Released McLaren Historical Racecars!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all, are these new mclarencars kind of dumbed down ??

(not home to personally try for a while, now gokarting in asia)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Pauli Partanen likes this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

No new tyre model = more realism and grip.

3. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Dumbed down as in dumbed down physics and difficulty?
    If you were to compare them to a Marussia (or any type of ISI car for that matter) I would have trouble arguing with you, it's night and day.
    Were ISI cars unrealistically hard to drive?
    Maybe.
    Real-life driver who tested the Formula Two certainly didn't think so, he felt it was spot on.
    The MP4/8 at least does make you feel like you could be doing this too IRL, be an F1 driver :eek:

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Comments like this baffle me Did you put hundred of hours in fitness regimes to keep mentally and physically fit. Have you got the stamina to cope with cockpit temps and a race suit for hours at a time, not to mention the forces exerted all over the body!

Were just people who play video games, were at our desks or fake rigs - nothing more. Cause you can get a good time in a "sim" cars frankly means jack.

Almost like you lack the appreciation what real race drivers go through..

Sorry to be blunt

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Louis and hitm4k3r like this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Just checked the McLaren q times between the 93 and 98 cars in real life and the 98 was 0.6 faster at Interlagos.

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Just had my first proper hrs testing with the 4/8, and I’m liking it, especially how you can really feel every setup change you make, Ive never felt it this good before with any car.
    In iracing you had to go to extremes to feel any changes reguarding the suspension and ride heights.

Really nice to have this level of communication in the physics, well done s397

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Interestingly early 90's F1 cars were from a physical standpoint very demanding cars for the drivers due to the high g-forces that those cars were able to produce, wich again was a result of the very advanced technology. I guess most sim racers would be dead after two laps going somewhat fast with those cars.

At minute 22 Nigel tells something about the topic:

Regarding the too fast MP4/8: it might be that the tires just produce too much grip. From the few laps I tried the cars seemed to stick too much and it was allmost like playing Mario Kart. Watched Rudy van Buren's stream testing the car at Zandvoort and the impression you get is that the driving seems to be played fast forward. That's how fast that car is.

F1Aussie, Louis, LokiD and 1 other person like this.
  8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I dont mean to be rude or disrespectful but I've done a timed session In a open wheeler (avatar) and it was one of the most physical and mentally draining things I've ever done. Of course that wasn't 20 other drivers round me fighting for a spot and me doing an hour or so race..

When u get behind the sim its like yeah OK it's like 30% of what it's like in real life and then there's the experience I didn't get as a novice..

Just I dont think you can compare at all. Yes maybe race lines and braking points. Gears etc and that's really about where the similarity ends.

I'm happy to have 30% of the experience at my pc.

Do I think the sim cars have too much grip or not?.. . Sorry ask someone who has actually driven them.

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

real F1 Drivers do not suffer of those Problems because there would be someone ELSE not suffering and being faster and finally in the Cockpit, simple as this.
    When Berger encounterd Mansell he understood that bear was in an Advantage driving those cars, so he started physical Training. When he got later servo steering he called it in his books an "unfair Advantage" however..ok thats About a Long run

10. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Man, some people will go in great lengths to explain why the physics are off.

GroupC, ApexModding and Louis like this.
  11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

And you've driven the really thing right?

Nah u haven't

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

There are different variables to the problem. Infact your calculations, wich are interesting btw, are only one way to look at it. If the cars limit really is the physical limit of the driver, then you have your answer why sim racers go that much faster in the car, because they simply don't feel the gforces and the fear. Interlagos had different runoffs in 1993 than it has today, just to put your comparison into perspective.

LokiD likes this.
  13. Louis

Louis Registered

Cause you can get better times than professional drivers (some legends) that spend their entire life training for this and also play in simulators means what? Im confused now. Not trying to start arguing with you about you being right or wrong. Just trying to understand your point if you dont mind to extend your argument

14. Louis

Louis Registered

I know for sure he cannot be quicker than Prost or Senna. Mostly because despite gforces can ruin your strenght, these gforces give to them a lot of info to better control the car which we dont have in a regular sim cockpit

15. boxer

boxer Registered

Why doesn't the MP4-8 have goodyear tires considering the car has goodyear logos?

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  16. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I used to race karts and I remember how insane it all felt at the time until I went home and forgot what it was like.
    Then come next Saturday I got back into practice and got that wtf feeling again.
    At some point there was a race involving the Balkan 6-speed championships and the track picked up the most insane amount of rubber I had ever seen.
    During the race I struggled to maintain my breath.
    After coming out it took 3 hours for my breathing to approach normal.
    One week later I suffered a panic attack and developed panic disorder as a result of losing my breath during racing and refusing to retire.
    I have indeed got a taste of how physical purpose built racing machines are.
    However I was 34 at the time with a family and kids and had just gone to race after a 15 hour shift at work on the previous day, missing Saturday's practice and failing to get adequate rest.
    I started doing this at 17 and I know the difference.
    Do you really seriously believe that what separates F1 drivers from the rest of the world is their ability to withstand the rigors of GP racing?
    Or that any healthy youngster who devoted their lives to racing wouldn't be able to become as fit?
    Yes, real racing is brutal, at least when it comes to formulas and that doesn't even begin to describe the amount of stress associated with sitting on the grid, the fear of what is about to happen, wheel to wheel racing at insane speeds.
    So you didn't bother to debunk my statement that this car makes someone feel like they could be an F1 driver, instead you practically suggested they wouldn't because they are not fit enough.
    So no, no sim racer can jump into an F1 car and go a GP distance with it for crying out loud, they would supposedly spend their whole time trying to get fit, eating healthy, learning to cope with stress etc.
    Which is all irrelevant to the topic, everyone motivated enough can do that, F1 drivers aren't special because their bodies can take more than the rest of the human population, that comes with training and discipline.
    I also said be an F1 driver as in being able to control the car, not necessarily have very special talent.
    And all that is based on the performance of the virual MP4/8.
    Because it does not take very special talent to put this car through it's paces.
    I hope this clears things up for you a little bit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    mesfigas and Adrianstealth like this.
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Nice post Chris

I find I hold my breath sometimes on my simulator
    +out here on the go karts (in Asia at mo doing go-karting most days) holding my breath too , I also wore my running heart rate strap&gps watch , interestingly my heart rate patterns over each lap was similar spiking up going into the hard technical parts of the track
    The GeForces are an issue even on gokarts

Was st the Singapore f1 gosh what those drivers do

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  18. LokiD

LokiD Registered

im not the one in need of "clearing things up" my friend.. Hope thats clear enough for you.
    sim racers i think are vastly nieve, just because the sim cars faster than the real thing doesnt mean shit frankly..

As said countless times a simracer doesnt have the full experience, and thats the difference.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hang on , the rf2 McLaren’s get faster lap times than the real world ones driven by professionals ?

20. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I did a league with race of 50 mins at Singapore last week, it was brutal, only one straight you could take a quick sip of a drink and adjust ya plums.
    It was mentally draining, towards the end I was pressing the pit lane speed lmiter button instead of Drs, my mind just went, I was exhausted at the end, not physically but mentally, and that was sitting in comfort in my bedroom experiencing no geforces, heat or fear.

I can’t even fathom what it would be like in real life, it gave me a whole new respect for the guys that do it, I mean they hit laps to within a targeted tenth, every lap, the mental strength they have is unreal, let alone the physical side of things

ekki, Adrianstealth and LokiD like this.