CS-closed McLaren Shadow rFactor 2 Qualifier

Discussion in 'Official Competitions & Contests' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

@GiulioS I would remove the huge wobble effect you have on the cockpit (I think it's under "head movement" or something). It may not cost you lap time, but having that sort of distraction doesn't help. And as user above said, I would agree you lose time through Becketts. In Rudy's broadcast you can see he goes full throttle all the way until Becketts entry and then downshifts once to fifth gear. Setup looks pretty good, I think you can gain 0.5+ seconds from driving.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  2. John Cheall

John Cheall Registered

I keep getting booted when I join the server. I am guessing it's because RF2 takes such a long time to load via this steam competition gateway that it's causing some kind of timeout issue. How can I fix this please? 20180923140249_1.jpg

3. GiulioS

GiulioS Registered

Today I've tried to do some setup, tweaking the power-coast-preload of the differential. In a run I had gain 1 tenth and a half, but at the last chicane I hit the brakes and the car decided to spin. Honestly I'm not so sure I can gain again half a second only improving my driving. It's starting to become really frustrating... :mad:

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@GiulioS If it were easy, everyone would be doing it :D

5. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Welcome to the WALL. We all have the same outcome just at different time markers. It has always been interesting to me that once you meet the wall getting past it is the most frustrating experience in sim racing. That is what hotlapping does to you.
    I have studied telemetry and video for hours looking for the holy grail but simply find out the wall equals my level of skill. Further practice just reinforces the limit what ever the limitation I lose to the wall every time. Differences noted in 1kmh less speed through the corner are never able to be improved not equipment not game just me and my wall. For those that are gifted they are able to dismantle their wall one brick at a time for the rest of us just frustration. 10 lap race against human or AI and finishing last feels much better. Well done to the gifted I am in awe of your skill.

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

After i've joined the competition and made a few laps online, where my fastest laptime was a 1.41, i watched this thread and tried out some setup related suggestions from other users and also the uploaded setup from @Domino Duhan (thanks for that :)). And i also watched the, in this thread posted Video and also the one from Rudy van Buren (). When i saw Rudy van Buren sitting there and driving the car, i was astonished that he sits there very relaxed while driving and the car drives like on rails, with only some minor steering corrections.
    So i tried his setup, that you get when you watch the video at around minute 12 - 14, to get at least the same car settings.
    But no matter what i have tried, i could not reach a better laptime than a 1.36.
    I have to mention that in the past, in rfactor 1, i was not one of the fastest drivers, but i was always close to them.
    I know that rfactor 2 is more challenging to drive, but sometimes i also have the suspicion that the hardware is making a difference.
    When i look at the green and purple bars, that you can display with ctrl+c, everything looks fine.
    (Hardware is i5-6600K @ 3.50 GHz (4 core), 8GB Ram, Motherboard: Z170X-Gaming 7, AMD Radeon R7 370 with 4 GB Ram, Windows 7)
    But on track, i have the feeling that the things are a bit time lagged (i could not find a better term).
    The consequence is, that it's hard for me to gain constant laps, because the car feels and behaves different every lap.
    That includes, that the car generally feels more slippery as it looks when i, for example, watch the Rudy van Buren Video.
    I have to fight with the car a lot more than RvB.
    Can it be, that a better hardware can help to drive faster?
    Or is it just me, that has to improve his rfactor 2 driving skills? :D

7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I tried rudys setup and for me it just didn’t match my style, i made my own and was 0.7 faster on the first lap, his front end suspension was way higher than the rear which was causing steady state and on throttle understeer for me.

It all comes down to what suits your driving style, wings should be around what Rudy is using, 17-20 front with r2 rear, everything else set out to suit your style,if you got the driving line bang on, work on your braking and corner entry, massive amounts of time can be gained here because of the straights and fast corners.

If the ctr+ c shown fine and FPS was fine, and there was no noticeable lag, then indeed it should be down to your driving

I’m not the fastest guy around, far from it actually, but I had my first hrs practice at this yesterday, and went from a 1:33 to 1:31 just getting used to track, with only slight setup changes from default, I haven’t even looked at motec yet for ride heights etc.

Can I ask, how did you get the posted setup in this thread to show in garage, I put into steam/player/settings,track name and it shows in the that folder but not in game

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

@patchedupdemon As said, for me it feels a bit laggy and slippery, even if the green and purple bars and FPS look OK.
    To the Domino Duhan setup i can just say that i've put the unzipped svm file into the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\Silverstonegtlayout
    and it shows up in the setup list in game.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon You might need to toggle 'all vehicles' or whatever it's called, in the setup files screen, as his setup might be considered a different car to yours for those purposes.

@Michael K. As long as that horizontal purple bar isn't full, or close to it, the game should be running fine. Whether you have input lag issues, or somehow inconsistent frame timings or stutter, is another matter entirely. You should try to find threads discussing that, or start your own in the technical support section with your full system details etc in the hope someone might work it out.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  10. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Happens to me too but when I go to join the second time it works. I think it has something to do with Synchronizing Steam Workshop taking too long.

11. patchedupdemon

I had this happen so I unsubbed to all the content I don’t use, it shortened the sync time by quite a bit and I haven’t had it happen since, touch wood

12. Filip

Filip Registered

For me also works every second time

13. pinepan86

pinepan86 Registered

Hi, I wonder if it's ok to ask here, does anyone know the exact track setting the qualify server uses?
    Due to my unstable internet, I lost connection every few mins and it's been impossible to practice. I'd like to setup track configuration for offline practice. All I know now is that the track temp is 29 degree, and I have real road data saved, but what I don't know are Sky/Wind/Humidity settings. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

14. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Wow. Just got my best lap time a 1:32.444. I was 5 tenths up into the final sector, and upon seeing that at the top of my screen I was literally having a panic attack and thankfully brought it home, I probably could've gained more into the final sector but my focus at that point was finishing the lap, didn't want to lose it. I honestly don't think I can do better than that. My goal was to at least match Jimmy Broadbent which is a 1:31.9 maybe I can get around there, but my secondary goal was a mid 1:32 which I got so I'm done for today.

No way I can get in the 1:29's like the sim gods have gotten, not unless I got their setup which I doubt they're willing to share. Haven't touched any of the suspension stuff in my setup because I don't really understand that, but the rest of the menus I feel like I got right.

I'm looking forward to the next one in the M23.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Rudy was doing mid 1:30.x on a default set with minimum tyre pressures (low fuel, high rev limit, soft tyres, etc). What really strikes you watching him (and others at that pace, I'm sure) is if he manages to find a tenth in a corner/section he keeps that tenth often for half a lap afterwards - the hud delta bar is hardly changing. You finding 5 tenths in two sectors means you're less consistent, and if you combined all your best corners you'd probably already be in 31s.

16. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

As I said - sim gods. I will never be that consistent, I've been playing simulators with a wheel for 10 years, and have over 1,000 hours in rFactor 2 alone and I think I peaked as average. :p

whitmore likes this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

did you first unzip the file? then, check the other Silverstone tracks. You may have chosen the wrong one. You can do that while in the game. If you find it in another track folder, load it and the save it(after navigating back to your original track setup page)

18. GiulioS

GiulioS Registered

Finally I managed to gain a couple of tenths: now my laptime is 1'30''3 but I spoilt more or less a tenth in the final chicane. At least the car didn't spin this time... I think that I can go to low 1'30'', maybe I can be in the first 30 laptimes for the race this weekend :p

19. Joe.Mc

Joe.Mc Registered

wait how do you get the r2 rear wing? I only have r1 r1 + gurney and r1 dual gurney?

20. patchedupdemon

When in the car selection screen there’s a tuning option below, click on that and the r2 is the low/mid option if I can remember correctly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.