Is somebody using TrackIR with rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

...and would you recommend it?

I'm asking this because I can't afford to buy three 4K monitors nor do I have room for this kind of insanity. ;)
    I would probably also use it for DCS so I think it might be worth it, right?

2. Axe

Axe Registered

I use trackIR for almost whole my simracing carrer (3years) and when I am unable to use it (whatever reason), I really miss it. My opinion:
    It is good for looking to the apex in the corners, looking to the sides, good help during exiting the garage, returning to the track when things went wrong, generally it is easy to control the direction of the view with trackir.
    Just do not expect so big contribution in tight fighting with the opponent - in such case you need wide FOV/peripheral vision to check where you go and the position of the opponent at the same moment, so here I am dependant on virtual mirrors still (using single 24 monitor, 38 in game FOV)

so it is less optimal solution than 3screen, wide projection or VR, but when these options not possible, I can recommended.
    Of course, it is good to mention there are similar but cheaper non factory solutions (e.g. freetrack) but I have no experience with them.

And, if you choose trackir, do not hesitate to try experiments with settings. I think it is about personal preferences, I use only 2 of 6 DOF, no deadzones (I am really sick of deadzones in everything), you can play with sensitivity...etc.

ede78 likes this.
  3. whitmore

whitmore Registered

As I have written in other threads the biggest issue for me was the poor return to zero position after turning either way. I did map a button to set zero but just got sick of pushing it every few seconds. I have spent way too many hours trying settings and profiles.

Interesting is that RF2 is not given a game profile by the makers of the software. RF1 got a profile but none for FR2. Also frame jittering at some corners also happens to me. Have since stopped using it. You may like to look for the recent tread started by BWANA asking same question as you.

Look to apex in game almost as good IMO. The device is bet suited to slow walking/running 1st person or aircraft pilot type games.

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i use it, but i find it making me slower, cuz i dont see as much what is the car doing, but i learned not to move my head unless i need to look into mirrors or for a trackout, for example in herpins you see better when to accelerate again cuz its not out of your FoV, sometimes i observed that it even gave me a advantage as i literally saw others accelerating lot later just beacause they couldnt see into the corner, and i could. So.. takes a lot of getting used to, has its drawbacks and advantages.. i always use it, i hate when for some reason i cant

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks everyone.

@Axe I tried the freetrack and the facetrackNoIR. I was quite disappointed with the results. Since I love Flightsims just as much as rF2 I thought I'd go with a commercial product, hoping it will work better.
    @MikeCZ Exactly the late acceleration problem is why I was thinking about using TrackIR in rF2.

I think I now know what I wanted to know. I will go for it. ;)

Thanks again everybody.

6. Axe

Axe Registered

Hope you will be happy and enjoy it.
    I can add:
    Never experienced the problem with centering. This was a pleasure surprise when I started to drive with trackir, how stable is the centering. I expected some problems with that, mapped the button for centering on the wheel. but really use it only at the start of the session. And I participated many long races. generally the problems I can remember:
    - on Puebla track in Race07 I had to use diodes clip instead of normal with reflecting tapes. I think there is something bright on track which reflected from environment in my room and confounded trackir sensor
    - in rF2 endurance races when you swap the previous driver trackir plugin is disabled and impossible to switch on so I was forced to drive without trackir. that was situation about 1 year ago maybe now it is resolved (I reported it to ISI and got the promise they will look at it)
    - I had to disable triple buffering in catalyst driver, this was a suggestion from trackir support when trackir stops after installing new GPU drivers
    another interesting thing:
    I was used to use ingame look to apex function before trackir. After short period of using trackir I was simply unable to drive with ingame look to apex. My perception of space in game was totally confused and I felt the track intentionally deflected from me :). So now when I can not use trackir only disabled look to apex for me...

7. Emery

Emery Registered

You can adjust the amount of "stickiness" for centering. Too much and it feels notchy, too little and you have centering problems. When it's right, you know it!

I'm using TrackIR with triple 27" monitors that are flat-plane (not multi-view). Don't need TrackIR for forward view or apex looking, but use it to check left/right sides when the corners are crowded, setting on pretty darn slow locked to horizon, no yaw, so can glance down at instrument panel without getting tilted view of the world. Haven't enabled virtual mirrors since getting triple monitors.

8. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I use trackir 4 with linear profile(no center deadzone or curve) for racing sims and only 2 axis, no 6dof or roll (only looking left-right, down-up) this prevents unnecessary movement that might cause less connection to what the car is doing. linear movement(with a multiplier compared to actual head movement) allows for more natural look to apex view and return to center (actually I found that with linear movement my head unconsciously turns the required amount for apex view accurately). Thought I don't find trackir fast or smooth enough for quick look around in close fights, you won't see the road while looking elsewhere with one screen which might be disorientating, while in flight sims not seeing what's in front you isn't that important as you don't need to be that precise normally. But I find it good enough for look to apex.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  9. Comante

Comante Registered

I use trackIR, love it, don't like to drive without, probably make me faster, I don't care, since I use Rfactor2 because I like it, not because I want to be the fastest guy on the track. You have to remember that your environmente affect trackIr performances, for example, having mirrors or windows in the field of view of the trackIR is bad, just like having sunshine on it. It's a matter of tastes about settings, I don't use a deadzone, and in RF2 I use linearity, you just simply decide how many degrees of your real head correspond to the virtual one. Having a single monitor (22") and trying to use as low a FOV as possibile (around 35°) it is of invaluable help to be free to decide what lines to take, otherwise you would be forced to turn too early to keep the apex in view. Like other I have a reset position on the wheel, but I use it when I enter cockpit or from time to time, because you change seat position, because on the long run it can get slightly offset.

10. Rik

Rik Registered

the only flaw of the TrackIR. you have to wear a hat or a headphones. during the summer it can be annoying. I use TrackIR 5 and is perfect for me. I also use a button to center the camera. another thing for the benefit of the TrackIR. you can have a perfect view of the adjustment. move your head in the right position. press centering, you have the ability to adjust the camera on board in a perfect way.

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Before shelling out money for TrackIR, make sure to check out the "Delan Clip" from Delan Engineering. Better build quality, flexibility and performance at 1/4 the cost of TrackIR.

Uwe

http://www.delanengineering.com/

PS: Not affiliated, just a very happy customer.

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I use it and feel somehow crippled without. Look to Apex only works when you already turn the wheel, which for some corners might be too early.

No centering problems either.

13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Resurrectimg thread
    do you guys use track IR ?

14. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I use EDTracker Pro, works damn good!

15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

wow i had no idea
    and its old tech not new
    problem is not easy to find on computer stores

16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I did use TrackIR like >5 years ago. I wanted to solve the problem that I never was aware of cars near me. TrackIR for me felt very wrong, rotating the world 50° when your head rotates 10°. That simply feels wrong.
    Get VR, like I did, that simply feels right.

17. hoover

hoover Registered

FaceTrackNoIR with PointTrack plugin using the DelanClip.... works nicely :)

mesfigas likes this.
  18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

very interesting cause i cannot easily find track devices like trackIR or ED tracker here in my country
    what camera do you suggest to buy for this trck to make it works perfect ?

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

ist the sensitive of how much to rotate adjustable ?
    also i said to another thread that VR is in a premature state and i dont buy yet no matter how good some people say it is

20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

"FTNoIR is possible to use with a high-fps camera if you configure all the settings and curves right, but with proper daylight in your room. I found it unusable during night time, which breaks the deal for me.

If you try it with low-fps cameras you will never have any success, though."

thats what ppl say on the internet about Facetracknoir....
    needs good light inside room to track the face :(