instability in highly populated and long races. Its good form even to disable the message centre from ingame display settings to not get disrupting chat and join messages during practice and qualifying, it also removes most of join lag when people enter the server.
    • I am not going to stop long on anything outside of the game, but obviously its a prerequisite that your operating system is completely stripped of anything unneccesary, processes, services, scheulded tasks, additional firewalls etc.
    • If you are running anything other than Windows 10, then stop and upgrade ASAP
    • If you are running rf2 on anything other than SSD, then stop and change ASAP
    • 1) Optmizing your OS

Straight to the point: if you cannot keep 0% CPU activity on your PC for an indefinite time when you are not doing anything, you are not ready for simracing!

If you have a fresh install of Windows 10, you close everything and open only the hardware monitor, you will see your CPU spiking more or less every once in a while. PC checking updates, installing updates, doing scheduled maintenance, antivirus, bla bla, this is all unacceptable and in many cases what will destroy your race.
      Keep an eye on the monitor, when you see a spike, open task manager and see what is hogging you. Windows own "resource monitor" is great for this too.
      Most activities can be disabled from windows own "task scheduler"

Even if you are clueless, enable system restore and play away. Thats how you learn, testing and googling. Repeat until your CPU usage is an absolute flat 0% when not engaging in any activity.

2) Making sure you are not thermal throttling or experiencing other hardware problems.

Especially this summer there were several guys here in GPVWC who were sitting in a 40c room with decent hardware, but it was throttling itself down because it was reaching dangerous temperatures. Software like MSI afterburner is perfect because it is always minimized and running, you can game away and when experiencing problems, you open it and see from the graphs what went wrong.
      Google your hardware and its thermal throttling points, usually for modern hardware 85c+, up to 99c on GPUs, but some old CPUs already throttle from 65c.
      You can easily tell this also by turning on the clock speed graphs, if they drop during gaming then the situation is critical and changes required.
      For your 65+W CPU you should always be running a non-stock cooler, for incredibly better cooling and also noise. How to optimize your airflow in the case etc you can google and find million YT videos about.

Narrowbackwing and Adrianstealth like this.
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

If you have even one CPU thread at 100% or close to 100%, you are CPU limited. rF2 should in almost every case be CPU limited with a GTX 1080 Ti unless you add pixel density to some ultra high number.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

This is something new & perhaps a must

I’m kind of thinking studio397 may be giving this some consideration to “hard wiring in” to rfactor2 when they can fit in

Watching closely in the meantime if it’s fairly easy to implement then it’s a must for post 1 in this thread for the benefit of the oculus users

Ps I know there’s more users that never ever visit the forums so importance on getting important & worthy things imbedded into rfactor2

Ernie and 2ndLastJedi like this.