GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Maybe S397 could make some sort of app to delete these files , as I know we have to delete every month because it become unusable........

2. Depco

Depco Registered

It appears that Noel's website is down again. GetMod Manager is not currently working. Hopefully this can be rectified or a suitable replacement can be found quickly.

3. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Hi all GetMod has been down for a few days now is anything been done to get this back up and running?

BigDuke6 likes this.
  4. AusCar

AusCar Registered

Any news on GetMod not working.
    Becoming very frustrating.
    Cheers

wrxxy and BigDuke6 like this.
  5. Depco

Depco Registered

Judging by the lack of response believe the GetModMgr application is not going to be resurrected. If anyone knows how to get a link into a Vmod please let me know so I can make my Leagues Vmods work with GetMod. Unless the new UI and Competition Structure is going to take care of this. In that case, an ETA would be appreciated.

wrxxy and Daniele Vidimari like this.
  6. knackko

knackko Registered

Maybe Noel is in holyday. GetModMgr is so useful. As you said Depco, new UI and Competition Structure should bring this part. Content download when joining should not be dependant of a third party component.

7. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

Actual bugs, after Internet site is offline (?)
    you forgot the if-loop on the Username / Passsword box.

if u haven't write a password and username in the box and click than ok, you become a Microsoft .NET Framework error + Line Number error. And that's not all. Haha. If i open now the Program, there isn't a Program Icon on the "Windows Task bar" and the Popup Error from .NET Framework is visible

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

According to his profile Noel Hibbard was last seen: Mar 21, 2018

9. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

...someone call him at home!!!!!!

Really, it's a so useful site.....

I dont understand why ISI (now Studio-397) implement such a useful automatic download system, and didn't implement something like Noel has done. Really incredible...

knackko likes this.
  10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I sent him a message on 6th September but he hasn't replied.

11. Depco

Depco Registered

In the past when the site is going down Noel has gotten it back up within a week or so. This time it is going on significantly longer. I believe we can probably write off the getmod manager functionality. It really sucks because it was the most useful mod of any third-party mods that I used as a server admin.

12. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

...I agree... :(

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Man guys I am so sorry for the outage. I was hosting the server at my office and we had a ransomware attack which seriously impacted the business. I haven't followed the forums or simraced in years. I've been swamped at work dealing with the ransomware attack and totally forgot I was hosting GetMod over here. Today I was moving our webserver to a new host and I'm going through the Apache config and saw the commented out VirtualHost and remembered I never dealt with GetMod. Long story short I will work on getting it back up over the weekend. No data is lost but it's a time capsule from 8/9/2018.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    DJCruicky, lagg, McFlex and 5 others like this.
  14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I did some work on this already and the bulk of the work is done. I will finish it up later tonight. Sorry again for the inconvenience. I had no clue after all these years that is was still being used so heavily. I'm amazed it has been running without me having to fix anything for all these years.

McFlex, Bjørn and Juergen-BY like this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Noel Hibbard Not good enough! :p

Extremely useful (and used) service, should already be part of the game, massive thanks for making and providing it and excellent to hear you're going to get it up and running again. I was under the impression some time ago you were more actively involved in rF2 development itself, it's actually a little disappointing now it sounds like you're not.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'd much rather be writing code for S397 than doing boring business software all day. Hahaha

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

So I got peer pressured by all the pretty girls at the office into going out for a happy hour which put my brain in a retard state causing it to take me about 10 times longer than it should have to get this site back up. I spent about 20mins before I realized Apache wasn't loading my config because I forgot to put the .conf extension on my config file. HAHAHA.

Anyways, it's back up.

I'm really shocked this service is in use anymore. I thought for sure S397 would have made their own GetMod service by now. I plan to rewrite my service in an easier to deploy way using something simple like SQLite rather than MySQL. This way admins can host their own servers. Not that I plan to take my service down or anything. Not intentionally anyways.

So now for some stats. There are nearly 10,000 components registered and 1100 users in the database.

Hazi and wrxxy like this.
  18. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Noel thx, that's great to hear.... I am just wondering if theres something wrong with your PayPal as I tried to donate some months ago and for some reason funds were returned to me .... If you could please reply here with your paypal email address and I will try again. AND IF THERES ANYONE ELSE THAT USES THIS APP I SUGGEST YOU GUYS DO THE SAME.
    Thx Noel great to hear this news...... AWESOME

19. doberk

doberk Registered

It was a very useful tool. I used it for a long time until it stopped working several months ago. After that I returned to use rF2 embeded autodownload. I would like to continue using GetMod if I could host it myself in my own server, like other tools I have (Weather Server, Log Analyzer, TeamSpeak...). In the past I propoused you this option, but you refused it because in your own words "I host GetMod 365 days/year and there is no reason GetMod stops working". Hope you change your mind. Anyway, I agree Lazza it is a very usefull tool that should already be part of the game. And I also agree with wrxxy I would make a donation if tool was able to be hosted in my own server.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Those definitely were not my words. I may have said I have no “intentions” of taking it down which I still stand by. I also don’t “refuse” to let people host it themselves. I haven’t released it publicly because right now it literally doesn’t consume a drop of my free time but if I made it public it would consume lots of my time helping people get it running. A few years ago I did actually start rewriting it in a way that would be easier to deploy with less dependencies. I need to pick that back up and release it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Seven Smiles likes this.