Sense of Speed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Mullin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Is there a way to increase the sense of speed, perhaps file or fov settings?
    This is my favorite sim but sometimes it seems as though trees, buildings or scenery doesn't match road speed, specifically on long straights.
    Maybe I need my eyes checked, has any others noticed this?

2. Louis

Louis Registered

I noticed but i think this happen because sense of speed doesn´t come only by visual info (also vibration, gforces play a role on this) You can go with high fov to compensate (i think more info "passing" on the screen causes that effect) but its not the ideal.
    I think the lack of fear of getting hurt also make a difference in this perception :D

Jason Mullin likes this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i used to set the FOV at 57 (playing with 23 inch monitor @ 1980x1080) so the sence of speed was just good....not awesomw but good
    after years of RF2 use i set my FOV on same monitor at 28 and not going back
    cheers

4. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

It think it may be my monitor.
    I just installed a 34" ultra wide which looks incredible, but the wide viewing angle affects SOS.
    That is correct right? A narrow fov= greater SOS.

5. Filip

Filip Registered

Higher FOV gives greater sense of speed as Louis said.
    You can easily test in game on track changing FOV

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

well
    so far from what i understood and having playing a lot of different racing games like assetto corsa Iracing pcars2 AMS and also having watched millions youtube racing videos from all games and from different racers i strongly believe is that the correct FOV is a treasure.
    makes you understand the track and car handling way more natural and after a few minutes the sense of speed (which is a pseudo-sense if it is set too high) doesnt matter anymore :)
    seriously it doesnt matter cause NOW brain knows better what is the EXACT sense to calculate when to steer the wheel while cornering
    there are some FOV calculators that people suggest and also a FOV thread already in discussion these days so i suggest visit that thread and have some answer for your personal FOV
    cheers

pkelly and Filip like this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

+1
    I was also disappointed at first with (perceived) lack of sense of speed when switching to correct FOV.
    But as you said there is no going back after realizing all the benefits

mesfigas likes this.
  8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Whenever you raced a track in real life and in simulation you want correct FOV. Wrong and higher FOV for more sense of speed is just fake. You wont even recognize the track in real life when always raced with fake FOV in simulation. Your brain will adapt too. Slightly higher FOV works too though, thats what I used when raced with monitor. BTW, VR gives you great sense of speed too while everything is rendered correctly like in real life.

mesfigas, Filip, Ernie and 2 others like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Race tracks generally don't feel fast because there's nothing near you. Street circuits, or sometimes permanent tracks that have some close walls and trees, can give you that sense of speed again but driving on a proper race track at 200kph will feel slower than driving on a suburban street next to parked cars at 60kph.

Higher FOV, as most games default to as it allows you to see around you a bit on a single screen, will exaggerate the sense of speed and no doubt switching to lower FOV (or even moving to a bigger screen with the same FOV as before) will reduce that. But you make up for that in the corners...

Raintyre, mesfigas and Emery like this.
  10. Louis

Louis Registered

"Correct" or a little higher fov, the important thing is "stick with your choice and dont keep changimg from mod to mod (like i do even knowing it is a bad practice...)"
    Even with a little higher fov the thing is your brain that will adapt and you will feel immersed at some point just like you did when you was younger with not so good games. Little higherl fov values could cause "mismatches" when you get on the real life track like Vittorio said but most of us dont have this opportunity so this wont hurt much the simulation
    To me, the most awesome feeling when im using the so called correct fov is when im Racing close to the opponents. And thats why when VR get reasonable prices (to me) to get decent graphics settings with no fps strugle, i will jump in easy. Already had the first oculus dk but low res or low graphic quality (i dont know exactly how to call, 2ndlastjedi corrected me once but i dont remember) keep me away from it and decided to stay with 3 screens.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sit as close as you can to a big screen. That way you can set an accuarate FOV that will still be high enough to get the sense of speed. I guess this is obvious, but visually speaking the closer an object is to you the faster it will appear to be moving. Having as much of your peripheral vision filled up by fast moving objects will give a greater sense of speed.

Ernie, DrivingFast and Louis like this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Exactly, I confirm.

The big full HD screens are very cheap on the second hand market (in France anyway) :

It's a very good way to improve its simulator for cheap, and unlike the VR, performance is good with the best possible Graphics on RF2.

I'm not saying it's better than VR of course, but immersion is amazing without the drawbacks (performance / graphics).

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sorry, but implying that the immersion of 2D single screen is even near VR is simply wrong. The difference is so big you can't even compare.

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I did not say the contrary.

15. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sorry but I disagree. Maybe it was because the VR headset that I tried was incorrectly set up or something, but when I tried VR, I simply had no peripheral vision. Most of my peripheral vision was taken up by the black inner part of the VR glasses. I felt like a horse with those blinders on. A very large screen (perhaps even a projector with a screen that wraps around the cockpit) would provide better immersion than VR in my opinion.

patchedupdemon and David Kolody like this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

Not a single chance.
    Graphics and performance still bad for my taste, but VR put you there. I wonder with a good motion sim and VR in 2 years.... (and lottery prize or something eheh)

vittorio and Filip like this.
  17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

If there are VR glasses that fill up my entire visual field (i.e approx 180°) then I would agree. But until then I remain skeptical.

18. Filip

Filip Registered

VR has 100 FOV if I am right?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I believe most current popular sets have around 90-110 hFOV, yes. That's horizontal, vs the vertical measure used for screen FOV in the game, so not a direct comparison in itself.

Better coverage than all but very large single screens, but large triples will allow somewhere closer to 180 hFOV so as far as looking straight ahead, on a straight, that's probably more coverage for the eyes to take in.

It does seem, however, that most people who use VR long enough to adapt to it prefer its stereo vision and the ability to look naturally around over triple screens. Of course a combination of both would really be preferable (VR with very good FOV), in the meantime it's personal preference I suppose.

Filip and green serpent like this.
  20. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Got it sorted.
    I wall mounted my ultra wide about 3 feet behind my wheel when I picked it up. I've since removed it from the wall and placed it directly behind my wheelbase, fiddled with the fov, it's now much more immersive. It's quite bright that close, after some adjustment in monitor, and installing an LED behind I've got things dialed in.
    I'm now very ready for the rF2 announcement coming up in a few weeks.