What is the best wheel to buy for Rfactor2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by muzikant, Sep 19, 2018.

1. muzikant

muzikant Registered

I want buy a new wheel to replace my old G27
    Love Rfactor? The sim to go..... any advice?

Wich wheel do you use?

Grtz muzikant

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The best wheel is the best one you can afford. You want to step up, obviously, so belt driven is a minimum (instead of the gearing - helical or not - the logitech wheels use), the thrustmaster TS-PC appears to be a good example although the rim reviews are mixed. Direct drive wheels would be your ultimate, but it comes down to how much you're able and willing to spend - even the TS-PC may seem too much depending on your situation, in which case maybe a second hand T300/500 would suit. I'm only mentioning Thrustmaster because I'm more familiar with it, there are other options but you'll want to do some research to check features, build quality, pedal quality as well.

I'm personally on a T500 I got second hand, had to put a new fan in it because the stock one was making noise, I had to get my soldering iron involved and replace the paddle switches and all the push buttons need replacing at some point as well - but I got the base + wheel at about 25% new price so I don't mind. I can run 0 FFB smoothing in rF2 and it feels good, and the T500 is the oldest of the TS wheels I've mentioned.

muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

How much money you are willing to spend is the 1st thing i ask.
    the second is tell us your computer specs

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  4. muzikant

muzikant Registered

1.000 euro

Looking for fanatec but I hear a lot of no goods about service... quality for 5 years with no pain is important for me

maybe dd from fanatec but I doubt about the first serries they come in december (quality.. failures) and dd is maybe to much for me... for the time I spend on a week... game suport out of the box??

Thrustmaster maybe the ts-xw have someone experience with rfactor2....?

mesfigas likes this.
  5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i was about to suggest fanatec but many RF2 users complain a lot.
    also some Thrustmaster TS-PC complains as well
    i have read both complains and also read that many users who use both CSL fanatec and TS-PC have no problem at all play RF2 to maximum experience.
    both of the above wheels are belt driven and top notch quality " B U T " ...maybe "Feel VR" is a better idea
    Feel Vr is a direct drive wheel and is the cheapest on market
    DD wheel versus belt driver wheel.....................the DD wheel wins by far
    "B U T" Feel VR is very new and not tested by many users to know the pros and cons after years of have use and the most important how the company works with RMA and quarantine.
    Also dont give all your money for a wheel only but have in mind that " a good set of pedals makes huge difference"
    its huge its huge its huge
    i read somewhere for a good set that costs around 500 dollars (load cell) i ll try find the pedals brand and post it here.
    i dont suggest you go for 200 dollars pedals cause potentiometer pedals are not enough.
    so 500 for pedals and around 600 for Feel vr DD wheel sounds like the best option on paper but dont have any experience with the DD wheel that i suggest you.
    be patient and dont spend your money without be sure what you buy.

muzikant likes this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

7. bwana

bwana Registered

6 years with a Fanatec CSV2 , thousands of hours no issues apart from wearing the Alcatera out even with gloves but that just shows how much lve used it and was a simple repair

8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

TS-PC and CSL Elite LC pedals are a great combination.
    I could've gone for a Fanatec wheel but it's crazy expensive to import one into Canada so got the TS-PC locally and at a decent price and don't regret it at all. The strength it provides is enough of a workout for me.
    CSL LC pedals are also a huge upgrade vs Logitech pedals (and heard also vs Thrustmaster pedals) and cheap in comparison to other Fanatec products

muzikant likes this.
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

7 years with g27. Only "repair" i did was cut off the top to play open wheels :D
    But doesnt mean nothing. Its a crap wheel considering all the options :p

bwana likes this.
  10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Unless your wheel needs to be replaced I would, as @mesfigas said, get a decent set of pedals for improving your driving first before a wheel.

mesfigas and muzikant like this.
  11. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Yesterday I ordered the Thrustmaster TX-XW. It was on sale here in the UK . I've been flip flopping between this and the CSL Elite PS4 with Load Cells for months. The wheel base is supposed to be pretty much the same overall, obviously the CSL pedals are much better.

For me though, the TM bundle was £160 cheaper from a retail outlet in the UK and I believe the base is quiet and I'm hoping more 'plug and play' and reliable overall. If it goes wrong soon after delivery I can send back locally rather than to Germany.

It was a tricky choice, a premium product from TM or an entry level product from Fanatec (for the bases). My heart said Fanatec but my head said TM. Reports of rattling and difficult setup in rF2 for the Fanatec was a downside. I know I have compromised massively on the pedals but technically I could still buy them and be in the same ballpark cost of the Fanatec bundle. I also am just playing from Desk and Carpet and the LoadCell sounds like it needs to be mounted.

What also tipped it for the TM was that it seems a few Employees of my favourite sims use the TS-PC/TS-XW so they can't be that bad right?

However if I already had a rig and had 1000 euros I may be looking at the CSW V2.5 bundle. Looks to be the best you can get before heading to DD.

muzikant likes this.
  12. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

Yep i would say pedals first too :)
    I changed my T500 pedals for HE Pro's then after i saved a bit more got a 20nm OWS kit plus wheel
    there are 9nm kits starting to come out now too fair bit cheeper and have plenty of force for most people
    http://www.simtechracing.co.uk/products/9nm-simforce-steering-system
    All depends what you are prepared to spend :) would certainly do the pedals set first

muzikant likes this.
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

IMO there is no point in paying 1000 euro for anything else than a direct drive wheel. Basically anything above T300 is a bit questionable to pay for in my opinion if you want a non-DD wheel. A T300 brings a better FFB delivery compared to G27 and also about twice the max torque. Up from T300, basically the only thing you get from the more expensive Thrustmaster wheels is somewhat higher max torque, but still nowhere close to the max torque of DD wheels. So if you ask me I'd go with the T300 with the larger alcantara rim if you can find it and spend the rest of the money on a quality set of pedals.

SRGP, ekki, Ho3n3r and 2 others like this.
  14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

What ^^^^^ he said, all of it

muzikant and Ho3n3r like this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

my advice go for an OSW setup

muzikant likes this.
  16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yes, I would agree that the pedals are the higher priority. Fanatec CSL LC get quite a good review (I already had the CSP v2 but a friend of mine uses the CSL LC). I use the Fanatec CSW V2 wheel and give it a thumbs up compared to my old G25.

muzikant likes this.
  17. muzikant

muzikant Registered

And how feels it in Rfactor2 the fanatec v.2.....? I hear some people have problems with the ffb

18. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

Well I went from T300 to TS-PC and I can say that the jump is huge. It is not true that it is only a greater torque. It is an improvement in every way. 1) Better ventilation, 2) Less noise, 3) Effectively, more power, 4) Better road details, 5) The F1 steering wheel has an exceptional feel, 6) Better external appearance, 7) Stronger construction (more metal and less plastic).

muzikant likes this.
  19. bwana

bwana Registered

Mine feels great , not in DD quality no doubt but way stronger than G series and with a higher fidelity and a real steering wheel feel to it. I run pretty standard default settings and occasionally raise ffb in game but not by very much . At times l go above 1 for smoothing but not often ( track and mod dependant )

muzikant and JimmyT like this.
  20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

As bwana said :)

muzikant likes this.